Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • annual leave and handing your notice in
  • Jeffus
    Free Member

Need some advice, I’ve handed my notice in and will be finishing at the end of the month, I have 6 days annual leave left, but my employer says I can only have one day, does anyone know if this is correct and how is it usually worked out, thanks

atlaz
    Free Member

It’s not correct. Tell them to shove it. I’m leaving and have 16 days left to use in 9 weeks. What I don’t use, they’ll be paying me for. Unless you signed some sort of mental contract of course. But if they refuse to be reasonable, call citizen’s advice then decide how much those 5 days are worth and whether you want a tribunal over them.

uplink
    Free Member

Depends when your holiday year runs from

you may only have entitlement to the 6 days if you worked until the end of the year

atlaz
    Free Member

Well yeah, if you haven’t accrued all of those 6 days then you’re not entitled to them (I’ve accrued my 16). If you have accrued them, they should definitely pay for them.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

If you only work part of a year, you only get entitlement for the part worked – ask them to show you the calculation.

cp

as above – you only accrue the proportion of holidays that you’ve worked during the holiday year.

Lets say your holiday year runs Jan-Dec. You want to leave at the end of Sept. So, you’ve worked 9/12 months, or 3/4 of the year. Therefore, you get 3/4 of whatever you holiday entitlement is. Take off however many days you’ve had off this year.

If you’re numbers don’t agree with theirs, ask to see how they’ve worked it out…

FuzzyWuzzy

We accrue our holiday at 2 days per month (in arrears), even though it’s treated as 24 days annual holiday. You only accrue the holiday after completing the full month so if you hand your notice in half way through the month you only get to take any holiday you’ve accrued from previous months in that holiday year.

ebygomm
    Free Member

You only accrue the holiday after completing the full month so if you hand your notice in half way through the month you only get to take any holiday you’ve accrued from previous months in that holiday year.

That’s not how it should be worked out. You must accrue leave from the day you start. If you start on the 1st of the month and leave 3 weeks later you are still entitled to some leave despite not having completed any whole months.

Taff
    Free Member

What Uplink says, I have 2 weeks left but holidays run for the complete year so if I finished now I wouldn’t get all of that. It’s also the same if you use up all your holiday and then leave before the holiday year is up and then you will lose those days from your pay

Jeffus
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, my holidays run from Jan to Dec, 20 days, and I had taken 14 days already, so maybe the 1 day left is right.

geetee1972
    Free Member

No maybe about it.

GJP
    Free Member

geetee1972 – Member
    No maybe about it.

+1

Jeffus
    Free Member

Thanks again I feel reassured all is correct.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘annual leave and handing your notice in’ is closed to new replies.