Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • And the BBC get it wrong again…
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Their poor sense of judgement and inability to reflect the moderate middel-ground of the nation that they broadcast to just gets worse and worse.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7919830.stm

They just cant get it right, whether it be that ****t Ross and his baboonesque sidekick or the Gaza appeal, and now they think this is the right approach. So little common sense, so much committee. They almost become a paraody of themselves.

rodderz
    Free Member

rules are rules. the guy should not have been on the panel.

aP
    Free Member

It’s not poor sense of judgement it’s abiding by the rules, life’s shit sometimes isn’t it?

rodderz
    Free Member

and if they had said nothing , Stoner, you would have flamed them for covering it up.

pantsonfire
    Free Member

Rules were broken they played an ineligible team member who had a very important role to play in the final. Thats what rules are for.

It is called UNIVERSITY CHALLENGE not trainee accountants challenge

Stoner
    Free Member

indeed there are rules, but in this instance, you had a very clear statement from the losing side saying that they didnt consider it a matter of note, it was a very small technical breach of a rule, not like having a ringer or something and the rule break has not cost anyone substantially. Even more oddly in invoking the rule so brutally they have rather sullied the achievement of Miss Mensa bird who is the kind of anti-hero they should be promoting through such a programme.

A well written statement along the lines that it was regrettable that there was a technical breach of the rules, with no intention to deceive and after careful consideration and discussion with the losing side in the final and with their support and blessing they let the result stand in this case but will in future ensure that all compeititors meet the requirements before each filming of the show.

avdave2

But these people have been used to an unfair advantage all their lives, they cannot be expected to play by the same rules as those who have come through the state system. Very clever but not clever enough to read the rules. Still a few years and they’ll all be running banks.

grizzlygus
    Free Member

rules are rules

It’s a quiz programme FFS. There was no need to pursue the rules with such zeal imo. I agree that they made the wrong decision in this instance, but it should never be forgotten that quality stuff like U.C. is invariably shown on the BBC. And no other broadcaster touches the BBC when it comes to quality.

mudshark
    Free Member

No doubt many students have been unable to participate due to this rule so it’s fair that as the rule was broken they should be disqualified. A rematch might make for popular viewing though – maybe with the remaining 3…like footy…sort of.

druidh
    Free Member

The guy wasn’t very clever if he either thought he could break the rules and get away with it, or didn’t understand the rules to begin with. I’d say that natural justice has been served.

bigrich

university challenge, you gotta be a student.

if he finished in june, he’s not a student.

therefore he shouldnt be there.

its the whole point.

bigrich

oh, and the whole university challenge thing is taken well seriously by lots of (usually post doc) students, especially in thier last year, because most unis have strict rules about being finished and getting in. if they broke the rules, sling em out. why should an exemption be made? theres probably some poor sod who didnt get in and had to miss out.

you a student stoner? does it affect you? or are you just having a nice rant at the telly?

mboy
    Free Member

Personally, I think the rules for eligibility for University Challenge perhaps need changing slightly. Just like “Under 18” means “as long as you were under 18 at the start of the season, if you’re 18 now it’s ok, in sport, I think the rules should be changed so that as long as you are/were a student of said University when the competition begins, if you have finished/graduated by the end of the competition but your team is still in it, you should still be allowed to participate.

That said, you can’t just change the rules mid competition, so you must uphold the current rules no matter how stupid they are. Definitely think they should change them for next season though.

brant
    Free Member

Even worse, it means that the team coached by my cousin now “won” the final.
    Meaning that I will simply not hear the end of it at family gatherings.
    Gutted.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I watched the final. IIRC, Manchester started really well and CC only pulled it back after a correct answer from Mr Kay….

fauxbyfour
    Free Member

I actually thought Manchester were the better team until Mr Price Waterhouse answered a starter for 10 and seemed to turn the competition around. It was also odd that Paxman also started asking more literature based questions at that point (a subject that Trimble was strong in)!

ChrisHeath

Even worse, it means that the team coached by my cousin now “won” the final.

UC teams have coaches?

/boggle

Stoner
    Free Member

UC teams have coaches?

that Manchester bunch were all whacked out on EPO and billtong.

samuri
    Free Member

Have I missed something? The guy lied to the BBC, where did BBC get it wrong?

ChrisHeath

They didn’t.

trailmonkey

Their poor sense of judgement and inability to reflect the moderate middel-ground of the nation that they broadcast to just gets worse and worse.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7919830.stm

They just cant get it right, whether it be that ****t Ross and his baboonesque sidekick or the Gaza appeal, and now they think this is the right approach. So little common sense, so much committee. They almost become a paraody of themselves.

One of the best, indignant, letters to the Mail style rants ever. A sense of simmering anger, barely concealing long held but pointless grudges and an underlying current of despair. Strong work.

10/10.

RustySpanner

The BBC were right.
    The guy cheated, was caught and the team have been eliminated from the competition. Nice to see someone at the BBC has a pair.

What makes it even sweeter is Paxman’s regular fawning over the Oxbridge teams throughout the competition.
    The interview with him last night was priceless. He implied that it was a hell of shame and a pity that anyone noticed – Probably played soggy biscuit with Kay Sr.

Drac

They did right not wrong, the team did wrong.

gavinski
    Free Member

you know the real problem with this story is that you you can’t easily add – ‘gate’ to the end of it to make a headline – how will people know how to refer to the story in the papers?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Balls did he not intend to mislead! He knew the rules and he wasn’t a student at the time! when asked what he was sttudying he said “chemistry” clearly you AREN’t any moer as you work at PWC!!!! Chump!
    Not BBC gettin it wrong, rules are rules!! IF you enterd BUSA MTB race and winnder was someone who had left uni 5 months previously you’d be pi**ed off that they weren’t a student and it was the student champs and you woudl expect to see them excluded! no different here.

