Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)
  • Another £4000 build on eBay
  • Buttscratcher
    Free Member

WTF?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SANTA-CRUZ-BLUR-XC-CARBON-SIZE-XL-DREAM-BUILD-/320703122873?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item4aab654db9

How did that cost his £6000 to build? Did he buy, train and clothe two hundred monkeys?

And why Hope M4 brakes?

And what are Flaot ML forks? (sic)

And a Monarch 3.3? as a deam build… I think not, laddy.

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus.

wwaswas

if that’s an XL and he needs that much seatpost showing he must be about 9ft tall…

2009gt
    Free Member

I wanted Tech 4 brakes because i wanted great brakes!
    Fox Float 120mm forks D Head
    3.3 vs rp23 i had the rp23 on a previous bike and didnt rate it
    personal pref

sc-xc

You joined to flog your peculiar bike. You are rude.

I’m out.

creamegg
    Free Member

call me a short ass but seat posts that high look redicalous

2009gt
    Free Member

Yeah post was a bit high in that pic!
    But i am 6ft 4 so its going to bit bigger than yours!!!!!

Kato

How did that cost £6000 to build then lad?

creamegg
    Free Member

how come ur selling a brand new frame and virtually new components for a loss of £2k? have u ever ridden it?

Edit: assuming that it cost £6k in first place

althepal

To be fair the frame alone is about 2.5k is it not?? It’s a pretty good spec (viewing on mob site so can’t see wheel type etc..) but 6k seems a bit steep. I’m also wondering why the shock needed rebuilt (with upgrades) if the frames brand new?? Why would you upgrade a new shock that you’d specc’d when you bought the frame? Why not just pay a touch more for a fox??
    Don’t consider myself much of a flamer but it does seem steep, even with full xtr..

RealMan
    Free Member

lol @ seatpost.

steffybhoy
    Free Member

SHOCK; ROCKSHOX MONARCH 3.3 JUST BEEN REBUILT WITH UPGRADES

Brand new frame? but shock needed rebuilt with upgrades? wtf?

2009gt
    Free Member

Frame is a warranty replacement, original had bubbles in the laquer shock is original but rebuilt at the same time as warranty swop out frame.
    The top xc build from santa cruz is 5800. but i wanted different wheels and other bits
    Wheels; mavic crossmax with racing ralphs
    Hope ceramic bottom bracket.
    chris king head set.
    FSA K force bars and stem
    Full XTR
    Fox Float 120mm inc remote lock out
    Lizard skin grips
    Easton EC90 carbon seat post
    SDG Saddle
    Hope tech 4 brakes with floaters and braided hoses
    All brand new
    P.S im now selling the frame only`

creamegg
    Free Member

you still dont say why your selling it. none of my business i admit but if i was buying a ‘brand new second hand bike’ i’d want to know why its being sold for a £2k loss. You’r not an engineer are you?

bol

TBH while I understand regular STWers getting a bit huffy about people only joining the site to sell stuff (don’t agree personally), I don’t get why people make such a fuss about sellers using full RRP to help big up the value of the things they’re selling.

In quiet moments of boredom I’ve been known to tot up the full RRP price of my bike, had I bought it all new, just to make myself feel smug about what a bargain(!) it is. Works out not far shy of £6k, and it’s a hardtail. If I was trying to sell it complete, would it be inappropriate for me to use the figure for a bit of context?

j_me
    Free Member

The following haha is not from amusement but an expression of contempt. Ha ha!

M6TTF
    Free Member

To be fair, quite a few bikes are being specced with monarch shocks these days, they’re supposed to be pretty darn good. Brants offerings are specced with them I think?

AD

+1 for bol.
    If you think 2009gt is asking too much – don’t buy it!

creamegg
    Free Member

i dont care about the price just curious as to why someone would go to the effort of buying a brand new bike and not ride it then sell it for a potential loss. If i was interested in buying it thats the sort of info i’d want. makes me feel theres something suspicious about it

TheFlyingOx

i dont care about the price just curious as to why someone would go to the effort of buying a brand new bike and not ride it then sell it for a potential loss. If i was interested in buying it thats the sort of info i’d want. makes me feel theres something suspicious about it

How about seller got in over his/her head when speccing the bike and went off at the deep end, got the mother of all bollockings from wife/husband when the final bill appeared and now has to recoup some of the money to pay for a divorce lawyer? Entirely feasible.

creamegg
    Free Member

yes im sure there are load of feasible and valid reasons. just curious thats all cos if i’d bought a ‘dream bike’ id sure take it out for a blast before considering selling it

thepodge
    Free Member

its almost as if he’s not already posted its a warranty replacement the way you lot keep banging on.

creamegg
    Free Member

warranty replacement for some air bubbles in the finish. hardly a reason to sell a replacement dream build frame. anyway just wanted a reason why it was for sale but will settle for some vague answers in fear of banging on too much.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

bol, I dont believe RRP gives any useful context. Full RRP is pretty meaningless and quoting it assumes ignorance of the potential buyer (or for the purpose of an insurance claim!). Look at high end frames, new old stock Turner DW 5 spot, Yeti ASR7, Ibis Mojo, DeVinci Hectik, Orange Alpine all are or have been available this year at massive discounts close to half RRP (less than half price in the case of the Yeti). Then throw on a half price 2010 Marz fork from wiggle, or heavily reduced RS fork from Merlin or On One, a groupset from actionsports.de etc and you can build a top end bike for half of rrp (and thats before we go the used route, which from your post both of us have done).

