Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Another Landlord can of worms
  • thepurist

I’ve got tenants who were due to move out shortly, then had a few weeks until new tenants move in. Old tenants have just told me their new landlord has had probs with tenants and they can’t move in for another 2 weeks. They now want to extend with me for another couple of weeks and are happy to pay.

So far so good, they’ve kept the place quite well and it should still be possible to turn it round in time for the new folks. However my concern is that their new landlord/his tenants aren’t so good and they don’t have anywhere to go when the time comes. They could then just stay on in my place and I end up in a bad place with new tenants who can’t move in.

I’m after some sort of legal back stop to cover me if they aren’t moving out on the due date. They were on a periodic tenancy after a 6 month AST, and gave 2 months notice but I’ve not given them any form of notice yet. Where do I stand?

cornholio98
    Free Member

Depends on how much you trust them to actually leave if they have no where to go………

When this happened to me I had to suck it up put stuff in storage and live on sofas, motels etc. it’s just one of the crap things about renting and moving. If they have already signed a contract with the new landlord then that person might be responsible for putting them up somewhere. Same as if there is an issue and the house becomes inhabitable.

toys19
    Free Member

You are right to be concerned.
    I’m a LL too and have been faced with this.
    I got them to sign agreement to surrender the tenancy, witnessed etc. Then gave them a two week holiday let.Pay upfront on the holiday let.
    For 95 quid you can get annual membership to the RLA which has a free legal advice line.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Another Landlord can of worms’ is closed to new replies.