Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Angleset for 1 1/8" Headtubes – Production Pics + Finished Job
  • dirtyrider
    Free Member

after i asked about anglesets for 1 1/8″ headtubes someone directed me to a thread on mtbr

anyway, had one made,

cost $220 shipped so about £145

changes head angle by 1.5°

was shipped out yesterday, here is the production pics and finished article

Vortexracing

I’ve been watching that thread, as I wouldn’t mind trying one on my 5 spot.

I’m assuming you got it direct from Saar G7?

look very good

what bearing does it use?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Cane Creek ACB 36×45°

yup got direct from SaarG7

slowrider
    Free Member

Wow what a great idea! Quite expensive but that custom for you. How many bikes do you look at but decide against because they are a bit too steep? You could just factor the price of one of those in!

Is it standard headset only or do they do internal etc?

chakaping
    Free Member

Are you goign to tell us how it works or do I have to trawl MTBR?

Please don’t make me do that.

🙁

mocha
    Free Member

isn’t it simply that the bearings sit in the cups at an angle?

chakaping
    Free Member

Ah I see on the cups now.

And there’s enough space within a standard headtube to accomodate 1.5 deg difference in angle?

epicyclo

Brilliant.

Getting perfect alignment on the cups is going to be fun though.

STATO
    Free Member

Getting perfect alignment on the cups is going to be fun though.

If it uses drop in cane-creek bearings then it makes little difference. Have a K9 angleset in my DH bike and i intalled that with a hammer and a bit of wood, runs as smooth today as it did a year ago. Im sure there will be plenty of internet engineers out there who will disagree tho.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

shouldnt be too hard to align, im assuming thats what the milled section on each cup is for

mttm
    Free Member

Thanks for posting this – I wasn’t aware that this could be done, so really interesting (I have geek tendencies, but I’m okay with that 😉 )

dirtyrider
    Free Member

😀

no worries,

i didnt really need it, just wanted it, bike im building has custom shifters, a custom bb axle, thought i might as well have custom headset as well

Vortexracing

is yours the std headset type dirty rider, ie std headtube with 1&1/8″ steerer?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

yup

GW
    Free Member

bike im building

didn’t occur to you to “build” one with a suitable H/A then? 😛

I do like tho..

but why so expensive when he’s clearly made shit loads of them?

martinxyz
    Free Member

Some folk on here would have seated yer bearings with a mallet like that.

For free!

If these were used on some peoples mix n match bikes.. they could have a 29er fork fitted into a 26″ frame (thats going to throw the head angle a bit too laid Back) but once these cups are fitted (the wrong way round) you could bring the head angle back closer to its sweet spot.DIY 69er folk will be hunting for these cups.

Rickos
    Free Member

Is it just a straight 1.5 degree difference or are there adjustable increments in between or is it a case of a different headset for 0.5, 1 and 1.5 degree changes?

Very interesting! I’m amazed there’s enough room in a 1 1/8th headtube.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

didn’t occur to you to “build” one with a suitable H/A then?

🙂

frame i have was more about budget, (although the budget got blown out the water for the rest of the build, i just havent got 2k to drop on the frame i want yet) and older frames tend to have steeper headangles, not that that bothered us years ago when we rode them,

no increments

would assume you could use it the wrong way round to steepen

schrickvr6
    Free Member

but why so expensive when he’s clearly made shit loads of them?

Because they are custom made based on the length of the headtube and the angle required.

GW
    Free Member

schrickvr6 – was it you that made these?

a mate recently offered to make me a complete one off set of reducer cups on his new CNC machine thingy for nowhere near the cost of these ones. He should be pretty happy if there’s a demand for them at this price. 😆

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Nope just pointing out they are custom based on the length of the headtube, so running off a small batch isn’t really feasable. It is quite expensive but not really much more than something like King or Acros.

GW
    Free Member

Despite being made specifically for an exact headtube length and angle each set of cups will infact still fit a fair few slightly different head tube lengths and work fine albeit with slight angle change from the design. Plus, many bikes share very similar head tube lengths anyway.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Despite being made specifically for an exact headtube length and angle each set of cups will infact still fit a fair few slightly different head tube lengths and work fine albeit with slight angle change from the design.

