• This topic has 269 replies, 65 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DrJ.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 270 total)
  • Animals soon to be classed as 'not sentient' in Britain.
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Are we not animals now?

Under EU law, animals are currently recognised as being capable of feeling pain and emotion. But MPs have this week voted to drop the inclusion of animal sentience into the Withdrawal Bill.

https://www.farminguk.com/news/MPs-vote-to-reject-inclusion-of-animal-sentience-in-Withdrawal-Bill_47923.html

joshvegas
    Free Member

Just us and the aliens then?

AD

False news. Gove promised higher standards following Brexit and he would never lie…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mrblobby
    Free Member

Anyone know the background to this? Who’s lobbying? What’s the agenda?

RustySpanner

Taking back control…..
    I’m off to tweak a rabbit and there’s nuthin’ you snowflake libtards can do about it…..

Is there a more repulsive politician than Gove?

Hard to choose between him, Boris, IDS, Redwood and Hannan, but Gideon just shades it.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

What’s the agenda?

Removing pesky restrictions on animal welfare in order to exploit animals more fully. At a guess. Bloodsports? Fox-hunting and badger-baiting can’t be cruel if foxes and badges aren’t legally sentient.

Green Party MP Caroline Lucas had submitted an amendment clause (NC30) to the EU (Withdrawal) Bill, which sought to transfer the EU Protocol on animal sentience set out in Article 13 of Title II of the Lisbon Treaty into UK law, so animals continue to be recognised as sentient beings under domestic law.

At the end of an eight-hour parliamentary debate, the new clause was rejected, with an 18 majority for the Government – 313 against, 295 in favour.

More here:

https://www.vettimes.co.uk/news/bid-to-transfer-recognition-of-animal-sentience-into-uk-law-defeated/

onlysteel
    Free Member

Vile man. I presume shame is an emotion he does not feel.

nickc

experimenting on animals…can’t hurt them if they’re not sentient.

what a steaming pile of arseholes the Tories are

bikebouy
    Free Member

8 hours to review common sense then overturn it?

I’m waiting for some Karma, we’re told what goes around comes around.. quite when seems a long way a way.

I think it was overturned purely for the fact that the Bullington club can now use real live Pigs for thier perversions. 😈

mrblobby
    Free Member

At a guess. Bloodsports? Fox-hunting and badger-baiting can’t be cruel if foxes and badges aren’t legally sentient.

FFS, what a bunch of utter **** 🙁

Make you wonder what else will sneak through almost unnoticed by the public in all the noise of brexit 🙁

Houns

I’m ashamed to be British

Where can we find a list of MP’s that voted for this?

CheesybeanZ

Our Lizard overlords won’t like that .

BillOddie

List of MPs who vote aye and no at the bottom… https://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2017-11-15a.475.0

crosshair
    Free Member

Got you lot know how to make a storm from a tea cup. Our welfare standards in all respects are higher than Europe but don’t let that get in the way of a good froth.

Fwiw, Badger control, including the use of dogs beneath ground (not baiting!) is perfectly legal in France regardless of the sentient sideshow!

chestrockwell

Someone needs to tell my dog as she certainly seemed to know what pain was after catching her claw in the car boot lock yesterday.

mattyfez

That’s utterly disgusting, I’m not sure how to express.. I’m speechless.
    And they say they want to use the so called ‘repeal’ bill purely to make the administrative process less laborious..

The true colours are shining now..

Northwind

Even if you don’t care about animal welfare this should be sounding an alarm for everyone who thinks we’ll transfer all the EU laws and protections to UK law when/if we leave. If you want to imagine the future…

mattyfez

Indeed.. It’s very obvious they want to rip up any law that stops them creaming in the cash for thier offshore accounts, and **** every one else.

ctk
    Free Member

How can that be a law? Its like saying water isn’t wet ffs.

More votes for Labour

footflaps

They also voted down an amendment to keep all our EU based employment rights after leaving the EU….

