Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Another bike shop rant
  • RealMan
    Free Member

Gave my forks to my LBS on a Friday to get them serviced. They told me it would be done by around Tuesday. A few days short of a month after the Tuesday they were due I get a text saying they’re finished.

Went into collect them and have a moan, asked if they were still going to charge me full price. Yes they were. They were lucky they were revelations, not bombers.

Is there even such a thing as a good bike shop nowadays?

br
    Free Member

Did you not ring them inbetween?

Marmoset
    Free Member

Yep – got my Fox’s back in 20 minutes – Bikeworks in Oswestry 🙂

nickjb
    Free Member

Did you chase them up in between?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

To cap it all, and LBS can’t do any more servicing forks than you can do yourself……

TFTuned next time, or DIY. It’s the only way 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Why you let a month elapse is the question here.

Another one would be why you would not deal with TFT, Mojo or Loco instead as they are proven to be very reliable.

stumpyjon

Yep leave it to the pros or do it yourself – TFTuned get my vote.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I’ve had hassle with revs being serviced/repaired at a well respected lbs. The issue was getting parts from the importer apparently

donsimon
    Free Member

I’ve had a wheel in lbs for almost a year, I have visitation rights but can’t take it home for a weekend. 😥

RealMan
    Free Member

They are very very good at what they do.

And duh, of course I called. I was phoning them once or twice a week FFS.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I suspect Fishers were the issue- stock of parts is a bit poor on their part.

thevanman
    Free Member

So did you establish what the delay was??

Hadge
    Free Member

If a shop takes a job on that needs parts and they’ve got non then obviously they have to get them from their supplier and they will have to wait. Maybe that’s why they took so long. If they already knew they had non and declined to take your job on would you have been happy with that service from them – even if they were being honest?

RealMan
    Free Member

Perhaps Hadge, but you probably shouldn’t say it will be done in a few days if its going to take a month to get the parts.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Quite often (very often in fact…) distributor websites say something is in stock and it turns out it’s not, so they may have been right. There are a lot of outside factors, usually distributor related, that affect repair times.

Drac

In this month at no point did you think “Maybe I can try some where else”?

_tom_
    Free Member

On the topic of crap bike shops, I was in halfords today looking for a full face (incidentally they don’t have any) and heard who I assume was the “head mechanic” type guy talking to a new member of staff. He said “this is a headset remover” whilst pointing to a length of metal pipe and a hammer 😆

RealMan
    Free Member

In this month at no point did you think “Maybe I can try some where else”?

Well no, as its a 20 minute drive to the bike shop, which is a bit of a hassle. And they never actually told me it would take so long, they always made it sound like it would be ready any day now..

druidh
    Free Member

_tom_ – Member
    I was in halfords today looking for a full face (incidentally they don’t have any) and heard who I assume was the “head mechanic” type guy talking to a new member of staff. He said “this is a headset remover” whilst pointing to a length of metal pipe and a hammer

And?

Jamie
    Free Member

He said “this is a headset remover” whilst pointing to a length of metal pipe and a hammer

Wasn’t lying tho.

Hadge
    Free Member

Realman you have to understand sometimes we are at the mercy of someone else too! Not everyone has service like CRC and with the best will in the world, suppliers sometimes let shops down with spares. It’s frustrating for the shops just as much as the punters I assure you.

druidh
    Free Member

RealMan – Member

Is there even such a thing as a good bike shop nowadays?

I’d like to think so.

thomthumb
    Free Member

where was this?

rOcKeTdOg

druidh – Member

_tom_ – Member
    I was in halfords today looking for a full face (incidentally they don’t have any) and heard who I assume was the “head mechanic” type guy talking to a new member of staff. He said “this is a headset remover” whilst pointing to a length of metal pipe and a hammer

And?

+1

s’what i’ve used for the last 10 years

thevanman
    Free Member

Errr, Halfords isn’t a bike shop!! lol 🙄

Jamie
    Free Member

druidh –

I’d like to think so.

Well assuming you have not had a pair of forks sitting in the workshop for a month, and have not heard anything from the customer, then I think you’re ok.

_tom_
    Free Member

It’s what I use as well (and it works well enough) but for a “professional” (using the term loosely as it’s halfords) to be using it doesn’t seem right when you can get proper tools for it.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

naive.

M6TTF
    Free Member

don simon – Member
    I’ve had a wheel in lbs for almost a year, I have visitation rights but can’t take it home for a weekend.
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

lol brilliant

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

If a shop takes a job on that needs parts and they’ve got non

If the parts are needed for something they do regularly (like service forks i’d’ve thought) then they shouldn’t take on what they can’t do. It’s pretty easy to see when you’re running low and get new stock in *before you run out*.

A month? That’s shit.

Drac

Well no, as its a 20 minute drive to the bike shop, which is a bit of a hassle. And they never actually told me it would take so long, they always made it sound like it would be ready any day now.

What they have no phone? They didn’t tell you I know but surely you realised how long it was taking, after a couple weeks did you not have doubts.

You see this is also a case of the person also not helping themselves, at any point you could have collected the forks and tried elsewhere or done the job yourself.

If the parts are needed for something they do regularly (like service forks i’d’ve thought) then they shouldn’t take on what they can’t do. It’s pretty easy to see when you’re running low and get new stock in *before you run out*.

Maybe the shop had been waiting for 6 weeks for new stocks.

elaineanne
    Free Member

i thort TFTuned only ‘tune’ forks…do they service them too… 😉

llama

Mojo, TFT, or DIY

My LBS says the same to their customers despite having an otherwise excellent workshop

4ndyB
    Free Member

We send almost all of our fork repairs & servicing away to Fisher or Mojo.

Had 2 forks repaired in the last 3 weeks, 10 day turnaround from Fishers.

Fishers have been a bit hit & miss lately, they ‘lost’ one set of forks for a week, which meant a longer wait for the customer.

It’s not always the LBS’s fault that things sometimes take longer than initially expected (no stock with suppliers, wrong part sent, courier cock ups..) but the LBS in the OP should have kept him informed as to any delays

dans160
    Free Member

I paid 30quid for my length of pipe with a park tools logo on it! I already had the hammer.

elaineanne
    Free Member

this is an extract from Mojo’s website which sounds good to me.. mite send mine off to them very soon… 😉

Mojo Suspension is your one-stop shop for Fox suspension servicing.

We are the UK’s only Fox Racing Shox authorised warranty and service centre.

Call us first on +44 (0)1633 615815 when you have any service or warranty queries or simply if you need to know anything about your Fox mountain bike suspension.

We are famous for our fast turnaround times and parts inventory.

**There is nothing we can’t fix and most jobs get done within 1-2 days!**

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Another bike shop rant’ is closed to new replies.