Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Another boring "What bike?" question
  • Pz_Steve

Hi all,

It’s the age-old question…. what should my next bike be? I live in West Cornwall, so my riding is like Dartmoor on a smaller scale, but with more rocks and more rain. I’m far from being a talented rider, so I want something that’ll build my confidence and allow (or encourage) me to push myself and release the inner hooligan…! (I’m not ashamed to ride a talent compensator). But I still need to be able to pedal it to the top of some steep and technical climbs.

Ater many hours of research (ie trawling bike forums – and yes, the irony in that was intended), I think I’m coming down to a LaPierre Spicy or an Orange 5. Undoubtedly, both are more bike than I’ll ever get the best out of, but to be honest I’m more concerned with what will get the best out of me.

Would love to hear from owners of either (or ideally, of both, as I know both can be quite partisan). And what else have I missed…?

mrbump
    Free Member

get a good steel hardtail !! best for improving bike skills
    i have a steel hardtail and a 140mm full suss. i mostly use my steel ht for everything.

ashfanman
    Free Member

If you’re looking at Lapierre then a Zesty might also be worth a look – a bit more of an all-rounder than the Spicy, which is a lot of bike for most UK trail riding.

Why don’t you line up a few demos and see what you like?

mboy
    Free Member

Budget?

You only ever going to ride in West Cornwall, or planning on going elsewhere? (if the answer is the former, you don’t need a 5 or a Zesty for certain)

Any shops near you to demo either of them, or any other brands you like the look of?

Pz_Steve

Yeah, I’ve gone through that thought-process and tried the hardtail route before…

Sadly, I’m too old / lazy/ unskilled for that. I want something that’ll cosset me through the rough stuff and still leave me intact. (When I said that “I’m not afraid to ride a talent compensator” I guess that I meant “I’m really looking for a talent compensator”)!!

Thanks for the input, though – I just wish I was still good enough!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Another boring "What bike?" question’ is closed to new replies.