Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Another broken collarbone
  • GEDA
    Free Member

I had a crash nearly two weeks ago (16th August) and my collar bone broke into three bits. (I blame Strava). Two big bits and an additional shard (approx 3/4 cm long) of bone that is sitting vertically with the other bits, the break is about in the middle. The two ends of the bone touching up against each other with about 1 cm of overlap. I have read a lot of the threads on here and other places and I have asked for surgery but I suppose one cannot be ever 100% sure if it is the right idea or not. Especially as the pain is not that bad. I don’t need any pain killers.

One thing I wondered about is just how still it should be. Although it is sore and stiff day to day I do not have much pain and quite a lot of movement. All the stuff on the web says to keep it as still as possible. The physio at the hospital said not to worry and if I didn’t have any pain then as long I was not taking any weight on it or lifting it up using it would be fine. The bones have moved about since the last xray and seem to be jammed together.

So what is the score on keeping it in a sling. To tell you the truth in the sling my arm was just feeling uncomfortable and the lost of strength would be another issue. And what happens to the floaty bit of bone?

40mpg

Done mine twice. First time was very painful so I kept it in the sling a lot. This gave me big problems later with a frozen elbow and frozen shoulder which were very painful too.

Second time I used one of the euro x supports (bit like a cross your heart bra on backwards!) Which gave good support to the shoulder but let me move my arm naturally.

Bone starts healing with soft tendrils making the join so is flexible at first to a degree, then forms a hard oversize lump which gradually reduces a bit. So better to keep things moving as long as its not painful is what I was told, and learnt the hard way!

GEDA
    Free Member

Is that healing with or without surgery?

SaxonRider

You mention ‘vertical’ pieces of bone, and you are trying to avoid surgery?!?

Get thee under a knife, man!

Del

don’t keep the shoulder or elbow immobilised or you will get grief with it later as 40mpg says. TBH if it’s not hurting, it’s OK I would think, but don’t go lifting owt or trying pull ups!
    try and get as much contact with the physio team as you can. ask questions about exercise you can do.

oldejeans
    Free Member

Surgery was never suggested as an option for me. I didn’t need the sling after the 5th or 6th day. Keeping my hand in my pocket did the same job and I was a bit more presentable at work. I was also able to make do without the pain killers after the first few days especially after they said try to avoid the NSAIDs. I didn’t get on that well with the cocodamols. I had my first ride after 18 days and returned to commuting after 21 days. No long term issues other than a bit of clicking in the ligaments when I rotate the joint.

I’m under the impression that if you can avoid surgery, then do.

lookmumnohands

I did mine 6 weeks ago- get it out of a sling as soon as possible.

I only had one for a week before someone on here recommended the figure 8 and I am still suffering with a frozen elbow from the first week use of a sling

My collarbone was full range of motion within 3 weeks and back riding a week later but yours sounds worse than mine.

Steve77
    Free Member

I’ve broken both sides and had surgery both times. My view is if surgery is an option take it.

MrNice
    Free Member

I didn’t need the sling after the 5th or 6th day. Keeping my hand in my pocket did the same job and I was a bit more presentable at work.

did that not make you look like you were playing pocket billiards? self-abuse has to be a worse look than a sling 😆

Healing vibes to the OP though it sounds like a surgeon would be more use

alexpalacefan

Deffo have the surgery. I was told “it’s a bit over-lapped, but it will heal up fine”, and indeed it did.

6 years later my whole shoulder is £”&*$% as it no-longer rests in the correct position 🙁

APF

warns74
    Free Member

I had a crash nearly two weeks ago (16th August) and my collar bone broke into three bits. (I blame Strava). Two big bits and an additional shard (approx 3/4 cm long) of bone that is sitting vertically with the other bits, the break is about in the middle.

You mean something like this?

Get some 80s meccano and dont look back!

GEDA
    Free Member

Yep. That xray looks familiar. I think the worst bit is feeling my muscles being pulled out of place and extra strain from supporting what the bone was doing before. Well 27 years of mountain biking with no previous need for medical intervention was a good run.

warns74
    Free Member

Well 27 years of mountain biking with no previous need for medical intervention was a good run.

Bit spooky this, up to that point I’d gone about 26 years! They actually wanted to plate it straight away but as it was an open fracture decided to wait for it to heal. After a couple of days the little shard was still vertical and started pushing up into the skin on the top of my shoulder and was quite uncomfortable. In the end I’d had enough so went back asked them to get on with it. They did it the next day, it healed quickly was back on the bike in 8 weeks (gentle only). Physio was very good and got mobility back quickly and would highly recommend just getting it fixed.

[The psychological recovery will take far longer!!]

Scapegoat

I broke mine in April. A similar break, with a floating shard, and a partial detachment of the sternoclavicular joint. I was persuaded to have it plated the next day. Within a couple of weeks I had more or less full movement and not a huge amount of pain. Three months on and there was no sign of repair, and the local consultant appeared critical of the decision to plate it. Not sure I warmed to him all that much.

Yesterday I got a letter from an A&E doctor in the hospital where I was repaired asking permission to publish my x-rays as mine was a “seldom-seen” type of injury. Perhaps it’s a cyclist falling off and landing on the point of the shoulder type break?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Another broken collarbone’ is closed to new replies.