You can see the agenda here, bin all health and safety legislation and just focus on becoming a low wage, low skill, tax haven for billionaire newspaper owners.

jamj1974

Vile man. I presume shame is an emotion he does not feel.

He would, but he’s not sentient.

mattyfez

He would, but he’s not sentient.

There’s definitely some strong irony in this decision.

slowoldman

Disgusting.

binners

It shows you how much their word is worth when they say they’d just transfer all EU law into UK law.

When we said we’d transfer all laws, we didn’t actually mean ALL….

zippykona

Amazingly Chris failing Grayling voted like a ****.
    He is on my put up the bunting when he dies list.

iffoverload
    Free Member

Human beings are Animals, there is really no diference biologically.

We just are so arrogant we have classified ourselves as separate.
    Our track record bears much evidence of being non sentient.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Amazingly Chris failing Grayling voted like a ****.
    He is on my put up the bunting when he dies list.

He’s been on mine since he **** the prison service. The blokes a prick.

ninfan
    Free Member

Got you lot know how to make a storm from a tea cup. Our welfare standards in all respects are higher than Europe but don’t let that get in the way of a good froth.

Fwiw, Badger control, including the use of dogs beneath ground (not baiting!) is perfectly legal in France regardless of the sentient sideshow!

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KF6SNxNIV08[/video]

Good to see so many outraged about animal welfare legislation, just in time to see them go and order their Christmas Turkey from Bernard Matthews

jambalaya
    Free Member

If this is such a big deal where were Labour ?

AD

Voting to try to stop it for the most part. Look at the for/against breakdown.

Northwind

jambalaya – Member

If this is such a big deal where were Labour ?

bigjim

Removing pesky restrictions on animal welfare in order to exploit animals more fully. At a guess. Bloodsports? Fox-hunting and badger-baiting can’t be cruel if foxes and badges aren’t legally sentient.

I think the push will be from farming industry, they stand to make the most from not having to adhere to current animal welfare standards. I’m sure a lot of the big farmers will be significant tory donors. One of the tories mooted dropping animal welfare regs so the industry could “self regulate” a couple of years ago but there was a big outcry and it was shelved.

mattyfez

Human beings are Animals, there is really no diference biologically.

They are, but some of us animals are prepared to make concessions to ease the suffering of others, that’s called ethics.

mattyfez

I think the push will be from farming industry

It will, but not in the way you think.

The removal of this law is to allow cheap imports of meat that’s been in humanly treated.

Because imported inhumane meat is cheaper.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

There’s a lot to cover. But for now:

Take action

And, lest we forget:

#torystories

bikebouy
    Free Member

Thanks for that..done.

I suspect those who have kids will have a hard time explaining this to them, certainly if they voted Brexit.

I can hear it now “ daddy you and mom voted Brexit didn’t you, so why don’t you care about animal welfare?”

Good luck, but i suspect you’ll not say a word, just continue to stick your heads in the sand.. and think “yea whatevs”

Junkyard
    Free Member

and then continue eating your bacon and sausages and then move on

No offence but if you really GAS stop eating them – they dont really like that bit however “nice” you decide to slaughter them

dannyh
    Free Member

It’s how we’re going to win the global race to attract investment post-Brexit.

A world leader in tax avoidance/evasion and experimenting on animals. I can feel my chest swelling with national pride……or is it bile and puke rising in my stomach?

It’ll appease the swivel-eyed loons who’ve been just waiting to overturn any snowflake legislation that stops them chasing and torturing animals to get themselves off.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Of course, raising animals and selling the produce will become much harder due to incompatible legislation.. in a post Brexit world..

“We’d like to,sell you some UK meat”
    “Non, merci”

Which of course leads us back down the shit farming practices as Chicken Battery Farms..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 270 total)

The topic ‘Animals soon to be classed as 'not sentient' in Britain.’ is closed to new replies.