Mr_hoppy
    Free Member

Far more worrying though is that Manchester Yeo can get a PhD in ‘The history of the Book’ but that the Corpus Cristi fella was ruled inelligable because he couldn’t get funding for Chemistry PhD. A damming inditement of the priorities of this Country.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Can’t have those posh Corpus folks winning, now can we, let’s have some good honest working class students win instead…

mudshark
    Free Member

Well I think it’s a shame that someone studying chemistry at a top university goes into accountancy; he took the place of someone who could have made a good chemist….

Stoner
    Free Member

well there you go.

it appears that the majority of you disagree with me.

I shall go and consider my position…

still think it’s petty officiousness on the BBC’s part. But I see that STW has come over all upstanding and lawful for a change…no more cheekytrails for you lot! 🙂

RustySpanner

Now now Captain, wind your old school tie in.
    The guy cheated and was caught.

Perhaps I should have put a smiley face after my Paxman comment, but several other friends, of widely differing social backgrounds, have noticed that his sympathies seem to lie with the Oxbridge teams. I should also mention that I am a Mancunian, so obviously this has coloured my viewpoint.

If the programme was hosted by, oooh, Johnny Vegas f’rinstance and he was fawning all over Wigan Technical College I’d be just as miffed.

Stu

bigrich – Member

oh, and the whole university challenge thing is taken well seriously by lots of (usually post doc) students

[Pedant mode] Postdocs aren’t students, post implies after hence its what you do after you’ve got your doctorate. I think you mean PhD students. [/Pedant mode]

Oh and back on topic its pretty straightforward. The rules are you have to be a student all the way through the competition, the guy wasn’t and given that he answered several ‘starter for 10’ to enable the human google to warm up its only fair they got disqualified.

Stoner
    Free Member

just had a quick look at the guardian over a coffee and there on page 3 is an editorial which puts into words far better than I managed last night just what I was ranting about, not the enforcement of a rule, but the lack of consistency and discretion from the BBC:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/mar/03/bbc-university-challenge

The BBC complaints procedure: not so much University Challenge as universally challenged. The corporation simply lurches from one PR disaster to another with a cackhandedness that Jeremy Paxman would doubtless sneer at.

When decisiveness was required in the wake of Sachsgate, the Corporation misread the tone and delayed its response. Eventually it was forced to suspend presenter Jonathan Ross for his part in the spectacularly misjudged phone messages to Andrew Sachs.

Now when a certain lightness of touch would probably have sufficed, the BBC has used a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Manchester’s University Challenge team had been graceful in defeat after the revelations that Corpus Christi’s team included someone who was no longer a student.

“I am firmly of the opinion that the best team won on the day,” said Manchester’s captain Matthew Yeo, announcing that they would not seek a rematch. Unfortunately the BBC was too busy investigating the allegations to pay any attention to Yeo’s example of how to handle a media controversy with style.

Ask the BBC to make a response to a cock-up, and invariably it comes up with the wrong one. It’s not like it hasn’t had the practice. The corporation has spent the past couple of years mired in stories questioning its values and competency – from the Blue Peter cat to Carol Thatcher, from Gaza to the Queen, they’ve just kept coming.

The BBC seems to have only two speeds of response when faced with a newspaper reporter and a story. It either refuses to acknowledge it at all, allowing the affair to spiral out of control while everyone denies responsibility, or it reacts so quickly that nobody has time to think sensibly about the response.

Which explains why, after Yeo had dug the corporation out of a hole by not demanding a rematch, the BBC reached for the shovels and started tunnelling.

If yesterday’s announcement was an attempt to kill the story off, it has been unsuccessful. Instead the story is once again about the BBC’s misjudged responses

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Mr_hoppy – Member

Far more worrying though is that Manchester Yeo can get a PhD in ‘The history of the Book’ but that the Corpus Cristi fella was ruled inelligable because he couldn’t get funding for Chemistry PhD. A damming inditement of the priorities of this Country.

rubbish, he may have not got funding because his proposal was useless, unsound or he was deemed academically inadequate to persue a PhD in that field. Universities don’t offer PhDs in ‘a subject’ you choose your research and put forward a proposal

Drac

I don’t see them as a related item though, if one of the students on the quiz had stood up and said “I **** Andrew Sachs daughter and I liked it.” then they’d be related.

RustySpanner

Stoner, sadly “BBC get something right” is not a news story.
    The Guardian, no matter what the right wing press say, is no friend of the BBC, it is a direct competitor.
    It is also a business, it’s purpose is to make money, not to reflect the truth.

Jamie
    Free Member

Who cares tho?*

*and yes i am aware of the irony of taking the time to post as much 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If the programme was hosted by, oooh, Johnny Vegas f’rinstance and he was fawning all over Wigan Technical College

maybe one for a christmass special? Former Polytechnic challenge?

trailmonkey

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Can’t have those posh Corpus folks winning, now can we, let’s have some good honest working class students win instead…

Wonderful chip/shoulder moment from the cap’n there.

goon
    Free Member

PMSL at The Young Ones

‘Give us some easy ones, Bambi, you big bottom-boil!’

BigDummy
    Free Member

I rather agree with Stoner. But I refuse on principle greatly to care. 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘And the BBC get it wrong again…’ is closed to new replies.