Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Android app that will allow me to load GPS data to follow
  • druff
    Free Member

I’m looking for an Android app that will allow me to load a GPS data file (e.g. GPX or KML) so that I can follow a route that somebody else has tracked using a GPS device.

Anyone use (a preferably free) one that they would recommend?

Thanks

druidh
    Free Member

Endomondo can downloads routes from Endomondo and you can see them on the screen as you follow them.

clubber
    Free Member

Everytrail Pro will do that.

Bez

Viewranger. It costs a tiny bit (though it’s free for a fortnight or something) but it’s very much worth it – it poops on the others.

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

you can open kml with google maps, though you have to save it to “my places” on a pc beforehand i think, not sure if you can do that from the app.. (though you could in a browser i suppose)

also means you have to be online to load it up though it does stay when you disconnect, i.e. you can pre-cache the area and open it from “my places” then disconnect and the route+zoom will still be there.

i’d be interested in other options too thoguh.. i looked at a few that were pure shite.

edit: actually it’s called “my maps” in the layers in the app, and “my places” is where you upload kml on maps.google.co.uk

edit edit: also doubt you can precache satellite which makes it less useful for offroad of course. one that does OS would obviously be better for that..

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

MMtracker does this also, but I’ve not tried View ranger, so I can’t really compare.

druff
    Free Member

Thanks for all the responses. For completeness, I also came across Backcountry Navigator which meets my criteria. I’ll give the others a go too.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Is there a way to use OS or memory map data with view ranger? I can’t see any references that it can.

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

just looking at viewranger specs, seems pretty promising though you do have to pay for OS maps of course..

mark85xc
    Free Member

Maverick is excellent, and allows you to download OS maps from bing.

EDIT: for free!!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

oh, I see. Proprietary maps. :o(

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Android app that will allow me to load GPS data to follow’ is closed to new replies.