Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 117 total)
  • Angle headsets – how slack have people gone?
  • Northwind

Works are a small op but not quite one man. I think their main constraint is machine and tank time, so when stuff goes out of stock it can be a while before another batch happens. I always get theirs, just out of loyalty, I don’t like buying knockoffs but it’s a bit different when they’re out of stock

docgeoffyjones

Both times I’ve dealt with Works it’s been a woman I’ve been chatting with, doesn’t seem like a 1 man thing. Wouldn’t you want to check they don’t have it listed as available anyway? Freeborn have been ‘interesting’ with availability in the past (the opposite though, saying they have something available when they don’t)

I have an email alert for restock and i did contact works asking when they would be back in stock and they said it would be a few weeks. I phoned freeborn on the off chance they would have one in stock, the guy at freeborn was really nice and it seemed easy to order through him so I did. I assume there is some arrangement between the two as freeborn are advertising works products on their website.

You could always look to see if Superstar have got your size in stock.

I had a look but they don’t do EC34

Stevelol
    Free Member

Just had a first ride out with a -2 degree Superstar Slackerizer, before at 67degrees:

after at 65degrees (checked with that funky app thing):

it feels a lot more composed now at speed, the steering is a little bit more ponderous when climbing but it’s fine really.

chrissyharding
    Free Member

Can these headsets be used to steepens headangles too?

legend
    Free Member

Yup, don’t think I’ve heard of anyone actually doing it though

chrissyharding
    Free Member

Thank you. 🙂

rompinrita
    Free Member

Anyone know if I can get a works headset to fit my Spesh Enduro? It’s the fully integrated type I think with no press in cups…

docgeoffyjones

(checked with that funky app thing):

What is the app thing?

chiefgrooveguru

Anyone know if I can get a works headset to fit my Spesh Enduro? It’s the fully integrated type I think with no press in cups…

I don’t think so.

Stevelol
    Free Member

The app i used is called Bubble Level, rest of against your fork leg and it’ll show you the head angle.

thepodge
    Free Member

I think you can get cups that let you fit normal headsets into fully integrated head tubes, fairly sure I have some in my spares box but I’d imagine they are few and far between and may limit your angle headset choice.

Works might machine you a custom one, certainly shouldn’t be too difficult to design one, in fact I could maybe have a bash at it in my lunch tomorrow.

docgeoffyjones

The app i used is called Bubble Level, rest of against your fork leg and it’ll show you the head angle.

Just added that to phone my current head angle is 66.5

docgeoffyjones

When you fitted your angle sets did you compensate for the drop the bar height by adding spacers?
    I have rockshox pike which are 518 axle to crown so changing the angle by 1 degree by my maths would equal a 10mm drop in bar height.

Denis99
    Free Member

I’ve got one fitted on my Chromag Wide Angle.

Using 160mm Pikes, the front wheel seems a very long way from the bars.

Might go back to a conventional headset, as I fear the front end doesn’t have enough load on it, and could wash out easier.

Interested in other people who might have felt the same way.

legend
    Free Member

you may have issues if you don’t change the way you ride. If you just sit in the middle then you’re opening yourself up to more issues, but you just need to get your weight slightly further forward and you’ll be grand.

Just fitted a -2 to a Five with 150mm Pikes on – initial feel is that it’s gonna be good!

thepodge
    Free Member

Yeah, it’s like any modifications, you have to adapt to get the best out of it.

chiefgrooveguru

If you just sit in the middle then you’re opening yourself up to more issues, but you just need to get your weight slightly further forward and you’ll be grand.

It’s interesting how the trend towards longer and slacker has led to people stating you need to get your weight further forwards, when I’d say what’s actually happening is you’re getting your weight less far back.

One thing I have noticed with slacker/longer/lower bikes is that they seem to suit higher bars relative to the BB, more like a downhill bike set-up and less like an XC bike. And with longer reach yet slack bikes you can go very short on the stem.

The centre of the grips on my Bird are in line with the steerer tube due to running a 35mm stem and swept back high rise bars. Gives the steering a very fast precise feel – however that does lose you the natural self-centring you get from having some stem length when you smack into things going downhill fast (body weight pushing on the bars pulls front wheel straight), so I’m not sure I’d want to go that far on an enduro or downhill bike (I don’t believe the 40-60mm stems on WC DH bikes are chosen due to bikes not being long enough in reach).

Denis99
    Free Member

Thanks, looks like the angle headset will be coming off soon.

I”ll give it a few more rides, but it doesn’t seem to fit my style of riding.

chiefgrooveguru

…looks like the angle headset will be coming off soon.
    I”ll give it a few more rides, but it doesn’t seem to fit my style of riding.

Looking at the Wide Angle’s geometry I think you’d be better off running less fork travel, either 130 or 140mm. That’ll steepen the angles by about a degree at sag, lengthen the reach (which is quite short) and drop the BB about 10mm (which must be around 335mm unsagged which is very high for a hardtail – about 30mm higher than my Zero AM).

