Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • And the first openly gay premier league player is…..
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Well none yet. But my money is on Chris Smalling. After hearing an interview with him I think it’s only a matter of time. It matters not that he has a girlfriend. And if he is, I hope he can do it while he is still playing.

And its not a criticism. Gay players should be allowed to come out and be themselves without discrimination. I just reckon Smalling will be amongst them.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Is that the STW lawyer I hear stirring?

BoardinBob

Err, wasn’t it Justin Fashanu? Unless we’re being really pedantic about the term “Premier League” and only counting post 92 players.

allthegear
    Free Member

And what business of yours is it to be speculating on his sexuality? Do you have a particular interest in him?

Rachel

Junkyard
    Free Member

I admire the power of Lodders Gaydar which is only bested by his shit trolling

SaxonRider

They should certainly be allowed to ‘come out’, but better yet, they should be allowed to be simple ‘footballers’ instead of ‘gay footballers’. Indeed, we should all be allowed to be who we are without fear of discrimination of any sort.

After all, our sexuality is a part of us, but we are not our sexuality.

I am, at the end of the day, not a ‘straight forum member’; I am just a ‘forum member’.

In any case, if you are right, OP, then best wishes to Mr Smalling.

EDIT: Good question, allthegear.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Didn’t Justin come out after he had finished playing ?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Who cares? Is the sexuality of every premier league player listed somewhere. Maybe the gay ones just think it’s none of your business.

spawnofyorkshire

Don’t get the point of starting this thread. What’s your end game or is this just mindless speculation?

BoardinBob

Dunno.

Either way it’s no ones business. It’s a shame that it still needs to be such an issue in 2016. Unfortunately knuckle dragging homophobes are alive and well.

Junkyard
    Free Member

JUstin was was out as a pro and treated horribly by many in the game including his won brother

aracer
    Free Member

Well there’s STW revelation of the day 😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

JUstin was was out as a pro and treated horribly by many in the game including his won brother

He won a brother? Is that some sort of brutha from anotha mutha thing?

theotherjonv

No. 1990, when he was still playing in the UK and then went on to play in NA

If you aren’t aware of his post football life, he killed himself in 1998 because of fears his homosexuality would prevent him getting a fair trial over an underage sex allegation.

Good to see certain sections of STW/ society are so much more advanced nowadays 🙄

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Worst post of the year award goes to the homophobe

wwaswas

*checks calendar* yep, 2016.

Is this really where some people are still at?

People shouldn’t have to be ‘openly’ anything but themselves.

If they don’t feel able to be then threads like this aren’t ever going to help things change.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Probably unhelpful thread title and and approach…

…BUT, it absolutely beggars belief in this age when most gay people are out, and we live in the age of social media, and there must be gay players in the premier league, if none are out. And that says something about the whole sporting/macho ethos. Which is a shame.

Yes, people are defined by way more than their gender and sexuality but I wonder if there are many jobs/professions where so many are hiding it?

somouk
    Free Member

The words ‘Coming Out’ should be banned.

I don’t have to broadcast to people I’m heterosexual so why should someone who is gay announce their sexuality?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Is this really where some people are still at?

Unfortunately I think it is. Think the tabloids would pass on this “news” if it were to be uncovered?

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Worst post of the year award goes to the homophobe

Not sure how you got the OP was being homophobic.

It was ****ing ridiculous, but that’s about it.

loddrik
    Free Member

It ‘should’ be a non issue but it absolutely isn’t. And its because of the culture in football the people haven’t come out who.would in nearly every other area of society. And its because of this glaring omission that people will speculate. And its sad to say that the first person to do it will be phenomenoninally brave…

But as in my original post, I reckon it may well be Smalling.

allthegear
    Free Member

There is only one circumstance where the sexuality of someone actually matters to you; if you want to have sex with them.

Seriously, anything else is none of your, or entombed else’s business. Butt out.

Rachel

jambalaya
    Free Member

This I know – his brother was a disgrace – I didn’t remember it was during this playing career.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

While we are outing people.

I think Lodders will be the first openly gay black cab driver.

He may be married with kids, but I just got this feeling.

