• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by IA.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Android Enthusiasts, any recommendations?
  • IA

So, trying out an Android device for a bit (Note 4) after a few years on iOS. Any particular app recommendations? What are the highlights these days?

I’m more interested in polish and quality than the “all of the settings” type stuff, and if I can pay and get a better experience that’s great, not too bothered about “free”. I’m also not that interested in excessive tinkering or rooting etc. but if there’s something you like, fire away.

Particular recommendations for the following apps would be welcome:
    – Twitter client (one press save to instapaper and tweetmarker support)
    – Something to create image triptychs/collages
    – Simplenote client
    – Something to give me a ping/nslookup tool etc.
    – Assemble gifs
    – SSH
    – SFTP
    – File manager of some sort (TBH not looked what’s built in yet).
    – Video editor (trimming and assembling a timeline mostly)
    – Todo/GTD apps, if anyone knows of anything that’ll import from omnifocus then 12 bonus points to you.

Not interested in an iOS vs. Android flamewar, though who knows, may get bored later on this afternoon 😉

CraigW
    Free Member

For quick notes and todo lists, I like Google Keep. It is fairly simple.

For calendar, aCalendar+ is a bit better than the default Android one. I think it can also do todo lists, not tried that myself.

For file manager, Ghost Commander. It is free/open source, and less bloated than some others. It has plugins to connect to SFTP, Windows shares, Dropbox, Google Drive etc.

For email, K-9 Mail.

For offline maps, Maps.Me

mattyfez

Google Keep
    Google now
    ES file expolorer
    BBC weather widget
    I like memory map as a graphical view of device storage
    ping tools network utilities

Cougar

JuiceSSH for SSH duties.

nickjb
    Free Member

For file management I use ES file explorer. Seems to happily connect to network drives and is relatively easy to move things around.

JuiceSSH for SSH. I’m not a power user so no idea if it is good enough but it works for me.

I don’t actually use that many apps these days. A lot of stuff happens in the browser but there are loads of great mapping apps but maps.me and Viewranger are my go to. Google maps is actually very good if you happy to use data.

copa
    Free Member

Lots of suggestions here:
    What do I need to install?

IA

Cheers, will check some of those out.

I should maybe be a bit clearer, when I said “Simplenote client” I meant a client for the simplenote service. I used to use mNote but wondered if there was something better.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Note 4 here, too. Fantastic little machine.

Met Office
    Facebook Messenger (video calling)
    BBC iPlayer/All4/Google play/Tunein Radio (all Chromecastable)
    Chromecast
    Freeview TV Guide

Don’t use Battery/Space saving type apps. Waste of time on Android – they don’t actually do anything useful. I just use the in-house “ultra battery saver” overnight or when I just want basic functionality and also clear the cache in Settings/Storage once a week.

IA

Don’t use Battery/Space saving type apps. Waste of time on Android

Oh yeah I know that – I used to develop for Android as part of my job, so I’m well aware of technical details, just not up to date from a user point of view.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Android Enthusiasts, any recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.