I’m guessing your current headset can only be adding a degree of slackness as it’s a 44mm headtube, so that would give you a 66 deg HA with the 160mm fork, 67 deg with a 140mm one, so 67.5 or 68.5 deg with 20% sag. Far from massively slack and the front centre isn’t long either because of the short reach.

julians
    Free Member

Interested in other people who might have felt the same way.

I fitted a 1.5 degree angleset to my mojo HD,it made it a much less forgiving bike on flat corners,you really had to make sure your technique was right.

Denis99
    Free Member

I went with the 160mm Pike after reading the Singletrack mag review of the bike.

For me, a 60mm stem without the Works Component Angleset headset will probably be the way forward.

I have set the Pikesup a little soft , so they have about 30% sag.

legend
    Free Member

Proper ride today, -2 is good

Stevelol
    Free Member

Rode the Cavedale descent on my 5010 posted further up the page, it was a hell of a lot easier to choose your line with zero fear of going otb, only dabbed once due to the inevitable hikers getting in the way!!

simon80
    Free Member

I used offset shock bushings and my 26″ five now sits at 64.6 deg using the above app.
    It was instantly more confidence inspiring on the downs.
    I’ve always been intrigued about going slacker….

simon80
    Free Member

I used offset shock bushings and my 26″ five now sits at 64.6 deg using the above app.
    It was instantly more confidence inspiring on the downs.
    I’ve always been intrigued about going slacker….

docgeoffyjones

Freeborn got my headset over the weekend so it should be here on Tuesday.
    In the interest of science I should probably create a test ride and do a before and after. But in the interest of being impatient I am just going to fit it straight away.
    Any tips for fitting? I have an improvised press but also mallet and my favourite piece of wood.

legend
    Free Member

Line up notch down the length of the bike – hit with mallet. This is also the Cane Creek approved method on YouTube, although he uses a press, coz posh.

buckster
    Free Member

For a ZS44 EC44 semi integrated, any recommendations for headsets?

docgeoffyjones

Line up notch down the length of the bike – hit with mallet.

that my was roughly my plan.

otsdr
    Free Member

For a ZS44 EC44 semi integrated, any recommendations for headsets?

Works Components, but you’ll need to go EC44 at the top as well.

jsync

Rode the Cavedale descent on my 5010 posted further up the page, it was a hell of a lot easier to choose your line with zero fear of going otb

Now that you’ve had more of a test, was the climbing much harder?

buckster
    Free Member

OTSDR: Thanks, bit the bullet and gone for this one, http://www.workscomponents.co.uk/20-degree-ec44—ec44-89-p.asp.

Should get me down to 63deg

Denis99
    Free Member

Bit of a stealth ad,

Having read this thread, I have taken my Angleset off, for sale in the classifieds.

docgeoffyjones

Bit of a stealth ad,

Having read this thread, I have taken my Angleset off, for sale in the classifieds.To be honest

i only started this thread as a stealth wanted Ad

Stevelol
    Free Member

Now that you’ve had more of a test, was the climbing much harder?

Nope, I genuinely thought it would be, the steering is SLIGHTLY more wandery but it’s nothing if you’re a frequent rider, theres absolutely no more front wheel lift due I imagine to the steeper seat tube angle.

I’m not one for honeymoon periods and like to call a spade a spade so do honestly believe it’s a massive improvement, I don’t know if that wound be the same for every bike, but if you’ve got a Solo that you want to go faster on then it’s a no brainer.

chiefgrooveguru

So I have a Works -2 deg EC44/ZS56 headset which I originally bought for my Spitfire but then was inspired to buy a Zero AM and put it on that with a 130mm fork. And since then the Zero has gone to a Cane Creek -0.5 and 140mm fork and external lower cup and the Works one is spare and I’ve been ill and off the bike for literally three weeks and this thread happened. Curiosity has now got the better of me – time to put the Works into the Spitfire and shorten the 160mm Pike to 150mm.

Current geometry in Low:
    HA: 65.7
    SA: 73.2
    Reach: 419mm
    BB height: 342mm

And High:
    HA: 66.7
    SA: 74.2
    Reach: 429mm
    BB height: 354mm

(Neutral is exactly halfway between)

-2 deg and 150mm Pike will give this in Low:

HA: 64.1
    SA: 74.1
    Reach: 425mm
    BB height: 335mm

And high:
    HA: 65.1
    SA: 75.1
    Reach: 435mm
    BB height: 347mm

jsync

I’m not one for honeymoon periods and like to call a spade a spade so do honestly believe it’s a massive improvement, I don’t know if that wound be the same for every bike, but if you’ve got a Solo that you want to go faster on then it’s a no brainer.

That’s good to know. I’m looking at a Bronson with -1 degree, so it will be a slightly longer travelled version of what you have now. I have got offset bushes fitted which are good but climbing is much harder due to the slacker seat tube.

legend
    Free Member

To compensate for a 1 degree change you just need to nudge your saddle around half an inch forward

EDIT: fixed, as still hardly a wild amount

chiefgrooveguru

To compensate for a 1 degree change you just need to nudge your saddle a tiny amount forward

Actually it’s about 1/2″ difference.

buckster
    Free Member

why move the saddle?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 117 total)

The topic ‘Angle headsets – how slack have people gone?’ is closed to new replies.