Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Android – why would I want it rooted?
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

So I’ve been using my Jiayu S3 for about 3-4 weeks now and I really like it – the screen on my old iPhone 5 looks tiny now!
    I love the huge choice of apps and this thing seems to be properly fast. My only real issue id the camera but I’ll save that for another thread at some time.

Now I believe that this phone comes pre-rooted which so far has been OK although the Halifax banking app does not work and maybe the natwest one also as I can’t get it registered (but no message saying why).
    I also believe that Android Pay will not work on a rooted phone either so, thinking ahead to when Android Pay comes to the UK, I’m thinking about un-rooting the phone which it seems I can do with the pre-installed root browser.
    Before I do so though, would I be missing anything if the phone was unrooted?

Stoner
    Free Member

Im thinking not, but I cant be sure. I looked into it, so I could run Barclays banking, but didnt get any solid info. If you find some, on whether the S3 is happy to be unrooted, I will watch this thread with interest. I ave no need of rooting personally. But I’m not sure if un-rooting might cause update issues with the xtreme ROM etc.

prawny

Not a lot as long as you’ve got a decent browser. I rooted my old Galaxy s3 because it was so bloated with samsungs added guff it was almost unusable. But rooting it and slapping cyanogen mod on made it like a new phone.

The only thing you could do when rooted that was a distinct advantage was forcing Spotify to run in tablet mode which was ‘useful’.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Some apps will only run on rooted systems. Rooting gives you/your apps (and any malware) more access to the operating system. Banks don’t like their apps running on rooted systems because it’s easier for malware to get into them. On the other hand, the Anti-virus I use (Avast) needs root. I don’t know which is safer, rooted with an AV, or not rooted.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Some apps need root.

You can also get into custom roms, which is fun for a while.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Running a nexus phone not sure I can seed the need. The important stuff works, if you can’t make an app run within the rules not keen to install it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Android – why would I want it rooted?’ is closed to new replies.