Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Android question….
  • DT78
    Free Member

Any idea why my HTC Desire might have suddenly started having issues with my home wifi? Works fine else where, but at home seems to work ok, then stops and I need to switch off/on again for it to start working again.

Wifi on the laptop seems to be fine, and on the wifes phone to.

Any ideas? Haven’t been fiddling around with options or anything….

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What do you mean it “stops”?

How do you know it stops?

samuri
    Free Member

I’ll get howls of derision about this but it’s a common problem when switching from 3G to wireless with android. I virtually always had to go into airplane mode and then back again when I got home before my android phone would work with my wireless.

Well known problem. Not fixed as yet.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Ive never had that problem samuri. But i did find that if I’d been using Dolphin browser with 3g, then it wouldnt work on wireless unless I shut it down properly and restarted it. For some reason it doenst seem to do it anymore.

DT78
    Free Member

It hangs, and eventually says check your connection – network problem

I know it is the phone as the laptop is still connected and working fine.

Restart seems to sort it out, then a few hours later it will go again. Has been fine for the first 3 months I had it. Haven’t changed any settings and it seems to work ok with work wifi….

restarting isn’t working this time 🙁

weirdnumber
    Free Member

I used to have this problem with an early custom ROM on my Desire, the ROM I was using was updated and I never had the problem again, nor have I on any of the subsequent Android handsets I have used.
    IIRC correctly it was something to do with WiFi sleep on the handset. It’s certainly not a common problem that I see with Android handsets where I work, and I don’t know an easy fix. Sorry.

druidh
    Free Member

Never seen this (Desire / Android 2.2). Mine seems to just recognise any known networks (including home) and joins them as appropriate.

fubar
    Free Member

i did find that if I’d been using Dolphin browser with 3g

I’ve had this problem a couple of times and noticed Dolphin has been left running in the background those times (so close it down).

go into airplane mode and then back again

…and then this has fixed the issue for me.

Cougar

I wonder idly if this is a Desire issue rather than an Android issue (or, thinking about it, fixed in Gingerbread).

My old Desire used to occasionally get bored and refuse to pass data. Popping it into airplane mode for a few seconds used to reset whatever had gone mad and sort it out. Can’t remember if it still did it when I went to 2.3, but my Sensation has never done it.

If yours is still doing it after a reboot, I’d be tempted to delete the connection off your phone and reconnect.

My Desire HD finds and connects to networks ok on its own, but the wi-fi reception seems to have gone very poor. If I’m in an open zone, say a wetherspoons, I only get one bar and sometimes don’t even get a full signal sat next to my router at home

Cougar

To be fair, a lot of ‘public wifi’ connections tend to be poor at best.

Factory reset / it’s faulty, send it back?

WiFi reception can be funny, with random blackspots. Have a play with WiFi Analyzer (sic) on the market, it’ll show you what the phone’s seeing better than the little icon does.

wilsonthecat
    Free Member

My iPhone use to do this, I changed the wireless channel on my router and it fixed all the issues.

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve had this issue – as above, it’s caused by switching between wifi and phone network. I had the same issue with my iPhone too so I think it’s a pretty common problem

As above, the airplane mode thing fixes it but on my desire S, I have “wi-fi keep alive” as an app and that’s sorted the problem out – keep it on ‘Always on’ and it never drops the signal now. No noticeable change in battery usage either.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Android question….’ is closed to new replies.