Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • And here's the proof….. (C&C hubs)
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

now if Hope could make a hub with cartridge bearings that just pushed out for servicing rather than needing a great big whack we'd all be happy

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

oldgit – Member
    Photoshopped.

What? My pics of the races? You havin' a laff? I don't even HAVE Photoshop! Those are straight off the camera, not even cropped! 🙂

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

now if Hope could make a hub with cartridge bearings that just pushed out for servicing rather than needing a great big whack we'd all be happy

Apart from the acres of slop that would engender.

Its not like you have to do it that often, unless you're simonfbarnes …

Plus I like hammers, almost as much a cake 😀

mick_r

You CAN service shimano freehubs – I got a tool made at work (just a piece of round bar milled with two notches sticking out of the bottom. Don't forget to unscrew it CLOCKWISE…….. I guess there is a proper shimano tool somewhere.

Everybody also says shimano singlespeed freewheels are useless – every time my work one has gone "scrap" a simple lunchtime strip and service has got it running for another 12 months. The only tools needed are a hammer and nail to undo the outer race!

Adjusting cup / cone hubs is much easier if you hold the drive side axle locknut in a vice (axle pointing up). This lets you do minor tweaks of the non drive side cone and locknut without the axle rotating.

Mrs had some XT hubs circa 1996 that didn't have today's big outer rubber seal. Instead they had a smaller rubber lip seal on the cone and a greaseport in the dust cap (rotate the dust cap to open / close the port – worked great).

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

unless you're simonfbarnes …

thanks for reminding me my front hub bearings need swapping 🙁
    On the upside, I like hitting things with hammers too :o)

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Bonus!

Now this is the clincher: do you like cake?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Having had "duff" (new) cartridge bearings before and not one for whacking things with hammers – at least not things that need to survive – it's +1 for C & C for me

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Cartidge bearing hubs only need the big hammer if you don't heat the hubs. Heat the hubs and they come out nice and easy.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Heat the hubs and they come out nice and easy.

blowtorch or hairdrier ?

do I look stupid ?

boblo
    Free Member

simonfbarnes – Member

<snip>

do I look stupid ?

Mr Kaesae san to the forum please… I bet he's got an opinion on this 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

SFB – my prefered technique is to wrap a rag around the hub and pour a kettle of boilking water over it. Hairdrier won't get enough heat into it altho a hot air gun will – but at risk to the paint – a blowtorch will wreck the finish

best of all is to put it in an oven – but tricky with a built up wheel

Freeze the new bearings as well.

solamanda
    Free Member

Nope: Snapped axles? That's just weak alloy!

I used a hope xc wheels for years, including several on the back of my various dh bikes. Never snapped and I've never been accused of being light or easy on my kit. What QR did you use?

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘And here's the proof….. (C&C hubs)’ is closed to new replies.