Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Annoying knee pain
  • larry

Happy new year to all. I have a knee problem which I wondered if anyone could shed some light on. Sometimes when riding my knee becomes very painful on the inside at the bottom of my knee, it is then very sore afterwards for a few days. When riding though if I lean forwards and rest my forearms on the bars putting me in a stretched out position the pain goes, so could it be related to my back as I know the body works in strange ways and does anyone know anything that may help? Cheers

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Not sure but I have had that pain – last year when I was running to get ready for the Gt Bentley 1/2 marathon and overdid the training – it gradually went with time.

I think pains like that are often due to an imbalance in the strength of the muscles (or maybe tightness of the muscles) of the leg – I have very tight hamstrings, as do most cyclists and runners.

I good book on stretches is “The Stark reality of stretching” – all lower body stuff and apparently he is well regarded.

The best stretching for cycling for me is to actually stretch the gluts, so I try to touch my toes but keeping my back straight as I bend rather than ending up like a question mark. Watch women, this is how they bend over…

Spin the pedal if you can, rather than pounding the pedals as this puts a lot of stress through the knees.

If you are bandy legged or similair and use clipless you might consider if you need canting, like ski boots. Otherwise make sure you have lots of float – maybe with Time Atacs, CBs or Look 4.4s.

bennyboy
    Free Member

have it as I write this and can be caused by a number of things.

1. Patella Tendonites – inbalance of tendons around knee cap, either speak to doctor or physio re some exercises or google it.

2. core strength or lack of it. Try doing core exercises and this may help. you may need to strengthen your glutes but dont forget to strech them as mentioned by TurnerGuy

3. Streching, hamstrings and your back.

As said its often an inbalance in muscle / tendons but if you have been doing a lot of training you should back off for a bit and look at doing the above exercises.

some people also take Gluclosamine tablets but thats a whole other discussion on if they actuall work.

I should say I am no physio or doctor just personal experience with this injury.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Annoying knee pain’ is closed to new replies.