Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Another 1x topic, sorry ..
  • seadog101

I quite like the idea of going o a 1×10 set up. So, I thought that a relatively cheap option would be just to get a chain guide and see how I get on.

Saves me all the expense of N/W chain rings, clutch mech, Wide range cassette etc.

Chuffing heck! chain guides are expensive for what they are: one or two bits of fairly simple machined metal, a plastic moulding and a few bolts. Why? Am I missing something?

nemesis
    Free Member

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/xcr-bb-mount-chainguide.htm

Worked fine for me and £17 (I’m considering that that’s a reasonable price).

Or you can go really bargin and just leave the front mech there and set the limit screws.

Conan257
    Free Member

I’ve had the superstar jobbie as well, great kit considering the price differential to other brands.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

similarly i’m using this one from superstar components.

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/xcr-st-mount-chainguide.htm

Set up and no problems at all since.

jimjam
    Free Member

Would it not be much cheaper just to get a narrow / wide chainring?

*edit. I dunno why I phrased that as a question. It would be much cheaper to just get a nw chain ring.

davewalsh
    Free Member

+1 for just getting a NW ring. I’m running 1*9 with a superstar ring (£26) and haven’t dropped the chain at all in the last 6 months.

essexbiker
    Free Member

I’ve got this fitted to my 1 x 9 http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/xcr-st-mount-chainguide.htm it was a right faff to get it to sit properly – wish I’d gone for the BB mount version

coursemyhorse
    Free Member

I bought a narrow/wide chain ring for £35 and I’ve used and abused the bike with minimal lube for over a year and still never EVER dropped the chain.

Superficial
    Free Member

I quite like the idea of going o a 1×10 set up. So, I thought that a relatively cheap option would be just to get a chain guide and see how I get on.

Chain devices are extra dead weight. OK they’re not made of lead but it’s all unnecessary weight
    Narrow Wide rings are more effective
    You’re going to need to replace front rings at some point so you may as well go NW

Chain devices are now defunct unless you already use a narrow-wide. IME NW rings are more effective at keeping the chain on than just a top guide. If you’re running NW and still losing the chain / want extra security then fair enough get a top device. FWIW I run a NW and top device (e13 XCX, BB mount version) but I’m sure most people will be more than happy with NW.

Clutch mechs are a luxury and IME do more for sound-deadening than chain retention. I.E. They’re nice to have but not necessary. When I’ve left the clutch turned off (accidentally) I haven’t had problems with the chain coming off.

ianfitz
    Free Member

I’ve run a hope narrow/wide with bog standard non clutch mech for 2500km of Peak District riding on a hard tail and the chain is still where I left it!

Worth the money I recon!.

bruneep

I’ve been using This WN If mike would crack on with getting a web shop up and running I’d buy a couple more.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Another 1x topic, sorry ..’ is closed to new replies.