Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 171 total)
  • another kid mauled by a 'pet'
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

After the poor wee girl in Dundee, a wee lass in Kilmarnock has had her face mauled by an Akita.

Jesus christ. It's time for someone to grow some balls and make a decision on the ownership of such animals.

Xylene
    Free Member

Jesus christ. It's time for someone to grow some balls and make a decision on the ownership of such animals.

You're right.

Time to put the owners to sleep.

bruneep

dog and ferret in the same garden, not a good combo.

Rio

Dog and child in the same garden, not a good combo.

Last night, as Toni lay in hospital, dad James Dixon said: "These dogs shouldn't be with families or around kids. They are killing machines."

Torminalis
    Free Member

I know I am going to get into trouble for this but I kind of consider it to be a form of natural selection.

I have a dog and would trust him to the end of the earth with a kid. If you are the sort of person who keeps a dangerous animal, the chances of your offspring surviving are diminished. Whats the problem?

[dons flame retardant suit]

Mr_C
    Free Member

If you are the sort of person who keeps a dangerous animal, the chances of your offspring surviving are diminished. Whats the problem?

In both cases the children attacked were not the dog owner's children.

So if you or your child end up with your face ripped off by some out of control mutt you know where not to come for sympathy.

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

My parents have had dogs for the last 30 years. Well 2 dogs a spaniel and a labrador. I like fairly placid dogs but I still had to go to hospital after the spaniel bit me. I'd never own a dog myself, getting up at 6:30 to walk it, carrying its shit home in a tesco bag, er no thanks!

But now there appears to be a trend towards dangerous dogs. It scares the crap out of me when I take my 2 year old twins to the park and see a couple of fellas getting some staffordshire or something to jump up and hang off a tree. I've no idea how you control the situation but any dog that looks like a rottweiler / ___ bull terrier should be confiscated on sight and killed regardless of the owner

Rio

Whats the problem?

In this case it wasn't the owner's offspring that was mauled.

My next door neighbours when I was little probably thought the same as you, until they had to take their teenage daughter to hospital to have her face sown back on after their beloved dog attacked her.

bruneep
    CountZero

dog and ferret in the same garden, not a good combo.

My brother has a Golden Labrador, three ferrets and four cats. No problems there, the ferrets love tormenting Honey the dog then running away.
    The Dangerous Dogs Act, like so much legislation over the last fifteen years or so is a useless piece of ill thought-out rubbish. If people want a dog they should have a licence, the dog should be chipped, and the dog kept on a short lead at all times when in public places. A small child has been threatened with loss of an eye after contracting Toxicara Canis, when she fell and put her hand into dogshit that a thoughtless owner had left in a children's play area, which the dog had no right to be in. I've nearly had dogshit in my mouth after riding through some left on a cycle path and it splashed up off my tyre all over the frame and up into my face. If people want a dog then they should be prepared to pay to own it, in the same way as a car or a television. 'Weapon dogs' are totally unacceptable, and should be shot and the owners jailed. Ownership of a gun is considered unacceptable, and so should such dogs be.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I don't have anything against dogs. It's dog owners I hate. I regularly have to kick dogs to stop them jumping on my kids when they are in public parks. Keep them on a lead and away from my kids and they wont get kicked. My kids have a right to not be jumped on and terrorised by dogs.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Did you know, on average, cows kill more people than dogs do.

coffeeking
    Free Member

If people want a dog they should have a licence, the dog should be chipped, and the dog kept on a short lead at all times when in public places

None of that would help stop the above attacks though would it. And people without licenses would magically stop having dogs? Nope. All it would do is make it harder for responsible owners.

RustySpanner

The Dangerous Dogs Act, like so much legislation over the last fifteen years or so is a useless piece of ill thought-out rubbish. If people want a dog they should have a licence, the dog should be chipped, and the dog kept on a short lead at all times when in public places.

