Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Another Helvellyn question (sorry).
  • ton

planning to get up a mountain in the next month or so.. and fancy helvellyn. so which is the easiest way up, and the nicest way down?

was thinking Keppel cove up and grisedale down. or possibly deepdale if it is worthwhile?

chakaping
    Free Member

You probably already know the Dollywagon Pike descent that leads down to Grisedale tarn is a bit of a handful.

Almost enjoyed it on my last visit a few weeks ago, but only ‘cos my wagon wheels roll over all those steppy rocks better. Below the tarn it’s sublime though.

We actually headed up Keppel Cove, down Sticks Pass, then up Keppel Cove again and down Dollywagon/Grisedale – which was a better value way of doing it for me.

ton

I am far to old and sensible to ride the bit down dollywagon, a mate sent me a vid of him doing it, and is a far faar better rider than me.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Dollywagon is hard Ton, everything below and above it is great though and not too techie. I’ve done it with some riders who weren’t that keen on the techy stuff and even walking the steps on Dollywagon had a decent ride.

cnud
    Free Member

We went up Keppel and down Sticks. I wouldn’t say the up was easy, but unlike Snowdon no actual carrying. The descent from the summit was a tad sketchy as it was well blowy but once on Sticks wonderful flowy singletrack to a boulder fest near the bottom.

jekkyl

when going up keppel, after the mines take the path to the right, if you cross the beck before it starts getting steep you’ve taken the wrong path. I’ve seen a few take the wrong one.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah, if you see a nice new wooden bridge with a funny gate built in – don’t cross it.

🙂

yorkycsl
    Free Member

The dodds is a corker but the long way up & soggy if it’s rainedd but really fast of the peaks going to the top of sticks, a few dabs going down DollyWagon but after the tarn fantastic, typical though i thought I was doing ok with a couple of dabs & a mate cleaned dollywagon I was with the swine!

sandwicheater

Oh flip, just watched a vid of the dollywagon descent and it looks ace. mental note, must head to the lakes soon

postierich
    Free Member

Up Kepple and down Sticks is the easiest and most enjoyable give me a shout Ton and I will join you 🙂

butcher

I went up Keppel Cove and back down Sticks Pass when I did it…

Keppel Cove definitely makes sense going up. All ‘easily’ rideable on the way up (depending on fitness, of course) until you get to the zig zags, and at this point I’m sceptical of people who claim to be able to ride through these…my front wheel was lifting off the floor. They’re steep! I tried. Several times. And failed. You’re nearly at the top at this point. There’s some flatter more rideable sections, and some short steep technical sections that you’ll probably find yourself hike-a-biking.

Sticks Pass has some rocky and steep technical sections. Most of it is a doddle though, but great fun.

stoney
    Free Member

What postierich said…. 😛

ton

if i were to do keppel cove up and sticks down, which would be the easiest way back to glenridding?
    coach road?

Trekster

Ton.
    Go do Snowdon instead 😆
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/27084274@N08/sets/72157647224977799/

If you are going to do Helvellyn I’m up for the challenge if not working. Last time I did it was up Sticks, down Dolly. The temp at the top in a white out was, according to the Ranger, -22!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stoney
    Free Member

Tony…..

The bottom of Sticks (Glenridding side) brings you to the bottom of Kepple Cove (allthough i seem yo remember that when you get to some kinda “quarry” you bare right???) and that leads you to the bottom of K.Cove…..Someone may correct me on that…(GAV????) 😉

We rode from Keswick one afternoon, over Sticks (from Thirlmere) and at the bottom (Glenridding side) we turned back up K.Cove to Raise and back down to Thirlmere/Keswick/Pub/Home. 😆

P20

We went up kepple and down sticks. Sticks is great

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

chakaping – Member
    Yeah, if you see a nice new wooden bridge with a funny gate built in – don’t cross it.

If only I’d read that a few weeks back. Ended up not a bad descent though!.

boxelder

Sticks is a better descent east towards Glenridding Tony – problem solved.

ton

you lot are bloody confusing me now….. ;o)

so up kepple cove and back down sticks towards glenridding?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yep

ton

ace……. 😆

GaVgAs
    Free Member

I find the Keppel cove climb a bit of a slog really although i have seen it cleaned on a couple of occasions,my preferred way up Hellvelyn is a tad cheeky but creates a bit more interest, although if its wet underfoot its probably best to stay on the Bridleway.

From Glennridding head up to Greenside mine and join the sticks pass climb,once you have completed the zig zag carry the trail crosses an old chimney flue from the mine workings, looking up onto raise the flue ends at the base of an old chimney. From here (looking towards Helvellyn) theres some single track that joins the higher parts of the Keppel cove Bridleway.On a good day it avoids lots of walkers too,rejoin the main climb onto Whiteside, Lower Man and then Hellvelyn, best descent for me is either sticks-seldom seen or Wythburn-returning from Dunmail raise up the carry into Grisedale-Patterdale is also excellent.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Ton yes, its an out and back option

Trekster

Think we need some map illustrations eh Ton?

ton

trekster….my head is spinning… 😆

think i am gonna do it midweek, possibly wednesday 22nd oct.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Ton, we went from grasmere up past the hydro station at the bottom of Dunmail raise, which bear in mind was a long hike a bike to the top, then over to Grizedale tarn and the descent into Patterdale, which was fantastic, then back over the way GaVgAs said, finishing with Wythburn descent.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Another Helvellyn question (sorry).’ is closed to new replies.