Deveron53
    Free Member

If I was selling a top-spec bike on ebay, it’s the public marketplace and I’d give it a bit of snake-oil!
    If I was selling it via STW forum I’d be a bit more open etc as it’s a market populated by techy troll types!

Different market, different customer – different selling technique.

Bad ebay selling technique from 2009gt IMHO but you never know, some rich nutter might bid while pi$$ed one night!

The OP wasn’t 2009gt but someone linking the ad for the purposes of pi$$taking, 2009gt probably came across the stw post and thought (unwisely!) to try and defend himself!

creamegg
    Free Member

im not pi$$taking, just want to know genuine reason for selling. oh actually i forgot about that seat post.

2009gt
    Free Member

Jesus christ you lot!
    The frame is new (warranty replacement)
    The original bike was built up late 2010 (hence the rebuild on the shock whilst frame was being swapped). which is a bloody good shock it was sent for service and they did upgrades FOC.
    I built it up from new stuff not the cheap toot thats half RRP.
    i can only say what i paid!
    In future everyone should listen to and buy there bikes from munge-chick as he seems to know everything about nothing! x RRP was used to show how much i paid and what a bargain it is. I have nothing to hide so genuine questions please.
    To all others i wish you all many punctures lol
    Never been on a forum before thanks for the entertainment.
    Im looking to get a 29″er poss tall boy or Blur TRC thats the reason for sale of frame.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

oh dear

creamegg
    Free Member

welcome to STW 😉

Deveron53
    Free Member

i was defending you…ahem, but i did criticise your ebay selling technique so instead of punctures can i settle for a slight false-brinelling of my lower headset race? (plus, i’m tubeless so probably won’t affect me anyway)

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

“cheap toot”? I had nothing against you and posted in reply to Bol not you about the value of quoting RRP, but if you genuinely paid full RRP for everything then youre in the minority here. My list of stuff is not tat (if thats what toot means), its all good quality new kit available at far less than RRP flagged up by others in threads here.

If I bought a highly regarded Ibis Mojo frame for the full RRP of £1800, is my used one now worth £1100, a massive saving on my RRP, when The Bike Chain are selling them new with warranty for £1100? Or is in fact RRP totally irrelevant in defining a used bike or part as a bargain?

As Deveron says snake oil marketing might work on ebay (people regularly pay more there for used stuff than it can be found for new) but it wont work in a forum populated by enthusiasts who regularly flag up deals (I’d have an £1100 Mojo tomorrow if I had the cash).

Oh and “chick” might be hint to poster gender? Any bike is only worth what someone will pay for it, good luck with the sale.

edit; given the posted sale ended weeks ago, I assume from your comments it didnt sell? Doesnt appear to have been re-listed though?

Kato

oooh joining to potential flounce in less than 24 hours. I’m impressed 😀

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

This thread is ace, I can see points from both side.

IMHO i’d strip it and sell seperate. A LOT more money in parts than complete bike, I’d be intereseted in the chainset and the seatpost as prop for my washing line but not the whole bike.

2009gt
    Free Member

PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! dont forget to check your tyres lol

mr_mills
    Free Member

Tool

IanMunro
    Free Member

Is it being sold to fund a jet washer for the patio?

aracer
    Free Member

PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! dont forget to check your tyres lol

It comes with punctures? You should have gone tubeless.

BTW have you actually sold this yet? You do realise that being rude to potential customers isn’t in the salesman’s handbook?

ampthill

Surely recomended retail price is a reasonale thing to compare to.

I mean thats what a shop does in a sale isn’t it.

last years wonder bike was £4000 now £3000

They don’t say last years wonder bike £3,000 but I think one went for £2,800 from cheapbikes.com last week. No mentioning the full retail price?

Buttscratcher
    Free Member

Even more amusing is what some people will offer on eBay on a Buy it Now or Best Offer sale.

Some little chancer went for the princely sum of £1000.

I’d say that is taking the proverbial urine. 🙂

2009gt
    Free Member

aracer; I dont think the sceptics are the potential buyers just wanabees! I was going to say being an arse isnt in the buyers handbook but i could be wrong lol
    This is fun

tomhoward

You paid full RRP for every single part? A fool and his money are easily parted and there one born every minute….

There’s a banner ad for Chain Reaction at the bottom of this thread, I recommend you look at it, but make sure you’re sat down and have mug of sweet tea on the go.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Another £4000 build on eBay’ is closed to new replies.