Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • Another day in the lbs
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

😀

“I want to buy a hybrid bike with rack and mudguards for £700, it must weigh more than 22lb, which bike should I buy?”

😀

(person on their own) “I have to return this bike rack as it doesn’t fit my Lexus SUV. This is a pain as I can’t now drive my new bike home 🙁 “

😀

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

“I want to buy a hybrid bike with rack and mudguards for £700, it must weigh more than 22lb, which bike should I buy?”

What’s funny about that?

JEngledow
    Free Member

I’m not sure what’s funny / odd about either, the first seems to have a set of requirements and wants to know what you’ve got to fit the bill (although the weight thing is either a typo or a bit odd) and the second just wants a bike rack that’ll fit his car – maybe it was the way it was said / you needed to be there!!

cynic-al
    Free Member

1. A 22lb hybrid, if it exists, is likely to cost £1.5K odd+

2. Why have a SUV but not even put the back seat down to get a clean bike in it?

remoterob
    Free Member

My interpretation of the second scenario is that there is speculatively space within the SUV for the bike. This is based on assumptions such as the pre-existing contents of the boot being minimal. As such, I am prepared to accept half marks for my answer.

BillOddie

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Chap booked his bike in for basic cable a service on Thursday. I get a phone call about an hour later from him asking me to replace the front and rear pads as they were not done (paid for but not done) on the last service. Not out of the realms of possibility but not likely either.

“Did we do the last service.?

“yes”

“and how long ago was that sir.?”

“Erm… around 12 months ago.?”

😯 🙄

10/10 for trying.

JEngledow
    Free Member

Ahh, I didn’t know about the price!!

2. Why have a SUV but not even put the back seat down to get a clean bike in it?

Ahh, the point isn’t that the rack doesn’t fit, but that he ‘can’t now drive my new bike home’!!

Sorry, I’m being a bit dim today 😐

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ages ago I had a customer how had bought a Dawes Galaxy from our other store about 15 years ago.

It was well used and worn. She wanted a refund as it didn’t fit her 😀

nowthen
    Free Member

And then bike shop people come on here and complain about people buying online. I usually prefer my shopping experience with less ridicule included.

stumpyjumper
    Free Member

We never openly ridicule you lot. Just snigger about you once you have gone 😉

scotroutes

Don’t all £700 hybrids weigh more than 22lb……

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Today at the LBS I accompanied a mate looking to spend 2k and had narrowed it down to 2 bikes both of which brands the LBS carried

Mate Can we have a test ride?”

LBS Yes of course, 5 mins round the car park should be OK

Mate Do you have each bike in my size* to try

LBS No

Mate Can you get one in my size to try at a later date

LBS No

Remind me why we buy online when a customer with most peoples monthly wage burning a hole gets treated this way?

* The request was for a bike from the same model line to check for fit, not each specific model. Not unreasonable I thought……..

tpbiker
    Free Member

i reckon you could find a hybrid under 22lb that costs less than £700!

stu170
    Free Member

I want to hear more about the wrong bike rack you sold someone?

Sundayjumper

Off you go. Report back later.

john_l
    Free Member

Think Al’s missed a piece of vital information in his first post.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Today at the LBS I accompanied a mate looking to spend 2k and had narrowed it down to 2 bikes both of which brands the LBS carried
    Mate Can we have a test ride?
    “LBS Yes of course, 5 mins round the car park should be OK
    Mate Do you have each bike in my size* to try
    LBS No
    Mate Can you get one in my size to try at a later date
    LBS No

Remind me why we buy online 

Why doesn’t your mate buy one of each and sell the one that doesn’t want. That’s what the shop would have to do.

scotroutes

Certain models of bike are in short supply so it’s quite possible the shop can’t source one in another size. This supply issue isn’t limited to traditional shops either.

bearnecessities

Ooh, can I play?!

Any good?

granny_ring

Why doesn’t your mate buy one of each and sell the one that doesn’t want. That’s what the shop would have to do.

Really…….?
    Why should he do that….. 🙄

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

We have a dozen or so bikes out the back of the shop that have been built for customers to try before they buy and were never purchased. They will get sold eventually but some have been there a while. Our shop has the luxury of a big warehouse space. I can imagine a typical LBS would struggle to store a dozen “over builds” without it creating a problem.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Really…….?Why should he do that….. 

How long would the shop last if they had to buy two bikes just to sell one?

scaredypants

cynic-al – Member

maybe – what about one that:

must weigh more than 22lb

@bearnecessities: over the price limit, no rack/guards but at least you have got it over al’s 22lb mark 😉

chip
    Free Member

Large chains can move demo bikes between stores for you to try.
    I am surprised that importer/suppliers don’t have demo bikes they can move around in between independant bike shops they do business with at request.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

bikeneil – Member

Thats not a very nice attitude
    Do you work in a bike shop by any chance?

