Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Another gratuitous "which bike thread" (Orange Alpine 160 v. Lapierre Spicy 316
  • saxabar
    Free Member

OK, here goes: like most here the majority of my riding are on natural trails and trail centres in the UK. I'm also lucky enough to have a job that lets me have a month or so in the Alps each year (for how long I don't know, but that story is for another thread!). I've recently sold a Patriot 7+ which I loved but was too much for my local trails. I also have a Marin Nail Trail hardtail which I thoroughly enjoy. I'm looking for something a bit beefier but have very little experience of bikes in-between. I've had a pedal around on an Alpine 160 this morning and now have a test bike ordered ready in a couple of weeks. I'm also trying out the Lapierre tomorrow.

Does anyone have any other advice, and perhaps even suggestions for bikes with a little less weight but won't get out of its depth freeriding/downhilling in the Alps? Whilst not into the really crazy stuff, I'm happy hammering down blacks and reds, and "reasonable" jumps and drop-offs. Whilst inevitably there has to be a compromise, I'd really like a bike where I don't have to give up gravity playtime in France, but still be able to climb like a spanky.

Your thoughts and observations much appreciated! 😀

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I would say the 516 Spicy is a bit more versatile and a bit more of a climber than the 316 and probably more than the Alpine whilst still being an awesome descender…

saxabar
    Free Member

Cheers – it looks a little lighter that the Alpine. It's also in the right price bracket (2 to 3k). I had a quick pedal on the 316 but wasn't convinced about the geometry. Still, I thought it'd be worth a spin and I can always put a shorter stem on if need be.

RHSno2
    Free Member

Don't the Lapiere's have some issues? i.e. things breaking?

Not tried the Lapiere's but the Alpine will still be much fun in the alps (and it was designed based on the riding done in the alps).

dasnut
    Free Member

lots of Lapierres in the alps, the companies french, maybe them and nico know something about that kind of terrain.

oh and blacks in the alps are crazy stuff, so if you are hammering down them you might want a driver 8 or something

RHSno2
    Free Member

driver 8…?

saxabar
    Free Member

The Santa Cruz is a lotta bike! Although I like to get out to the Alps (who doesn't), 11 months is in the UK and that would be a beast to drag to the top!

markd
    Free Member

Spicy's and Zestys are more than capable of a whole load of stuff.

Get a proper test ride.

saxabar
    Free Member

markd – got one for the 316 tomorrow!

saxabar
    Free Member

I test rode the Spicy up on White's Level at Glyncorrwg today. It's very impressive, both on technical climbs and descending (with lots of nice big rocky drop-offs). There's no getting away from the fact that it's not light but that doesn't matter a jot when you get going. If I didn't have the Orange to test in a couple of weeks I'd be buying it tomorrow. 😛

I have just gone through the same dilema – Alpine 160 or Spicy 516?? It was a tough choice, but I opted for the Alpine 160, and having just done the megavalanche on it, aswell as a couple of day rides in the lake district and yorkshire dales, I think Ive found one of the most capable long travel XC/ light freeride typey bikes…

Its a good few pounds heavier than my old Marin Attack Trail (3-4pounds), but it is in a different league when it comes to the downhills, and I could probably save a pound by swapping over the stock Truvative bars, stem and seatpost for lighter alternatives.

I opted for the upgraded hope M4's, Fox DHX air rear shock, and silver paint, so it cost a couple of hundred pounds more than the lapierre, but Im going to be keeping the bike for many years so its not a big problem.

hitman
    Free Member

I'm in almost exactly the same position as you and have gone for a Santa Cruz Nomad. Using parts of old bike plus buying a heavier duty set of wheels for the Alps. Can direct you to some good buys if you're interested. 🙂

rj
    Free Member

A Trek Remedy would be worth a look. Pedals uphill quite happily and it's a total hoot downhill.

huggis
    Free Member

saxabar
    Free Member

Cheers guys – I'm returning the Spicy this morning and will not be so easily persuaded into buying!

Marin_Maketh_The_Man – I take it your total spend then was around the £2700 mark?

hitman – Oddly the Nomad hadn't made it onto my list. I'll see if I can get a demo ride.

huggis
    Free Member

saxabar
    Free Member

huggis – I've gotta admit, the 316 ticked all the boxes yesterday. If they offered a chainset upgrade, I'd be very interested.

huggis
    Free Member

Hey all; I short listed these bikes last year after having my 05 S-Works Enduro stolen twice and didn't like the current version. Did the usual, read reviews, sat on them in the shop etc. and settled on a Spicy 916.

At the end of the day it just felt right and, having ridden Enduro's for a few years, familiar. This is something that you'll need to experience for yourself if possible. Bike performed very well during a recent trip round Torridon and the Scottish highlands and never felt wishing for a different bike, climbing or descending (Maybe carrying once or twice though!)

huggis
    Free Member

ianpinder
    Free Member

dasnutz, you mean you looked at the black runs in the alps, your one sick knarly dude you must be 'the nuts', i looked at those and was busy c**ping my pants when some big pussy on a orange 5 over took me.

luckly I have a sick knarly 8 inch travel nicolai which flattens those knarly red runs out so i can pootle down them without them them hurting my wrists. luckly my friend leant me his knarly 10incher and a managed to tackle those blacks head on

chakaping
    Free Member

Giant Reign might be worth a look. Pick one up cheap when 2009 sales start and put a 36 or Lyrik on it (they come specced with 140mm forks).

Very light for a 160mm bike, brilliant suspension. I love mine, if Giant put the right fork on them in the first place I think they'd be much more popular.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

(Mr MC posting) just bought a (used) Nomad for the sort of riding you describe, and if you check their website there's a list of demo centres.

Half the rental bikes in Morzine are Lapierres, I assume if they were breaking left right and centre the shops would start using something else.

Oranges leave me cold, but Ive only ever heard rave reviews of the Alpine. Do you have concerns about longevity of multi-pivot bikes that might affect your choice?

'09 Reign's will be cheap at years end, but the '10 Reign is supposed to be a step forward and noticeably lighter so might be worth demoing or waiting for?

genesis
    Free Member

Go for the Alpine, everytime.

slowrider
    Free Member

a five with 36's and a maxle rear end has a slacker head angle than an alpine 160, a bit lighter and more versatile too if you go for a talas for the other 11 months of the year.

saxabar
    Free Member

I was talking to the guys in Tredz today (a Cardiff store) and their view was that the Orange range is "past it" and they're living on glories gone and their brand name. Having had a Patriot for some years that was "just right" this sounded rather harsh, but understandable. Mine received a fair amount of abuse and little day-to-day care so I've always thought of them as bombproof. I'm keen to try the Alpine though and the Reign ideas sound interesting. I've had a pedal around on the Five but no proper judgement could be reached – it may well be worth looking at again. Hmm.

si_brodiebikes
    Free Member

Sorry to bang on about it but have a look at the Chumba XCL. Very versatile, can be run with 160 for alps stuff, and will EASILY take the abuse, but still plenty light enough for normal UK riding. Good solid horst link suspension, and of course i am biased but this bike is one of the most laterally stiff shortish travel bikes i have ever ridden!

http://www.progressive-bikes.co.uk/xcl_frames.html

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Another gratuitous "which bike thread" (Orange Alpine 160 v. Lapierre Spicy 316’ is closed to new replies.