Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Another cheap XML torch option
  • Dangerboy
    Free Member

So, I’ve been doing some research on cheap, bright, 185650-powered torches.

I know we’ve done one of the Deal Extreme options, but I thought I’d go a different route – mainly because I’ve had lots of stuff from DX in the past. The quality has been variable and the delivery has been slow.

I did a some research over on Candlepowerforums and decided that I’d try a P60 host with an XM-L T6 drop in module.

As I understand it, it’s a bit like lego – you can drop (more or less) any p60 module into a p60 host and it should work. So when a new, brighter LED comes out next year I’ll only need to buy a new module rather than the whole torch.

Can’t seem to link to larger pics on their website, so you’ll have to make do with these tiny ones for now – I might be able to add some of my own tomorrow.

The best value host I could find was the Solarforce L2P, which has HAIII anodising and comes in a range of colours. I went for the grey option at $19.99.

I decided I didn’t need flashing modes so I went for the 3 mode XM-L T6 drop-in at $17.50.

I also ordered a smooth stainless bezel because I’m fed up of the pointy ones destroying my pocket/bag, and a couple of their protected 18650 cells as they seem to be reasonably well reviewed on CPF.

So it came to ~$56/~£37 all in.
    Ordered on the 18th, arrived this morning.

The host/body is lovely – nice colour anodising, smooth threads (they don’t appear to be lubed though) and feels nice in the hand.

Changing the bezel and installing the drop-in is easy.
    The drop in rattled around a bit, so I wrapped some aluminium foil around it – this should also help conduct heat away from the drop-in and into the body.

Inside it’s loads brighter than anything else I’ve got, though as others have said, the XM-L seems to produce tighter beam than a P7.
    Seems a little more purple than the P7’s against a white ceiling too, but only barely.

Took the dog for a walk and it’s brilliant – the beam is a perfect balance between flood and depth. Can’t vouch for what it’s like as a bike light yet though, nor for waterproofness.

Niggles/observations:
    It’s a forward clicky switch, which is taking a bit of getting used to.

All in all I’m properly chuffed – lots of light, (seemingly) good quality, not many pennies, and can be upgraded as and when necessary.

Any questions?
    Hope this helps someone!

P20

I’ve seen one of these in the metal they are quite impressive. I’ve just ordered one for work

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Another cheap XML torch option’ is closed to new replies.