Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Andorra advice needed
  • nsbikescore1
    Free Member

Morning all!

We are thinking of heading to Andorra for a week with the dh bikes and I’m wondering if anyone can give me advice on which airport to fly to, where is best to stay (arinsal or soldeu), transfers and any good accommodation.

We are wanting an alternative to morzine but at first glance Andorra doesn’t seem as easy to coordinate. Also considering Tignes? Cheers!

notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

Book through single track safari sort all transfers from Barcelona
    Vallnord option very nice hotel 1 min from gondola

coolhandluke
    Free Member

As above

We stayed in Ordino though, in Hotel Coma a few minutes roll from the lifts..

With Singletrack Safari.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Definitely time for a what would cedric do?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

We saw Cedric whilst we were there, he rode past us on the road and did “Locals Only” trail. Best trail there IMO.

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

Thanks guys… Very helpful. I thought singletrack Safari just do guiding holidays but I see that they do hotel and transfer packages too… Sounds spot on!

kayak23

We wild camped above the town, met a couple of lads from the Commencal offices out on a morning lung buster up the hill. They invited us to be shown around the offices later on. Said hi to Max Commencal. Didn’t give us a free bike though…
    Great place.love it, but not so easy to get about like Morzine. La Molina in Spain is just down the road too which is brilliant. Need transport though.

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

Would la masana or soldeu be a better base. Can you get to both bike parks regardless of which town you stat at?

mattkkitch

One extra bit of advice, don’t buy any new kit before you go! I went in the last week in August last year and everything was 40% off, on top of it already being tax free.

Is driving an option? Its do able in one go if you have two drivers, only 5 hours further than Morzine and the riding kicks its ass!

Give me a shout if you want some ideas on non-biking activities, we did Via Ferrata and canyoning which were both amazing!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Hopefully the van wont be late and you wont end up doing this at Barcelona airport…

rhid

I am off to Andorra with Singletrack Safari this year. Dealing with them has been great!

Nothing more to add apart from I cannot wait!

sharkattack

I’m supposed to be driving down there in July. Really looking forward to it. We want to go down to Barcelona first to recover from the drive and blast around on some mopeds for a couple of days and check out La Poma bike park. Then La Molina on the way up to Andorra. Vallnord and Soldeu both look amazing but they’re not big on camping so I think we’ll be roughing it.

Need a change from Morzine/Les Gets even though we’re dropping in there on the way back.

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

Thanks again folks! Does anyone know an email address for singletrack Safari, I can’t find one on their website and my Facebook message hasn’t gone through

rhid

Try martin@singletracksafari.com

He has been great with me.

SpiderDan

I’m just back from snowboarding in Andorra. We stayed in La Massana – quiet town (during ski season anyway) but there is a big gondola lift straight up to the bike park, it goes up where route 66 is. Stayed in Hotel Magic Ski, the gondola station is attached to the hotel! We couldn’t hear it from our room, so it did not disturb us. Hotel was good, decent sized rooms, comfortable, has it’s own lounge and bar (€1.65/pint in happy hour :D). Had a 1/2 board deal, massive amounts of food and loads of variety. There was a good bar just on the end of the building too, right beneath where the gondola comes in, all the lift attendants went there after work

You might want to look for a summer package deal, we got flights transfers and the 1/2 board for £400 from Crystal Ski

Arinsal had much better apres ski, bars were more lively and there were more of them, but doesn’t look well placed for the uplifts

Flew via Toulouse, same as any other airport really – not quick, not slow. About 3.5hrs transfer time by coach

HTH, PM me if you want more info

posiwev
    Free Member

We went with Singletracksafri last year – very good, flew to Barcelona, stayed in La Massala around 2.5 hr transfer – well recommended.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Are there any topo maps for the area? I haven’t found any.

Anyone got any strava routes for the lesser know stuff outside of the bike park?

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Topo maps for Andorra are pretty poor – you can download a basic map on Wikiloc or a few other free Android mapping apps.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Andorra advice needed’ is closed to new replies.