Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Android satnav for France? (no internet)
  • DeeW
    Free Member

Off to France next week. Anyone know if it’s possible to use my Android phone as satnav without a mobile internet signal.

Dave

Cougar

CoPilot EU.

Burts
    Free Member

CoPilot has worked well for me in US/Canada.

Interface is not as intuitive as my old TomTom and phone GPS reception is not as good in built-up areas. But you get there eventually.

It does suck power though (Galaxy S), I get 1-2hrs of sat-nav off a full charge. Recommend you use a car charger with it.

ngeddie
    Free Member

CoPilot EU 5 star IMO and bargin price, used in france earlier in year, stores all maps on your device

Pyro

NavFree worked for me. It’s driving directions can be a bit funky sometimes, but it works.

matthewjb
    Free Member

CoPilot works with GPS only. No need for 3G. At least it does on the iPhone.

CountZero

CoPilot here too. iPhone version, but functionality will be the same. Take time setting up before hand; go into the sub-menus and select speeds for various roads, NOT the default speeds, and road preferences, that way you avoid being taken around housing estates and piddly little lanes, and you can select out toll roads to the minimum.
    Doesn’t take long, but it’s really worth doing.

olly2097
    Free Member

I’ve got a lovely navigon 2012 sat Nav app on my android. Worked ace in France. Worth 70 quid on the store but I got it for free. Easy when you look for it.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Copilot is very good and cheap enough that you can afford to pay the developers for it.

If you’re not used to driving in France, turn on the speed limit display / warning, very useful because it converts it to mph so you can see it at all times and also knows about the funny red town signs that don’t have a number on but mean a 50kmh limit.

Oh and personally I’d recommend making as much use of the toll roads as possible – if you’re going any distance south they save masses of time and don’t cost all that much.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Android satnav for France? (no internet)’ is closed to new replies.