If people want a dog then they should be prepared to pay to own it, in the same way as a car or a television. 'Weapon dogs' are totally unacceptable, and should be shot and the owners jailed.

This would massively DECREASE the stupid and thoughtless abuse perpetrated on defenceless dogs every day by ignorant, feckless owners.
    However, as most Britons seem to have the same blinkered, outdated and illogical attitude toward dogs that Americans display toward firearms, it's sadly never going to happen.

Good on you for having the courage to say it.

Let's see how many genuinely responsible STW dog owners are prepared to agree with you.

Northwind

Akitas aren't generally dangerous dogs. You wouldn't want to piss one off but they usually have good temperaments. Very smart though so easily bored, and pretty social, a neglected akita can be a bit unpredictable. Not an inherently dangerous dog though.

I see veronica lynch is out again… "How many deaths do they need before they admit they have problem on our streets?" More than .5 a year I reckon.

Rio

Did you know, on average, cows kill more people than dogs do

Any source for this? Anyway, this wasn't a death. About 250,000 dog bites occur in the UK each year. I expect cow bites are less of a problem.

Northwind

http://news.stv.tv/uk/118368-farmers-issue-warning-after-fatal-cow-attacks/

18 cow deaths in the last 8 years

Your own source isn't very compelling. NHS stats show 3800 dog bites requiring medical attention per annum, your 250000 doesn't seem at all credible based on that.

ojom
    Free Member

i watched a lady approach a bike trailer today with 3 huskys in it

As soon as she was 1m away one of the dogs jumped towards here and tried to bite.

There was a harness and all was ok so it backed down but the question was, why where 3 essentially wild dogs brought into a hall to be tied to a trailer and paraded on the back of a well used of road tourer.

There were huge numbers of people, loud music, epic bright and hot lights, cameras, etc and why wouldn't the dog feel defensive and want to lash out? there was no owner controlling them or making them feel at ease… dogs attack yep, but they are a pack animal, without a head of pack keeping them in check then they will use instinct.
    This is a human failure.

donsimon
    Free Member

I've no idea how you control the situation but any dog that looks like a rottweiler / ___ bull terrier should be confiscated on sight and killed regardless of the owner

🙄
    Sympathy for the victim and punishment for the owner. Am I correct in assuming that there is no form of screening or licencing for "dangerous" dog ownership in the UK?

'Weapon dogs' are totally unacceptable, and should be shot and the owners jailed. Ownership of a gun is considered unacceptable, and so should such dogs be.

What is your definition of a "weapon dog"? 😆

I don't have anything against dogs. It's dog owners I hate. I regularly have to kick dogs to stop them jumping on my kids when they are in public parks. Keep them on a lead and away from my kids and they wont get kicked. My kids have a right to not be jumped on and terrorised by dogs.

Let your kids come near the nice doggy woggy, or even letting your kids run unsupervised in a restaurant or shop will earn them a slap from me, an unprovoked attack from you on my dog will earn you a visit to hospital, big man.

I've nearly had dogshit in my mouth after riding through some left on a cycle path and it splashed up off my tyre all over the frame and up into my face

Never had a traiside pi55 then? Are you sure it wasn't human crap? There are people on here who take toilet roll on rides as they can't control their own movements!!!

Your irrational phobia should be directed at the owners and not the dogs!!! 🙄

Especially for Dd when he comes along. 😉

jumping16 by simoncarter.es, on Flickr

😆

TooTall
    Free Member

I've no idea how you control the situation but any dog that looks like a rottweiler / ___ bull terrier should be confiscated on sight and killed regardless of the owner

I take it you are a copy editor for the Daily Mail? Pure idiocy. We have a rottie. He was a registered 'therapy dog' in the USA and passed all the tests as a PAT dog in this country. He also holds titles for obedience and agility. I don't think there are more than 1 or 2 dogs in our neighbourhood that are close to him in behaviour and temperament. It is the owner more than the breed.

