Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Another joplin 4r problem
  • rab5474
    Free Member

I bought a second hand joplin from pinkbike and the problems have started all ready. I have read all the other joplin topics on here but cant seem to find the right answers. when its down it slowly creeps back up again and i can hear air escaping from the area of the release lever, also it wont stay up when extended it sinks down about half an inch, i have tried “burping” it as mention all over the forums, i also tried recharging the air pressure this cured it for about 30 mins then it started hissing again any ideas whats up with it.

Thanks in advance for any assistance
    Rab

rab5474
    Free Member

Ive checked cable tension and that is not the issue either

rab5474
    Free Member

Anyone got any ideas

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

guides on problems and how to sort them (including an oil/air replacement) here

http://forums.mtbr.com/maverick/speedball-joplin-fixes-496164.html

cycle the post upside down, with lever engaged
    -till it becomes springy
    -remove outer tube (30.0/31.6)
    -remove schrader cap cover (flat head, don’t mess this up)
    gently depress vavle core to release air pressure (may spit a bit) keep valve facing up
    -remove valve core
    DO NOT ENGAGE LEVER AT THIS POINT, REALLY
    -add 2-3cc of 5wt fluid
    -reinstall core
    -air up to 70-80psi
    -install cap
    -reinstall tube
    -cycle post right side up

or call/email 2pure, they are pretty good with replies in my experience.

rab5474
    Free Member

Thanks very much will try that tonight and let yous know how it went

Liftman

Try sending it back to the person you bought it from if its not working properly.

rab5474
    Free Member

Right recharged with air although it seemed that there was no air in it to begin with, what could cause this the valve seems fine

thegman67

i found my seat clamp was to tight after i adjusted that it works fine

rab5474
    Free Member

Yeah i tried all that as well but never healped before i serviced it really sounded like the air was escaping from the release lever

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

rab- mine has started doing this (bought 2nd hand and worked perfectly for about a year ago). You need to send yours back as obviously defective.

I’ve added more air regularily and oil (up to the point where it wouldnt go down at all).

I suspect that an air seal has failed / worn and that 2pure are the ultimate answer – or selling it on pinbike 😉

The “pump up to 75psi” bit keeps mine going for about 2 weeks atm and I carry a cable cutter (for the remote cable ties), a 10mm socket and shock pump now in case it goes mid ride and I feel like “fixing” it.

The real mid ride interim bodge is to use the seat clamp to get over the 1 inch floppy bit and drag it up by hand. Not exactly what it says on the tin and all that ;(

Yours doesnt even last that long – let us know how you get on.

pjm84
    Free Member

Had the same problem.i.e air escaping through the top valve. Recharged and drained and replaced the oil but to no avail. It would work and then it would lose air. Maybe instantly or over a couple of days.

Spoke to 2 Pure who advised me to send it back as it had to be rebuilt and installed with a new valve. Had this done FOC as the units have a 2yr warranty

rab5474
    Free Member

Thanks everyone will give 2 pure a shout tho i wont hold my breath as i dont have a receipt or anything like that

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Another joplin 4r problem’ is closed to new replies.