Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Annoying cranks!
  • butlerjamesp
    Free Member

I have an X9 crankset and want to remove it to check to see if i can put a spiderless n/w chainring on (Works Components specifically) but i am having trouble removing the bolt, appears as though the 150nm torque rating is beyond holding the opposite side whilst you pull up…am i missing/does anyone have a nifty trick to remove the cranks?

Cheers in advance.

argoose
    Free Member

Put opposite crank on kerb and stand on wrench

butlerjamesp
    Free Member

I dont have any kerbs near by that are safe to do this on. Any other ways? tried clamping in the workstand but it just twisted the frame out of the clamp!

everyone
    Free Member

Try shock loading the bolt using a long allen and hammer/foot, will probably need to get a friend/passer-by/animal to hold the other crank.

You can definitely run a spiderless chainring with an X9 crankset, I did it to my old 456.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

allen key in hole, old handlebars on allen key for leverage.

wwaswas

Use a luggage strap to tie the crank arm to a chain stay.

flowerman
    Free Member

Get the other side of the crank jammed somewhere? Maybe under a log, or old stool? Put a long ish piece of tube over the Allen key, and well push! If its still stubborn hit it with a mallet

butlerjamesp
    Free Member

Managed to lock the pedal under the workstand leg and stand on the leg and used an old handlebar to force it, christ almighty it was tight though!

@everyone – cheers for the info, although post-removal i have noticed that i can….just need to find fifty notes now!

butlerjamesp
    Free Member

and decide on a tooth quantity! old crankset was a 26/39, and having ridden Llandegla (blue route mind) with just the 39 ring operational and finding it fine with just a couple of places where i could have done with a slightly lower gear, i’m wondering whether a 34 would be ideal…but then i think the hill into Lee Quarry or the MBR trail at CYB would become a bit of a churn if i made that choice. i’ve looked at the calculators and they come out with decimal numbers which i have no idea what it means…anyone know what they translate to in the real world?

JoeG
    Free Member

Now make sure that you use some antisieze when you reassemble it so that you don’t have the same problem next time! ❗

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Annoying cranks!’ is closed to new replies.