Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Another dumb tubeless question, I guess!
  • popartpoem
    Free Member

Help!

I’m new to the tubeless lark and sometimes it works & sometimes, well, you can guess…

My recent bike purchase has Easton EA90 XC wheels with Hutchinson tubeless tyres on it. Great wheels & the tyres are ok for the drier trails of this time of year.

Problem: This is my first tubeless experience &, already, I have mixed experience; the tyres didn’t have sealant inside, so, after the first puncture, I inserted some Stan’s sealant & reinflated the tyre with a track pump … brilliant, holds air no problems.

At the same time I put some sealant in the other tyre as a precaution.

Then I got a puncture in this wheel & the Stan’s stuff just p*#sed out and the tyre deflated. I then used a CO2 canister to reinflate & the tyre went straight back up (although it loses some air over 48hrs or so).

I thought the sealant was there to prevent punctures…. whats happening?

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I guess success depends on the size of the hole and the amount of sealant.

clubber
    Free Member

It can be that some tyres have release agents or similar from the mould that stops the sealant sealing. Try cleaning them out with meths or similar and then put it all back together. Fixed my cx setup which had the same issue as you.

superfli
    Free Member

I’m a recent convert to tubeless and have also suffered a puncture out on the trails, but due to flint cutting the tyre. Sealant didnt seal the hole and I was left getting a lift back home – fortunately not too far from home. My fault for not checking I had a spare innertube with me. This was after about 6 weeks of use. I suspect the sealant would seal thorn punctures and of course theres no chance of pinch punctures, so still some advantages to tubeless which is why I’m continuing to use it.

I expect depending on where you ride and rock type has a say in how successful a tubeless setup maybe. Flints on the SDowns were my cause – and my mates puncture (1 week into his tubeless experience). The flint would almost certainly have cut an inner if that was fitted anyway.

popartpoem
    Free Member

Jeez, quick responses guys! thanks

“TroutWrestler” The hole was from a small(ish) nail, so not huge & I applied c90g of sealant in a 2.25 tyre.

“clubber” I’d never even thought about the mould-oil (release agent) during the manufacturing process … good point … I’ll try cleaning up & starting again.

“superfli” It’s not Flint, I ride up in the Peak District … but thanks for the thoughts.

Cheers

Kahurangi

The more serious injuries to my tyres mean that yes, they sometimes lose pressure before they seal. Pump up again and they’re normally good.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Another dumb tubeless question, I guess!’ is closed to new replies.