Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Angle adjust headset – Works vs Superstar
  • Shackleton

Have had a Works angle adjust headset in the past and it works fine. Just looking for a different bike and the SS ones are £50 vs £74 for Works.

Is the works one £24 better than SS? Seems quite a difference for the same thing both made in the UK. Never bought any of SS in house produced stuff so have no idea of quality compared to Works.

Opinions on the matter gratefully received.

PS: please don’t turn this into a SS slagging thread……

andyl
    Free Member

running 2 of the SS ones as I got them on offer for £35 or something so was an easier decision.

Thy are not pretty things but no 2 deg angleset will ever be really, although a bit of curved machining like a Hope or CK wouldnt have gone amiss. They look bland too but tbh I would rather plain than having some OTT graphics. Some laser etched circumferential rings or something may have broken them up a bit. Top cap has graphics and is fugly.

Functionality wise they are fine and seem better sealed than a previous SS headset I had. Bearings are decent and I buy their bearings for other headsets when they go gritty.

Can’t comment on the Works ones but I do like their stuff and they much more options for fitments and angles.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Also keen to see what folk think as was looking at the 2 mentioned. Is there anything else with considering?

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I have a SS on my saracen ariel, been on since last year, i bought one from their first batch.

It has slackened the angle and given me no further cause for complaint.

I would recommend.

I also got mine at the same time as deal so paid £35

legend
    Free Member

I’ve got both Works and SS ones, there’s naff-all different between them other than Works giving various different angle options.

cyclelife
    Free Member

The bearings in my works components have given up after 8 months – not what I’d expect as been used to CK and Hope prior to needing a little slackness!

Northwind

This is one of those things where there’s no massive advantage to going with Works, but I do anyway because Superstar have copied their design so I figure Works deserve the business.

Shackleton

Thanks all. I kind of assumed that SS were cheaper because they don’t offer so many options.

Although the one I want is out of stock at SS anyway so largely academic now. Humph.

Bigmantrials

I had an SS for my last frame, worked perfectly, no longer using the frame but have the headset to sell, its an EC44 – ZS56 for 120 – 130mm head tubes and tapered steerer. Email is in my profile if you’re interested.

doubledunter
    Free Member

The bearings in my works components have given up after 8 months

^^^This …the works does what it says on the tin but forever changing bearings, last set def under 6 months ago and feels really gritty already 😕

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

This is probably a stupid question, I’m buying a frame with a headset spec of ‘ zs44 top, and zs56 bottom’ cups. Will I be ok ordering the superstar which has a top cup that is an ec44?

I’m pretty sure I can but thought I should check before ordering?

chiefgrooveguru

Yes. With an angleset you can’t stay ZS atop and bottom – one of the cups has to be moved out of the headtube so it can be offset to get the angle change.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Angle adjust headset – Works vs Superstar’ is closed to new replies.