Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • An unexpected and distressing but undeniable sign of aging…
  • reluctantlondoner

I’m a Timbuk2 courier bag man. Have been for years, always thought I would be.

Turns out schlepping laptops and all manner of crap about for years have taken their toll on my back, neck and shoulders because of all the weight being on a single shoulder.

Advice from the physio: “Get a rucksack.” And just like that it was officially confirmed that I am now old.

So hivemind, what’s a good laptop friendly rucksack?

bruneep

Too cool?

Professor Henry Brubaker of the Institute of Studies added: “If you are under six foot, bald and wearing your bag over both shoulders, people are 90 percent less likely to consider you for a promotion or have sex with you.”

😀

reluctantlondoner

Brilliant! Guilty as charged Bruneep…

molgrips
    Free Member

Old? I’ve been double-strapping for years. I have an Osprey Flapjack which is oustanding, bought in 2009 and still tip-top despite daily use. It’s not overly stable with one strap so I just gave up and used both – it’s far better that way.

footflaps

Just build your back up – squats and deadlifts 3x a week for the next 60 years should see you right as rain.

willard

He wants bigger shoulders.

Start hitting the protein supplements and do daily 5×5 strict press at 80% 1 rep max and you’ll be fine.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Start hitting the protein supplements and do daily 5×5 strict press at 80% 1 rep max and you’ll be ….

Hench!

kimbers

I learnt on my paper round that courier bags are crap, got a nice vaude backpack for commuting

maccruiskeen

confirmed that I am now old

No, old is when you have to have a bag strapped to your leg and someone to change it for you twice a day

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqh4w-yhAZ4[/video]

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Don’t be too hard on yourself. It’s not necessarily a sign of getting old – there are plenty of yoofs in the company I work for who have back issues from laptop bags and are now using rucksacks or wheelie bags. It’s a case of the right tool for the job.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I ditched the laptop years ago. Get a tablet. You don’t even need a bag.

molgrips
    Free Member

Although it occurs to me that most people carry waaay too much in their bags, and often the bags themselves are too heavy.

footflaps

Although it occurs to me that most people carry waaay too much in their bags, and often the bags themselves are too heavy.

They’re just not Hench enough for their man bags.

I suggest the OP starts on a beginners Steroid stack with some HGH supplementation on the side. Any sore spots can be padded out with Synth oil injections.

This guy has no problem with his over the shoulder number

somouk
    Free Member

I must admit I’ve always wondered how people carry messenger bags and don’t end up in pain. I carry a decent laptop bag, both straps on, easier to walk, means I can use my hands to open and close doors or read or use my phone without the bag swinging around and stuff.

slowoldman

Well on my commute into town it seems backpacks are “de rigeur”. Mine’s an Arcteryx Blade. Has a nice laptop pocket.

bigdaddy

Somouk, but merely the fact that you are thinking in practical terms means that you are old, surely?

GregMay
    Free Member

without the bag swinging around and stuff.

That’s why they have other straps to stop that…

Ex-courier. Still rocking a single strap bag.

Not hench in the slightest.

footflaps

I just leave my laptop at work….

Rubber_Buccaneer

An unexpected and distressing but undeniable sign of aging…

That’s nothing, I think I have a grey hair on my chest 🙁

4130s0ul
    Free Member

RB, grey hair singular? pah!!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Get a pannier ffs.

andyfla
    Free Member

I’m with cynical – once you have panniers you will never look at a shoulder bag again

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Double strappers = pens in top pocket, half mast trousers, shirt buttoned up with no tie, world of war craft…..

miketually
    Free Member

Get a pannier

My rucksack goes in the basket on the front of my bike…

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

deuter cross airs are great ruc sacs for bike commuting – they keep the heavy load suspended off your back. I’ve used one for more than 10 years now.

footflaps

I gave my panniers away, prefer a courier bag, but then I’m Hench enough to use one 😉

akira

Shopping bag on handlebars obviously.

aracer
    Free Member

Carradice saddlebag FTW

shermer75
    Free Member

…or where the bag over the other shoulder

CountZero

I must admit I’ve always wondered how people carry messenger bags and don’t end up in pain. I carry a decent laptopwear a courier bag, both straps on, easier to walk, means I can use my hands to open and close doors or read or use my phone without the bag swinging around and stuff.

Been using my courier bags for years, use one every day for work, have another, bigger Timbuktu, and I would never swap either for a rucksack for daily use; being able to just loosen the strap and swing it around to access the interior is so much easier than having to take it right off to get at stuff.
    And at 61, I’ve yet to suffer any long-term issues with my shoulder, either.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Thule do some good ones, mine will do a laptop and a couple of days of clothes etc.

5thElefant – Member
    I ditched the laptop years ago. Get a tablet. You don’t even need a bag

Amazingly tablets are not great for everything and down right useless for some stuff.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Northface bags. Comfy and great for laptops (up to 19″ in the Router).

jeff

Been using one of these for years

trans alp

oldbloke
    Free Member

Carradice saddlebag FTW

+1. Laptop, tools, shirt and lunch. Stops you getting a sweaty back and way better balanced than a single pannier.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

youre not old until you’re using a nice set of panniers! Kids today,pah . oh and you’ll need mudguards with those sir.

BillOddie

An unexpected and distressing but undeniable sign of aging…

I thought this was going to be about ear and nose hair.

Messenger bag user here.

Get a hipster rolltop backpack if you’re worried about looking “old”.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘An unexpected and distressing but undeniable sign of aging…’ is closed to new replies.