The request was reasonable in my opinion
    The shop had one in his size but not the other
    He asked if they could get anything in from either the importer, distributor or manufacturer
    Not the same model exactly, eg Tiagra/Duraace instead of the Ultegra one he wants to buy

Your comment about why should the shop buy 2 is particularly interesting

The fact is if he buys 2 online he can send one back and get a full refund
    As far as I know someone like Canyon will even take it back within reason after a few rides out

Would the LBS do the same if he rides a bike round his living room then decides he doesnt want it?

Dont get me wrong my family run a small business, but to compete against the internet you need to offer something the internet doesnt. My LBS failed this test today and ‘smart’ posts from people working in the trade dont particularly help

Peace and love to all

🙂

Mbnut
    Free Member

This thread is hardly an advert for the ‘use your local bike shop’ cause.

Firstly, if you want to make a point it is important to give the correct information.

To do that it may help to read back your posts before pushing the go button.

This is clearly an issue with CA and NW.

On the flip side when complaining about treatment at a shop it is helpful to give an accurate account of the conversation. IAS, if the shop simply said ‘no’ then that is poor service. If they explained that it was not possible due to the fact that they would have to buy the bike rather than source it from the distributor or from another branch, I would find that a fair and helpful explanation.

It strikes me that bike shops need to remember that a customer is just that and that they may not have the encyclopedic knowledge of all things biking that the likes of many on here may have.

When I bought my first bike for £500 back in the 90s I was clueless and drunk, the guy in the shop was great. Well over £100000 worth of business from myself and my friends later he is still the guy I recommend to friends that are getting into biking.

As customers it is not always clear how a shop operates, helpful explanations from the staff not only explain why something cannot happen but can also highlight what a tough environment bike shops are trading in, thus encouraging the customer to value and support them.

As a final fling…. I do believe that the distributors and brands should have a fleet of demo bikes that can be booked by shops, especially independents, so that a customer is not expect to throw several thousands of pounds at an item that is very fit specific, I actually think it is an outrage not to provide this service.

Phew, time for a cuppa.

Stainypants

http://boardmanbikes.com/hybrid/hybrid_team.html

10.1kg rounds to 22lb less than £700 if you buy on-line

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Which shops do you guys all work in?
    Just so I can avoid you.

Stainypants

double post

simondbarnes

As a final fling…. I do believe that the distributors and brands should have a fleet of demo bikes that can be booked by shops, especially independents, so that a customer is not expect to throw several thousands of pounds at an item that is very fit specific

Several do

euain

Maybe they’re worried it’ll blow away – shouldn’t he hard to get something well over the specified minimum weight? 😉

Mbnut
    Free Member

For balance, the guys at my lbs are great and on the odd occasion i need to use a particular tool or I am in a jam they are always pretty helpful.

Simon – I appreciate that.

SP – ha… good find and an excellent example of what the shops are up against.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Some people are knobs , it makes no difference whether they are buying or selling bikes.

andy7t2
    Free Member

Had a friend who purchased an innertube from an lbs took it away, inflated it outside the wheel and tyre then tried to get it in. After many failed attempts took the wheel and innertube back to shop saying it was the wrong size. At the time he was dressed in full sky kit.

stevied
    Free Member

Ah, excellent, another “had an idiot in my shop today” thread. Maybe you should be grateful they’re in your shop and not buying online.
    The guy with the SUV might have child seats in which means he can’t put the seats down? Or, maybe he’s just a stupid lbs customer.. 🙄

mattjg
    Free Member

I enjoy these threads, the customer is not always right and I think these are good shops.

One of my LBS stories: “can you get me a ****** ****** frame?” (they’re about £1800 so we’re looking at a £3k + build),
    LBS: “someone asked that 6 weeks ago. No there aren’t any”.

I emailed the importer: “yes we’ve loads, what size and colour are you looking for?”

I kid you not.

jameso

Half that price can get you under 10kg.
    here

boblo
    Free Member

A bike shop owner literally (I mean actually using the words) told me to fkcu off recently when I had the temerity to enquire about a club discount that was published in a well known cycle journal… Service with a curled lip.

tomhoward

Was in the lbs the other day, a bike was in for servicing, 120 mm trail fs bike, adorned with full rack, guards and slicks, fair enough thinks I, we’ve all adapted bikes to fit a purpose. Then saw its 203mm disks front and rear, odd I thought, but again fair enough, could be a chap built for comfort rather than speed shall we say. Then the grips. Or rather I couldn’t see them as they’d been wrapped with tape. Why the confusion? It wasn’t bar tape, oh no, this was tightly wound electrical tape…. Wtf?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Another day in the lbs’ is closed to new replies.