• This topic has 86 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • And exactly why are our Soldiers dying to defend Afghanistan from the Taliban?
  • peteimpreza
    ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The Afghan Government is no better

The Afghan Government is a nasty corrupt government, controlled by nasty corrupt warlords. There's no news there. Still, they are 'on our side' so as far as we are concerned, they are the good guys.

A bit like the Saudis really.

tyger
    Free Member

ernie +1

ahwiles
    Free Member

Comrade Tony had a conversation with his invisible friend Jesus, who told Tony that he wanted a war.

the scary thing is, that's what actually happened.

The mind boggles…

G
    Free Member

I believe they are doing what it said on the job description.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Well, thats representative democracy for you!

😕

tankslapper
    Free Member

They are fighting for rocks, lots and lots of rocks – nothing better than fighting over ROCKS

cranberry
    Free Member

It's a bit like when we teamed up with Stalin- sometimes you don't get to chose who your friends are going to be.

G
    Free Member

Comrade Tony had a conversation with his invisible friend Jesus, who told Tony that he wanted a war.

Interesting how comrade Tony and the Labour Government managed to get re-elected with pretty much the same majority 4 years after deciding to get involved, and the only mainstream UK political party to oppose that involvement didn't. I think that might be called the democratic decision of the UK population, don't you?

Drac

Well they tell us it was to make this country secure and free Afghan too, all I know it's now up to 204 and I reckon we should put their families in a room with G so he can explain his flippant comment.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I think that might be called the democratic decision of the UK population, don't you?

I know that you weren't asking me, then that's not really how I would describe it. I would choose a sentence more along the lines of "the ill-informed, or mis-informed, based decision of the UK population".

How many people G, would expect fully understood that they would be supporting a foreign government which would introduce wife-starving laws … eh ?

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

The Afghan government has just passed a law that allows husbands to starve wives who refuse to have sex with them. That's what we're fighting for. Wonder what Cherie has to say about that?

Edit. OOPS sorry, should have read the original link. Exit, with red face.

colnagokid

I thought it was all about keeping the Taliban/ Al Queda in check?
    Keeping them out of Pakistan (a nuclear power) That wouldn't be good for the rest of the (western)world
    Still hard to see all the UK deaths tho

backhander
    Free Member

Wonder what Cherie has to say about that?

She'd probably say that it is part of their culture and that we should tolerate it here.
    Of all nations, I think Canada are really unhappy about the shit and were threatening to withdraw if the rape thing were to go through; which is more than we did. http://reasonweekly.com/churchstate/canada-theatens-withdrawal-from-afghanistan-over-law-allowing-marital-rape

squattingmouse
    Free Member

The reasoning we used when we were operating in Iraq was we could fight here or fight at home.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

we could fight here or fight at home.

I don't think the Taliban have a navy.

colnagokid

nickc

Fairly sure they have telephones though, which always confused me about the "keep the fight in Afghanistan" comments trotted out by Politicians

G
    Free Member

How many people G, would expect fully understood that they would be supporting a foreign government which would introduce wife-starving laws … eh ?

I thought the idea was to help the Afghan people towards self determination and democracy, or does that only apply if they happen to do everything we want??

the ill-informed, or mis-informed, based decision of the UK population".

So following on from the above, it would appear that democracy apparently only applies to well educated people whose opinions coincide with yours in this country also eh??

Drac – Member
    …………… I reckon we should put their families in a room with G so he can explain his flippant comment

Oh really, so crap like this on the interent undermining the cause that the sons are dying for apparently makes them feel its all worthwhile then? I think you may well find that one of the things that boils the piss of the military is stuff exactly like the above, which erodes and saps morale, and devalues their efforts. Furthermore, I think you will find your average squaddie doesn't concern himself overly with the politics of what they are doing, more a case of doing what they have trained for and looking out for their buddies. So I say again, they are doing what it says on the job description, which incidentally includes not questioning legally issued orders.

Personally, I think the whole idea of military intervention is outmoded and an anathema, however, just like I never jeer or boo at my footbal team, I won't be undermining or belittling our armed forces.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

And exactly why are our Soldiers dying to defend Afghanistan from the Taliban?

That's their job.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

and devalues their efforts.

that was done long ago when they were deployed to an illdefined and impossible task 🙁

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I thought the idea was to help the Afghan people towards self determination and democracy,

I don't remember that. But I do remember the British people being told that we had to go to Afghanistan to capture Osama Bin laden so that he could be put on trial for 9/11.

Obviously your idea of democracy G, is to mislead people as much as you can get away with.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Why are people looking for a single reason why the UK is fighting in Afghanistan? Clearly there are multiple factors involved, then and now.

peasnotwar
    Free Member

No wars = world bankruptcy … is that not a good enough reason????
    If that's not good enough, google the taliban and watch them cut off the heads of other humans with a hunting knife in the name of (twisted) religeous ideoligy (oops too much wine)!
    Quit your snivelling and stop being so naive…. rant over!