Bagstard
    Free Member

People are getting too caught up in the whole 'dangerous dog' tag. Even the smallest dog has the tools necessary to rip somebodies face off! If a dog has not been properly trained and doesn't know it's place then accidents can and do happen (albeit quite rarely.)

My dog (Neopolitan mastiff x American Bulldog) would fit nicely into that catagory, yet despite huge amounts of provocation she has never harmed another dog, even after being bitten twice. Despite what some would call a menacing appearence she is very popular with the little old ladies we regularly encounter on our walks. She never barks, never chases joggers or cyclists and is generally a bit of a wuss. Everyone we encounter comments on her 'lovely nature', is she a dangerous killing machine?

As much as I do trust my dog I wont be leaving her alone with my baby, that would just be stupid!

As pro dog as I am I do agree that there should be restrictions on who owns 'any' dog. A certain level of obedience training should be mandatory for 'all' dogs. In my experience the owners of larger more powerful dogs are sensible enough to train their dogs, whereas the owners of little fluffy dogs don't.

hora
    Free Member

I've witnessed a Golden Labrador suddenly turn and jump on the back of a Staff (a very special one- silvery/blue in colour) and bite down on the back of its neck.

After witnessing that I wouldn't believe anyone when they say 'family pet' or 'ideal with children'.

All dogs can turn on children especially if they have their fur pulled/poked and hit by someone small in stature.

Bingo is allowed near our son when I'm there but NEVER at any other time.

nickf
    Free Member

You know, you either live in a strange part of the world, or, contrary to your statement, you have a very deep-seated problem with dogs.

In the whole of my life I've never had to kick a dog. Not once. Sure, I've had dogs coming up to my kids in the park, and I'm always watchful, but never has there been a problem. If anything, it's my kids who've got over-excited because of the cute doggy, and have chased after it.

For your own benefit, you should note that most dog owners (even those who don't have dangerous killing-machine child-eating ones) are as protective of their dogs as the dogs are of them. Keep on kicking dogs and eventually you'll end up with a bite from a pissed-off dog and/or a kicking from an irate owner.

bassspine
    Free Member

Jesus christ. It's time for someone to grow some balls and make a decision on the ownership of such animals

You're right.

Time to put the owners to sleep.

He's right, it's the wrong breed(s) of dogs fashionable with untrained and irresponsible humans.

LHS
    Free Member

I've witnessed a Golden Labrador suddenly turn and jump on the back of a Staff (a very special one- silvery/blue in colour) and bite down on the back of its neck.

After witnessing that I wouldn't believe anyone when they say 'family pet' or 'ideal with children'.

All dogs can turn on children especially if they have their fur pulled/poked and hit by someone small in stature.

Bingo is allowed near our son when I'm there but NEVER at any other time.

What complete and utter rubbish.

And to your last point if you don't trust your dog when your not there then why trust it when you are?

anagallis_arvensis

is it me or are most of the dogs on the dangerous dogs act primarily fighting dogs and so should in theory be less of a risk to humans than many gaurding breeds like Malinios or working bred German Shepards, Dobe's etc which would be more likely to attack people. Its just the dogs on the banned list are generally owned by morons. If I woanted a weapon dog and get a MAlinios not a pit bull.

donks
    Free Member

These dogs are only bread for fighting they would never have evolved to the dog they are were it not for the breading so by nature they have the ability to do more harm to people and other dogs than a smaller or weaker dogs. It's true to say that all animals have the ability to harm people when scared, aggravated or other but it's the fact that the dogs in question are so powerful and have jaws designed (by human breading intervention)that are immensely powerful and in some cases lock down. If a person is unlucky enough to be attacked by one of these dogs the outcome is far more likely to be drastic than if said smaller or weaker dog turns on a person. So why do we allow civilians to own the animals when they are meant for military or security service ownership?

