Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • And the best chippy in central Leeds is……
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

?

Ta.

mattyfez

Fisherman’s wife on the north side of the market is ok. That’s the only one I know.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Worse than the worst chippy in Glasgow?

ton

the one down the side of the market house.

fishermans wife i think it is called now.

blader1611
    Free Member

Nash’s chippy up near the grand theatre.

bearnecessities

There isn’t a decent one in the centre, sorry.

withersea
    Free Member

Chips in meat and liquor. Admittedly it isn’t a chippy…

Edit: actually they are probably fries

jambalaya
    Free Member

Leeds is for Curry IME

devash
    Free Member

This. Only good one I remember is Kirkstall Fisheries between Kirkstall / Headingley.

mattyfez

I beg to differ, fisherman’s wife is a perf decent chippy.

bearnecessities

Fish fight!! It’s okay, hardly the best of anything though.

If you don’t mind eating in, these people will do you a great F&C.

http://www.townhalltavernleeds.co.uk

geoffj

CFH in Leeds – as in the north 😯 FFS
    Hope you’ve had your jabs.
    Oh and you won’t find good fish and chips on THAT side of the Pennines obvs

Cougar

I haven’t found a central Leeds chippy that doesn’t offer optional chips with the portion of grease you’ve just ordered. Sorry. Would be interested to hear if anyone has.

P20

Beware the Yorkshire fishcake. It’s not the usual thing

john_drummer
    Free Member

yep. it can be one of two things, depending where in Yorkshire you are. In Leeds, Bradford & Wakefield, it’s two slices of potato sandwiching a layer of fish – haddock usually – battered and deep fried. in Barnsley it’s a lump of fish-flavoured mashed potato rolled in glitter breadcrumbs and gently shown some heat; the battered thing described above can in parts of Barnsley be described as a “fish scallop”. What Sheffield calls either variety I do not know

rone

Murgatroyds. One of two chippys I will travel for.(I’m from Notts) The other is in the good food guide.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Murgatroyds as in Yeadon? hardly central…

rone

Best comes before central.

MrSparkle

Just watch out for whatever the dirty Yorkshire gets fry their fish in because it bloody reeks.

nealglover
    Free Member

Nash’s on Merrion street, near Bar & Social.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Best comes before central.

Perhaps but Yeadon is a good half hour drive out… handy if you’re catching a flight I suppose

Just watch out for whatever the dirty Yorkshire gets fry their fish in because it bloody reeks.

Beef dripping

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Leeds is for Curry

I agree. This is, however, for Merkin colleagues who want to sample the battery delights of fish and chips.

thecaptain
    Free Member

….an hour away in Settle 🙂

ehrob

Not central, but Brett’s in headingley. Job jobbed.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

As above – sack that F+C off and order a curry from somewhere in the vicinity of Bradford 🙂

john_drummer
    Free Member

Leeds is for Curry

You’re wrong

Bradford is for curry

boxelder

Closed by now. Even the shit ones are.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

The one just off Wellington Street isn’t bad but its far from good.

alanf
    Free Member

Chippy in Settle is a belter agreed, Leeds though, no idea…

ton

two belting chippy’s in leeds that I use are, Ritz at 5 lane ends wortley and robin hood chippy, leeds road robin hood.

both are delightful.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Parry Lane Fisheries in Bratford are some of the most consistently good fish & chips I’ve ever had. Used to go up there every Friday when our office was in Bratford. Brilliant…

Pook

Graveley’s in Pudsey. Just brilliant. Refurbished too so it’s nice to sit in

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

ooo, good shout Pook. Graveleys fish butties (but at the Elland Rd shop just before kick off with a can of Dr Pepper). Absolute whales of fish. Nom.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

….an hour away in Settle

Chippy in Settle is a belter agreed,

I’ll now not be able to drive past this afternoon.

ads678

Farndales in Woodlesford is great. Fish is not massive but it’s very nice, cooked in beef drip and well cheap! F&C for about £3.00.

I’ve only ever had F&C in the centre of Leeds once I think, and I was drunk then so can’t say if it was any good or not. It was the one by the market though. It’s all been tarted up down there now because of the John Lewis development.

allan23
    Free Member

No really recent experience but there’s Nash’s up near the Wrens pub. Always seemed a bit posh.

There used to be one down the side of the open market that was OK if you enjoyed grease – it did the funny mashed potato & green herb bits fishcakes too so wasn’t a real Leeds chippy. That might have gone for the new shopping centre for all I know.

Best one used to be the other side of the market on Call Lane.

Rich_s

Wetherby Whaler gets my vote – any of them (Pudsey/Wakey/Wetherby/Guisley tho).

TBH once you move out of god’s county and live with the heathens any West Yorkshire chippy is like nectar compared with the utter dross I have to live with now 🙁

fooman

The further away from the coast you get, the better fish & chips are.

crankboy
    Free Member

town hall tavern is very good for sit down in a pub.
    sous le nez always does good fish and chips as a special order for my Muslim(traditional Yorkshire Muslim will only eat fish and chips margareta pizza or tuna sandwiches) mate at our xmas do.

Cantor’s on chapeltown road is 5 mins from the centre highly rated and brings with it a frission of inner city danger.

Ocean Fisheries Tempest rd Holbeck is also recommended by our staff who occasionally do a run for lunch but “not posh and you may want somewhere that follows basic hygiene rules.”

If you can travel then Cassey’s in Ossett https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g844515-d8605446-Reviews-Casey_s_Fish-Ossett_Wakefield_West_Yorkshire_England.html
    massively loyal following in my home town

anonymouse
    Free Member

I’ve not been, but there is some out-of-town Gravely’s love in previous posts; you may be interested to hear that they’ve now opened in the city centre too. In The Core shopping centre I think.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘And the best chippy in central Leeds is……’ is closed to new replies.