Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Annoying Noise – Grrrr!
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

so over probably the last 5 weeks ive had this really niggly annoying noise when climbing only out of the saddle and up steep road hills – its not a creak nor a click but something inbetween the both is as best as i can describe it 😆

it literally doesnt do it sat down at all, it doesnt appear to do it off road (unless its masked by the gravel/terrain), it only does it sometimes (not on every road climb standing), so its intermittent too

its not the end of the world type creak, as its never constant and its never there on all the climbs, i thought it may have been a chainsuck type noise from worn cassette/chain/ring (1×10) but ive changed all of that so rules that out!

i did think it could be headset (hope tapered) so ive given that a grease and re-fit (but it sort of sounds like its coming from the drivetrain area) and id ziptied all my cables quite tight so ive cut them all off too

i had some new shimano pedals recently so cant be that, seat post/saddle interface isnt a problem as its out of the saddle

rear maxle grease and done up tight

chainring bolts tight and greased, bearings seem fine in bike and no play, wheelset is brand new and was doing this noise on old wheelset too

any thing else missed out on?

dashed
    Free Member

Bottom bracket? Could see that in the list of things you’ve replaced/checked?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

sorry – BB is a hope and stripped recently and fully regreased (spinning silently and free)

akira

Have you checked frame for any cracks?

Underhill
    Free Member

Knees?

luffy105
    Free Member

I’ve had similar recently on my road bike and it turns out it was a spoke. whether rubbing against another or the rim I don’t know but it is annoying. It happened after I got forced into a pothole and walloped the back wheel. it didn’t buckle the wheel but I think it must have strained or stretched a spoke somehow. Annoying because the bike ran smoothly and silently and now doesn’t. Put the wheel into the lbs but they were unable to fix so stuck with clicky bike now.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i have’nt properly know as ive not cleaned it for a while whilst its been dry – i will have a thorough check this weekend though

i’ve had noises in the past, ones that are constantly there, annoying as hell, but always managed to figure out what they are, this one however as its quite a trivial one and not always there/not as annoying i really cant track it down, its no real problem as its completely silent seated climbing so i guess ill just have to sit for climbing instead!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

mine cant really be the wheeels – as it did it on a set of old of wheels too and i have some new ones now too

globalti
    Free Member

Have you removed the LH crank, tapped out the BB axle and greased it where it sits inside the bearing races? I bet you’ll find it looking a bit polished where it’s been fretting.

coursemyhorse
    Free Member

Does it do it when you pedal of just roll along, or both?

Nobby

Had similar a couple of years ago – on the advice of my LBS I removed the rear mech hanger, cleaned everything, then put it back. Noise gone.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

globalti – ive had the cranks off (standard HT2 BB) and greased it all putting it back on? torqued up the bolts etc? not sure where you mean it will look a bit polished?

coursemyhorse – pedalling up steep hills standing only

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

rear mech hanger – good shout! i haven’t tried that so will give it a go!

retro83
    Free Member

have you checked the drop out is tight?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

drop out is a maxle and is pretty tight – ill try the mech hanger its only a 2 minute job provided i dont round off the bolts

Nobby

i haven’t tried that so will give it a go!

It was about the only thing I hadn’t checked.

Nobby

Double-post

pjm84
    Free Member

Yep had a rear mech hanger creak and tried everything prior. Swapping BB, chainsets, wheels, servicing the headset etc. Turns out it was the hanger bolt.

iainc

brake pads/pins rattling ?

my new xt’s do it and I thought for a while it was my fork steerer !

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Annoying Noise – Grrrr!’ is closed to new replies.