Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Android phones and SMS
  • ratherbeintobago

Out of curiosity, what apps do people use for SMS on android phones, and is there a good reason not to use the Google Hangouts one?

bob_summers

I use the stock SMS app – prefer Hangouts but it doesn’t (or didn’t, not sure) handle sending an SMS to multiple recipients, which may not be an issue for you.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Used Hangouts for while but it was just stuttery and not very fluid IMO so ditched it. It may be better now.

ratherbeintobago

Only person I know who has a Nexus uses it and hasn’t complained; however, everyone i know who has an iPhone uses iMessage, but not as many people with Android phones seem to use Hangouts (Nexus users aside).

matt_outandabout

Hangouts is not great – download the latest google text app, it is much better.

therevokid
    Free Member

disabled hangouts on my nexus … use whatsapp

ratherbeintobago

Hangouts is not great – download the latest google text app, it is much better.

Bit odd that the app that Hangouts was meant to replace is still being updated and is meant to be better.

disabled hangouts on my nexus … use whatsapp

No thanks; belongs to Facebook, and costs money.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Textra

Free version or paid with no silly ads.

Freester

Messenger. The ‘new’ stock SMS app but you need to download it from Play store.

Cougar

On my last phone the stock app was rubbish so I used GoSMS. The one one my current phone (HTC or Google, I’m not sure offhand) is perfectly fine though.

swavis

Another vote for Textra, it’s been faultless since I started using it 18 months ago.

allthepies
    Free Member

I use hangouts for both SMS and (internet) messaging.

Seems OK to me.

matt_outandabout

Bit odd that the app that Hangouts was meant to replace is still being updated and is meant to be better.

My apologies – it is a ‘new’ app from Google –

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.messaging

If you don’t already have it, you need to get Google Now Launcher on any Android handset – and allow it to connect to other google apps (especially email, maps and calendar) … Like black magic it is…. 😯

Greybeard
    Free Member

and allow it to connect to other google apps (especially email, maps and calendar)

… as part of Google’s plan to know everything about you. Am I alone in wishing to avoid this?

matt_outandabout

No, but I sacrifice my data at the fountain of ‘ooooooooh, cool tech’….

IHN

I use hangouts; it sends texts, it receives texts.

spooky_b329

Whilst we are talking text messaging and Android, anyone run into the issue where if you reply to a text and leave the chat window open, any replies are silent so you don’t realise they’ve responded?

Never an issue on my Nexus, but my Xperia Z3 compact does it.

teethgrinder

I get that on moto g 4g

daveh
    Free Member

Fell out with hangouts after it started to refuse to show the name of some senders, despite them being in my phone book. Tried lots of potential fixes but to no avail. Use textra now, it does everything as it should.

Cougar

… as part of Google’s plan to know everything about you. Am I alone in wishing to avoid this?

TBH, if that’s a concern, an Android phone isn’t the best choice for you. You’d have to let Apple of Microsoft know everything about you instead.

Otherwise,

househusband

Barely send nor receive SMS text messages these days; use WhatsApp pretty much all the time!

ratherbeintobago

Barely send nor receive SMS text messages these days; use WhatsApp pretty much all the time!

As above, I just don’t get WhatsApp. It costs money when I have unlimited free texts in my contract (and most messages that go via iMessage/Skype/Hangouts are over wifi so also near-enough free), and it’s owned by Facebook who I really don’t trust.

konabunny
    Free Member

Whatsapp is very useful if you want to text people who live in a different country to you, to text people with different OS to you, to text a group of people who include one of the previous, to text people thru wifi only, to text people if you don’t have unlimited texts…

it might not be for you but it works for me

squirrelking
    Free Member

^ To say nothing for MMS content.

Seriously, 63p per year? I bet folk spend more than that on picture messages.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

SMS is just using the hangout app on the nexus. Sends to whatever they receive I think. Works fine.

mikey74
    Free Member

WhatsApp doesn’t cost: I’ve been using it for years and never paid a penny.

Edit: come to think of it, it did try and charge me once my first year was over but I ignored the messages and they eventually went away.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Android phones and SMS’ is closed to new replies.