Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • And how was your journey to school today love?
  • wwaswas

“Oh, you know, just the usual.”

😯

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/27/worlds-most-dangerous-school-run-chinese-children-800m-cliff

[edit] blimey they don’t make it easy to embed images from the Guardian site

pnik

Makes my complaints about thameslink look petty, which to be fair they are, that is insane.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

……

that’s roughly the area in which my brothers other half is from 😀

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Interesting. They risk their lives for an education…whilst in this country the normality of ‘free’ education had resulted in some parents choosing to miss school to go on cheaper holidays….

convert

At the top of there out of shot is some mother in an inappropriately parked chelsea tractor getting in everyone’s way.

Sundayjumper

My mate is a teacher. There was an article a few years back about hazardous journeys that some kids make to get to school in various far-flung parts of the world. He was planning to do an assembly talk to his kids about it basically saying “we live in a global market, these kids are your competition, you need to pull your socks up.”

Northwind

That IS dangerous- no hi viz!

timbur
    Free Member

Good to see they’ve all got their parachutes for the journey home :O)

bensales
    Free Member

The region’s Communist party secretary said a steel staircase would be built to connect the deprived hamlet with the outside world while a permanent solution was found.

One suspects the government ‘permanent solution’ will likely be in the form of moving the village to the bottom of the mountain where the school is.

Got to wonder why the village is on the top of the mountain too.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Probably because they live off the mountains.

I’m going out to the Tibetan Autonomous province in Sichuan at some point, which is apparently off limits to westerners. Except…I know the right people to get in 😀

My brothers been to this –

SaxonRider

here was an article a few years back about hazardous journeys that some kids make to get to school in various far-flung parts of the world.

Actually, there was a whole, fascinating, documentary about it on Netflix recently.

Well worth the watch.

MoreCashThanDash

I think edenvalley and Sundayjumpers mate should have a word with the court of appeal.

akeys001

Got to wonder why the village is on the top of the mountain too.

From below one of the photos…

The oral history of Atuler village said the ancestors picked this isolated and dangerous location to avoid wars.

Flaperon

Quite damning on the Chinese government for spectacularly failing to build a safe route for their children. We get wound up by the local council not providing a zebra crossing; these kids risk their lives for an education.

csb

Tom-w I went there in 1998. Somewhere way west of chengdu. Lovely people who hadn’t yet been bred out by the Han Chinese. Got to the pools on horses , slept in tents and woke covered in ice. Horrific food though, yak butter and potatoes.

antigee

another one from the Guardian – bit dated – used to use this at Beavers

“Guess why these kids go to the airport to do their homework”

“When the sun has set in one of the world’s poorest nations and the floodlights come on at Gbessia International Airport, the parking lot begins to fill with children.
    It’s exam season in Guinea, ranked 160th out of 177 countries on the United Nations’ development index, and students flock to the airport every night because it is among the only places where they can count on finding the lights on……….”

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2007/jul/21/schoolsworldwide.schools

and cheers OP

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘And how was your journey to school today love?’ is closed to new replies.