Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • android GPS tracking apps
  • mrmo
    Free Member

used endomondo and now trying Mytracks to keep track of rides, endomondo kept on giving silly altitudes, 600m+ in the cotswolds? My tracks is still wrong but less so, it tends to be about 50m higher than reality.

What i have noticed is that if i stop the tracking goes haywire rather than recording the same spot it shows me moving hundreds of meters in seconds.

So are there any other apps that may be more reliable? or is this just a fact of life and there is no better way.

jam-bo

It’s not the app. It’s the gps chip in your phone…

mrlard
    Free Member

i tend to use mm tracker never had any probs its nice you can use it with memory map maps gpsies is ok to

mrmo
    Free Member

jam-bo if that is the case why do two different apps behave differently? i don’t doubt that it is a part of the issue, phones aren’t gps’s so i wouldn’t expect the same performance.

Houns

Endomondo here and had no problems

DickBarton

Mytracks here on a Desire. No probs that I can tell.

Potdog
    Free Member

Used both Endomondo and Mytracks, on HTC Legend and more recently on Desire HD. Both seem to work fine although I do get some spurious speed readings from time to time.

I like Endomondo for the live tracking feature, means that home can see where we are or at least last reported position if out of phone coverage.

Del

It’s the gps chip in your phone…

doubtful. much more likely to be the vagaries of radio reception.

climbingkev
    Free Member

My tracks on Hero…..works fine. Only ever had grips when phone has been buried in a big bag or there’s been loads of tree canopy coverage, so back to sensor issues again there I guess…

alanl
    Free Member

How does the GPS function work on the phone?
    Does it cost anything, or is it already built-in?

Can you load maps onto it?
    I’m in Dorset next week, and rather than buying an OS map, could the route be loaded onto the phone?
    I ask as I’ve just got a HTC Wildfire S as a phone upgrade, I won’t be using except as a weekend phone’ when I want to go away and may need some maps etc whn I’m out.
    Ta
    Alan.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I read the other day Gaia is supposed to be good, can download map tiles to the phone, covers numerous countries and free version (limits the number of tiles you can load at once I think)…not tried it yet.

alani, MMtracker uses memory map files loaded on the phone so free if you have the maps already (free version of app is function limited). mytracks, endomondo etc use online maps (google maps) so need data connection but free if you have data included in the phone package, just a pain if in the wilds and the signal is poor. Gaia uses free downloaded files so is fine off line.

allthepies
    Free Member

I’m liking Alpine Quest. You can create offline maps so don’t need a mobile signal to work, impressed with the free version so will be purchasing the full version (for less than £4) which allows track recording / following.

StirlingCrispin

I use Mytracks without any problems (HTC Desire). Found Endomondo turned itself off randomly,

I also have Maverick. It can track but I don’t use it for that. The mapping options are superb – particularly on the Pro version (£3.50) which saves maps to the SD card so you can use it away from reception. Did suck the battery when viewing maps though.

stuartm555
    Free Member

MM Tracker seems reliable to me

alanl
    Free Member

Thanks for that, I’ll have a play with it tomorrow.
    Ta
    Alan.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘android GPS tracking apps’ is closed to new replies.