Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Another fusebox question.
  • Jenga
    Free Member

We have a fusebox with traditional fuses, ie bits of wire. The kitchen is on a separate circuit and that fusebox has circuit breakers. These look to be plugged in just like fuses, but obviously are easier to reset if they blow.

Question…is it possible to remove the wire type fuses and just plug in circuit breaker type fuses of the appropriate value, or is there more to it than that?

Dudie
    Free Member

It's possible if you have a Wylex board, which many rewireables are. You probably need these:

Plug-in MCBs

Spongebob
    Free Member

You can get plug in replacements, but you may need to replace the plastic covers into which they connect (these are supplied with the plug in resettable fuses). An easy 5 minute job with an electrician's screwdriver and AFTER you turn off the main breaker. Always employ a qualified electrician if you are in any doubt.

saladdodger
    Free Member

As spongebob said but

But Circuit Breakers do not make your house garenteed safe, if you have had fuse blowing issues in the past there is anothere issue????

Just because your lights go on and off everthing may still not be alright

lyons
    Free Member

if you cant afford to replace the whole thing, they are safer…

WHat sizes do you need? I have loads of old ones i could maybe sell you for alot less than that – eg postage plus a beer.

saladdodger
    Free Member

lyons – Member

Not if you cannot meet the disconnection times!!!!!

oldgit
    Free Member

As above.
    Sometimes the lid covering the rewireable fuses wont fit back when you replace with MCBs. Might or might not be a problem.
    Think only Wylex are available, old MEM is all used up I think.
    If they say Proteus I think that's the same as Wylex.
    Must stop saying I think.

Jenga
    Free Member

lyons – Member

WHat sizes do you need? I have loads of old ones i could maybe sell you for alot less than that – eg postage plus a beer.

Hi thanks for that. The fusebox is a Wylex, though several years old. I need 2 each of 5, 15 & 30 plus the plug in covers. Not worried about the fuse cover not going back on – the kitchen circuit box doesn't have a cover and that works OK. mail me if you want to discuss. Cheers.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Another fusebox question.’ is closed to new replies.