Bagstard
    Free Member

bassspine, the breed is irrelevent, any untrained dog has the potential to be dangerous or a loyal pet. The responsibility lies with the owner!

nickf
    Free Member

Donks, I've never seen any dangerous bread. Apart from that awful garlic stuff they serve at PizzaHut – that sh1t'll kill you

Bagstard
    Free Member

donks, by that rational we need to ban powerful 4×4 vehicles, in the wrong hands they can do so much more damage than smart cars!

Some of these dogs, not all were bred for fighting and some of these same dogs are known for their gentleness with children. Hold back your prejudice and do a little more research.

People have different reasons for wanting powerful dogs, had it been up to me we would have a choccie lab, but my wife loves mastiff's. Now that we have Blue I wouldn't swap her for any dog.

ahwiles
    Free Member

easy, any dog without a muzzle gets shot.

the owner gets a fine.

i shall trace my irrationality back to me being attacked by a dog when i was about 6 (Bull mastiff).

can't stand the things (dogs), they're dangerous and anti-social.

soobalias
    Free Member

golden labrador? that would be yellow.

only dog to have actually attacked me was a lab, black as it happens.

aa is right its the guarding breeds that are far more dangerous than the fighting breeds, however neither should be allowed to be kept for pets. Although i would happily add any terrier to that list as well.

hora
    Free Member

I still wouldn't leave any dog with a small child. Full stop.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

easy, any dog without a muzzle gets shot

STW – the home of rational and measured debate.

As a dog owner of many years I can only say from my experience that the problem lies firmly with the owners of these so called status dogs. Properly cared for and trained even a 'dangerous' dog breed will be even tempered and well behaved.

Yes, the dog licence should probably be reintroduced along with compulsory chipping but it won't deal with the sort of lawless scrotes who are attracted to dangerous dog breeds. What is needed is firmer policing of the dangerous dog act but in a world where the police are underfunded and the streets are crawling with powerless PCSOs that probably ain't going to happen anytime soon.

If you have children, just teach them to be wary of any dogs they don't know and to ask the owners if they can stroke them. Common sense people, thats all that is really needed.

ahwiles
    Free Member

and a muzzle.

Lifer
    Free Member

It is the owner more than the breed.

This. Staffys, for example, make excellent family pets if they're trained properly.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

You've obviously never tried to muzzle a dog that doesn't want it. I think common sense is a far more powerful tool than a muzzle but them this country does seem to be short of it these days.

Besides, why should all dogs be targetted because of a few morons with dangerous dogs? It is a sad state to be in when a few law breakers lead to restrictive laws being put in place for the law abiding majority and peaceful dogs are made to suffer.

In a loose parallel for example; the government are now proposing higher alcohol prices to stop binge drinking. It won't work if it is put into law and will just penalise the rest of us who enjoy a drink and can do so responsibly. As with a lot of recently proposed laws and controls it would only deal with the symptoms and not the root causes, just as imposing a law to muzzle all dogs would.

roach

Let your kids come near the nice doggy woggy, or even letting your kids run unsupervised in a restaurant or shop will earn them a slap from me, an unprovoked attack from you on my dog will earn you a visit to hospital, big man.

****t 😕

I've had to have a tetanus jab a few years ago for a bite when a doberman bounded out of the grounds of a building as I was riding past and bit my leg. I shudder to think what would have happened if I was riding with my 3 year old boy 😥

My boy is petrified of dogs because of the number of time that we have encountered out of control "pets" while out and about.

hora
    Free Member

This. Staffys, for example, make excellent family pets if they're trained properly

Even though I'm a dog owner I do marvel at how people believe that they can vouch for and know an animal 100%.

Animals are animals.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Big Dave – Member

You've obviously never tried to muzzle a dog that doesn't want it.

well that's easy – if it's not wearing a muzzle, it gets shot.

dogs are dangerous, they do attack people, all i'm suggesting is a muzzle.

muzzles are fair, cheap and easy to police.

i was 6, it was a very big dog, these are very deep scars.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 171 total)

The topic ‘another kid mauled by a 'pet'’ is closed to new replies.