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

peasnotwar

If that's not good enough, google the taliban and watch them cut off the heads of other humans with a hunting knife in the name of (twisted) religeous ideoligy (oops too much wine)!
    Quit your snivelling and stop being so naive…. rant over!

Lets not forget that Britain and America are directly responsible for allowing the Taliban to seize control of Afghanistan when the Russians pulled out. You reap what you sow and all that.

tyger
    Free Member

Eh?

G
    Free Member

simonfbarnes – Member

and devalues their efforts.

that was done long ago when they were deployed to an illdefined and impossible task

And that Simon may well contribute to why we get a change of government at the next election. However, I'm prepared to bet you a substantial sum of money that insufficient voters want to change that sufficiently to put a liberal government in power, so presuming one of the other two major parties gets in, what does that tell you about the will of the majority and the fact that we are in there, given that it would be the second time running that the British people have voted for the war?

saladdodger
    Free Member

ok so it may be there job but they are ill equipped to carry it out eg snatch landrovers

If this was in british industry H & S would have a field day, do you realise that on alot of building sites ( which I worked on) I was not allowed to use a step ladder.

yet despite the lies from MP's they are woefully badly equippped

I am ex forces and Afganistan was not what I joined up for protecting this country yes but that is best done at our borders

How the hell can we call us world police when the police in this country have no go areas in most citys

proteus
    Free Member

Saladdogger – Congratulations! you've won a special Daily Mail Achievers Award! If you'd only dropped in something about immigrants you'd have got an Achievers Award with Distinction.

Please call in at reception to collect your Princess Diana mug.

saladdodger
    Free Member

?

samuri
    Free Member

I have absolutely no idea why our troops are fighting in Afghanistan. It's not for the traditional reason, oil, it's not for national security, it's not to get hold of Bin Laden and from the link it's clearly not to make the Afghan's lives better. Can someone sum it up simply why our soldiers are there?

saladdodger
    Free Member

proteus

here is your cue

proteus
    Free Member

proteus

here is your cue

billiards! marvellous! your break.

saladdodger
    Free Member

well turk me sideways

no worthy comment

I am surprised

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

what does that tell you about the will of the majority and the fact that we are in there, given that it would be the second time running that the British people have voted for the war?

well, for one, I don't think the will of the people justifies an illegal occupation, and in any case, it's probably no more than fruitless speculation to suggest that the war played any part in voting choices. Voting for a single person is an inchoate statement.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Getting back to the OP …… am I the only one who has spotted the logistical problem of the new law ? I mean, if you send the missus into the kitchen to cook your dinner, how can you realistically expect to starve her into submission ? Surely a better solution would be to give her a damn good thrashing after she has cooked your dinner 😕

Another example of a badly thought out law introduced just before an election to placate Daily Afghan Mail readers, I fear.

proteus
    Free Member

well turk me sideways
    i've no idea what turkish is…

greek i'll do. but you'll have to buy me a few drinks.

jabbathehut
    Free Member

The fact is if we were not in afghanistan then the country would be one big training ground for extremists looking to launch attacks on ourselves and other countries that they decide to striking against.Which is anyone who has a free democracy and challenges their belief systems.

My thoughts are that we should not be there but using the funds and manpower to protect ourselves at home but it is not as simple as that. These situations are extremely complex and without all the facts it is very hard to have a very objective view. Also just imgine for arguments sake that there was another terrorist attack on the scale of 9/11 on UK soil. Would people then say why did we not go to afghanistan and sort this situation out while we had the choice.

All ill say is even if you dont understand why we are there or believe in it then please support the troops. They are doing an amazing job and will continue to do so as long as they are told to.

And G as an ex Royal Marine and having served in afghanistan 3 times i find your flippant remark "I believe they are doing what it said on the job description." extremely insulting. What dying is in their job description is it? Yes it is in the forces job description to follow orders whether they agree or not but such flippancy when people are dying day in day out is extremely distasteful.

colnagokid

Ok then a different angle- fight the taliban/Al Queda in Afganistan, or pull out then see them overrun Pakistan, and have to go in to India/Bangladesh to do the same job only on over a much larger landmass- and thats hopeing they havent blown us up with Pakistans nuclear weapons.
    Yes its shit, yes I shed a tear when our dead come home, but what else are we going to do? Withdraw and hope Al Queda think the West are a decent set of blokes after all and really there isnt any reason for a holy war, and maybe we should just have a garden party?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

the country would be one big training ground for extremists looking to launch attacks on ourselves

isn't this just unsubstantiated fantasy ? Surely most of the people in Afghanistan are more concerned about getting enough food and keeping warm than about strangers in other countries ?

If you pretend that people are merely context free 'extremists' and have no other motivation for their actions, you're unlikely to ever solve the problem.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘And exactly why are our Soldiers dying to defend Afghanistan from the Taliban?’ is closed to new replies.