Maybe it just my brain not functioning correctly but I don’t think that’s true, the angles lining up is based on the length of the headtube. Alter the length of the tubes and the cups will no longer line up, meaning the fork steerer won’t even fit through both ends of the headtube. You’re right with frames sharing the same lengths but I wouldn’t be confident about running off a big batch and selling them. 😀

GW
    Free Member

doesn’t really matter what you “think” when you’re wrong.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Care to back up your obnoxious comment with some fact?

schrickvr6
    Free Member

You are definitely wrong but I’d still like to hear your reasoning.

toys19
    Free Member

Nice. Just want to see pics on the bike now.

GW
    Free Member

hold on, don’t get your knickers in a twist 😛

put simply, tolerances do not need to be anywhere near as tight as you seem to think for one angleset to work in a variety of similar headtube lengths.

epicyclo

The Cane Creek Angleset uses a spherical interface which allows the bearings to self-align regardless of headtube length.

The Saar G7 version seems to depend on normal headset bearings which are fixed in angled positions. I think these would be very dependent on being within the specified headtube lengths.

Edit: found this on Cane Creek’s site

Slightly different headtubes may be possible with the Saar because of tolerances are never exact, but there is not much scope for a large variation.

The Saar G7 version

GW
    Free Member

The Saar G7 version seems to depend on normal headset bearings which are fixed in angled positions. I think these would be very dependent on being within the specified headtube lengths.

Agreed 😉

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Agreed

Define within specified headtube length?

each set of cups will infact still fit a fair few slightly different head tube lengths and work fine albeit with slight angle change from the design

The angle will not change this is defined by the cups.

You may have a possible few mm tolerance before you’ll start scoring your steerer tube and crushing the bearings, any more the steerer tube will not fit….GW originally what you were saying is you can take one angleset designed for X length headtube and this will fit Y length heatube fine, but will just alter the angle, this is not the case and that was my argument.

Edit: The first question is not aimed at Epicyclo, I agree completely.

GW
    Free Member

The angle will not change this is defined by the cups.

FFS, of course it will, slightly.. simple secondary school geometry will tell you by exactly how much.

GW originally what you were saying is you can take one angleset designed for X length headtube and this will fit Y length heatube fine, but will just alter the angle, this is not the case and that was my argument.

that is NOT what I was saying at all, go back and read what I said carefully, I’ve already given you a clue what to look for 😉

Northwind

There’s at least 2 head angle modifying headset thingers available on the market that are based on a small range of sizes fitting into a variety of headtube lengths. Each one covers a small range of headtube lengths but most head tubes fall into the acceptable lengths. My Works Components kit works this way, K9 are the same I think.

People are getting very excited about the Cane Creek one just because of marketing but the fact is the existing method works, and is simpler and cheaper, and the same would apply for these things. Stop worrying about theory, look at what works in the metal.

epicyclo

A simple test would be to put a headset in a frame without the top portion, insert fork so that it is seated at the bottom bearing, and then see how much wiggle you have got.

That would give an indication of how much tolerance there was in the lower part of the headset.

robdob
    Free Member

Blimey, you guys really need to get out more……. 😉

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Jesus, theres some (maybe just one) tools on here..

toys19
    Free Member

Jesus, theres some (maybe just one) tools on here..

Indeed.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

will he be useful for fitting the headset?

just got an email through with fitting instructions, nowhere near a mac that has word at the moment,

will have a look later

dirtyrider
    Free Member

fitting instructions basically say line up the marks, plus the usual headset gumpf

when i ordered i specced for 100mm headtube, asked about ability to use on other length headtubes

the answer was

The bearings are concentric with reference to an axis that is offset from the head tube axis.

If you move the cups along the head tube axis, the bearings will not stay concentric.

Hence you will not be able to run the steering tube through them and maintain the correct interface with the bearings.

Acceptable tolerance for HT length before you run into problems is +/- 1mm

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Is it OK to say I told you so now? 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Angleset for 1 1/8" Headtubes – Production Pics + Finished Job’ is closed to new replies.