Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Angleset in a Carbon Frame where the bearings sit directly in the frame?
  • pbooker1995
    Free Member

Is it possible? Any bearings only out there?

globalti
    Free Member

What do you mean?

Plenty of carbon road bikes have the bearings simply sitting on 45 degree slopes between the head tube and the crown of the fork. It seems to work although the bearings do get wet and mucky with water thrown up from the front wheel.

richwales

The offset comes from the cups doesn’t it? No cups = no offset?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

If you’re talking Specialized, then no, it’s not.

mintimperial

It might be possible, but it depends on the frame. I have a Canyon Nerve which has a lower integrated bearing headset. Works Components made an angle adjust headset for that frame specifically, it’s an external cup that fits in outside of the integrated bearing, just like a normal external headset cup. It works very well, so you can definitely angle adjust some integrated headset frames. But the Canyon has a massive aluminium headtube, plenty strong enough; a carbon frame could well present an insurmountable problem.The bit of the headtube outside of the bearing surfaces will be essentially cosmetic, I think, and therefore not very strong at all.

Its not something I’d like to risk myself without getting the opinion of someone who really knows their onions on the subject to take a look at the specific frame in question. Having a headset bearing part company with the rest of a frame would be highly entertaining…

pbooker1995
    Free Member

The bearrings sit directly in the frame headtube. Is it possible to get offset bearings? Unlikely I know

mintimperial

No, I think the only way to do it is to fit external cups outside the original bearing surfaces.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Works won’t make one for a Specialized, as the bearing sits directly in the frame the tolerances arn’t good enough to make a cup to create the angle with.

I enquired about one for my E29 when I had it. There is a perminant solution, in that they can make a cup that’s a ‘close’ fit and perminantly bond it into place.

You better hope you bond it in straight and true though, because once it’s in, it’s not coming out again. You might be limiting your resale market too…

batman11
    Free Member

Is the frame had tail or full sus? If full sun you not looked at bushings for the rear shox?

breninbeener

My 2014 Cube Stereo hpc wont take one.

However my Orange Gyro has one and its brilliant

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Angleset in a Carbon Frame where the bearings sit directly in the frame?’ is closed to new replies.