Edukator
    Free Member

Or if they want to have sex with you, Rachel. It’s very easy to deal with if someone makes welcome advances, and very complicated if you’re not interested, which ever sex the advances come from.

loddrik
    Free Member

While we are outing people.
    He may be married with kids, but I just got this feeling.

I’m just waitin’ for Chris…

No probs with people speculating about my sexuallity btw…

allthegear
    Free Member

To be fair, Edukator, it should be fairly clear what their sexuality is if they are coming on to you, that’s why I didn’t see the need to mention it.

Rachel

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Or if they want to have sex with you, Rachel. It’s very easy to deal with if someone makes welcome advances, and very complicated if you’re not interested, which ever sex the advances come from

If both are not interested then why bother ?

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Why does being black matter ?

loddrik
    Free Member

I reckon there are already loads tbh. And for the record, I’m part time anyway (on the cab, full time heterosexual).

Cletus

Thomas Hitzlsperger who played for Villa, West Ham and Everton as recently as 2013 came out in 2014 just after he retired. Although the general reaction was supportive he obviously did not feel able to while playing.

Justin Fashanu’s case was pretty terrible and although things have improved relatively recent incidents such as Robbie Fowler waving his backside at (straight) Graeme Le Saux (1999) show there is a long way to go before a gay player would not be a major story

Chris Smalling may be many things (over-rated and unable to tackle properly preferring a rugby style clinch being two of them) but I am unaware of anything that would indicate he is gay.

Drac

It ‘should’ be a non issue but it absolutely isn’t

Not as long as people start pointless threads like this it won’t or make guesses who it might be on their gut instinct.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Could we run a poll on forum users too?

project
    Free Member

who cares what the sexuality of footballers is, if you want to dress up like a child in shorts and a top with your name on it, dance a round a field for 90 minutes, hug and kiss when your bessie mate kicks the ball between some posts, then you all jump into the same huge bath or communal shower, then thats up to them. Some people also pay lots of cash to watch them and buy and dress in the same kit. its a free world, and not worth further comment.

Keeps an eye out for a totally hetro sexual, possibly cross dressing black cab driver when cycling in liverpool

Junkyard
    Free Member

Or if they want to have sex with you, Rachel. It’s very easy to deal with if someone makes welcome advances, and very complicated if you’re not interested, which ever sex the advances come from.

I am flattered but I am married

Drac

It’s very easy to deal with if someone makes welcome advances, and very complicated if you’re not interested, which ever sex the advances come from.

It really isn’t complicated.

AdamW
    Free Member

Could we run a poll on forum users too?

I vote for that AdamW. Must be gay. And his husband too. Both of them!

😀

slimjim78
    Free Member

I’m Gay for Loddrik.

However, a peek at the smorgasbord of stunning women that Smalling has been linked with suggests Loddrik may be out of luck.

Northwind

somouk – Member

I don’t have to broadcast to people I’m heterosexual so why should someone who is gay announce their sexuality?

They don’t have to of course. But if they don’t, people tend to assume they’re straight. So the rationale’s pretty obvious.

Contrast; my brother works in the theatre, and is a wee bit camp, so he finds himself coming in to people, because everyone assumes he’s gay. (this really annoys his girlfriend, people assume she’s his cover.)

But there’s sometimes more to it. A friend of mine was sort of quietly gay, when I first knew her. It wasn’t a secret, she just doesn’t make it obvious. Most people found out eventually (yes, I found out because I hit on her, now she says Pink Triangle is our song, apparently I am oblivious to really obvious clues). Anyway. Every so often, someone was offended- why didn’t you tell me, don’t you trust me? I’m your friend! Did you really think I wouldn’t have your back? And rarer, someone’s a total **** about it- all this time you’ve been lying to me! You’re not who I thought you were!

So now she tends to tell people pretty quick, because at least that way if it turns someone off, it happens fast, and they were quite likely an arse anyway. Makes total sense to me anyway.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Wouldn’t life be easier if we all just wore a badge, blood group, preference, inside leg measurements, religious sway and red/ rows sauce preference.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘And the first openly gay premier league player is…..’ is closed to new replies.