Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Another carbon wheels thread
  • RickDraper
    Free Member

Buy Derbys or Light Bikes.

I’ve cracked two ENVE’s recently, one 650b AM that’s been warrantied and one M70 Thirty that looks like it will be a crash replacement at £450 or so. That’s a pair of Derbys right there for the same cost as a crash replacement rim! Not been doing anything out of the ordinary, just riding my regular trails. The light bikes I have are still holding up strong on the same trails, make of that what you will.

Northwind

mboy – Member

They’re essentially viewing the rim as a very short lifed, consumable part, which if someone else is paying the bills, and it allows you to get away with more risque line choices without flatting or cracking the rim, then fair enough.

Supposedly the Syndicate ran most of their enve wheelsets for a full year- and you could tell some had a long life at least, they all looked ****ed 😆 Fresh stickers so they looked nice for photos. I don’t know how many alu rims they’d have expected to use up in that time though.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Buy Derbys or Light Bikes.

same thing,

so either buy Derby’s or pay less for LB

IBIS wide things, were made in connection with Derby as well, which is just LB

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I’ve cracked two ENVE’s recently, one 650b AM that’s been warrantied and one M70 Thirty that looks like it will be a crash replacement at £450 or so.

and your post on Bikeradar says,

Yep not good but unlucky more than anything, rock flicked up and smacked the rim putting a hole in it.

shit happens, surely? it’s not ENVE’s fault a rock flicked up and smashed your rim?

still its not as sensational as saying “cracked 2 rims recently” 😉

butterbean
    Free Member

Supposedly the Syndicate ran most of their enve wheelsets for a full year- and you could tell some had a long life at least, they all looked ****ed Fresh stickers so they looked nice for photos. I don’t know how many alu rims they’d have expected to use up in that time though.

It’s a great internet bullshyte story. There is a certain bike shop in the UK with an entire feature wall of wrecked Syndicate Enve rims. It didn’t even take a season to fill it.

They wreck nearly as many Enve’s as they did the soft DT Swiss rims they ran for years.

mboy
    Free Member

They wreck nearly as many Enve’s as they did the soft DT Swiss rims they ran for years.

Ouch!

I know which I’d rather pick up the tab for… 😕

RickDraper
    Free Member

shit happens, surely? it’s not ENVE’s fault a rock flicked up and smashed your rim?

still its not as sensational as saying “cracked 2 rims recently”

The same rocks have flicked up and smashed my Light Bike rims and they don’t have holes in them. They used to hit my Flow EX’s as well without putting holes in them too.

Basically if you ride in a area that has loose rocks and you have ENVE wheels then consider slowing right down when you pass over it or expect to hole a rim.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Nonsense

You could ride the same trail a million more times and the sequence of events that led to a cracked rim wouldn’t happen

Hence why the rim was replaced under the accident scheme not a full warranty

RickDraper
    Free Member

Only one has been done under full warranty. The other has a hole in it and it’s a £450 fix, a rock strike on a wheel is not something I’d class as a accident and is something I firmly believe could happen to a mtb wheel every single time it’s ridden.

Also take a look at the way a enve rim is designed, very thin sides to the rim which are likely to not stand up to a rock very well at all.

mashiehood
    Free Member

sold my Enve’s now running LB rims laced onto Extralite hubs. One is a XC set and the other is a 38mm set. No more Enve stuff for me, I am now a convert to Chinese carbon.

bravesirrobin

I’ve had a very similar experience to you Rick. I’ve cracked 2 Enve rims in the past year; the first an Enve AM on the rear after a rocky ride in The Lakes – I didn’t even know I’d done it until I was cleaning the bike at the end of the ride. This was replaced under warranty but only after I was a bit persistent and an email was sent to Enve in the US. The second an M70 (also on the rear) I cracked a couple of weeks ago landing on a pointy rock, which flatted the tyre. I would have expected neither impact to badly damage a decent alloy rim. I love the way the Enve rims ride but can’t honestly say they’re worth the money – if they had a rock solid, no questions asked warranty then maybe. As it is I’m probably looking at a £450 crash damage replacement …but TBH I’m more likely to spend this on a decent tough alloy wheelset. Procore on carbon rims is a very interesting alternative though. Rick, how was your experience of the Enve warranty?

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Another carbon wheels thread’ is closed to new replies.