Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • An idiots guide to sorting out gears?
  • dan1980
    Free Member

Bit of a long story, but I had to take my rear derailleur off my bike and strangly(!) when I put it back on, things didn’t work like they used to. Being a bit of a numpty when it comes to maintenance, and being a tight arse, I could do with a bit of help putting everything back so it works properly.

It’s an SLX jobbie, and I’ve got the manual from Shimano, and have tried to follow it, but it’s still slightly skipping on the rear cassette, and really struggles to change into the largest chain ring on the front. For some reason, the chain now rubs on the front derailleur too.

Any tips on getting things back working nicely?

z1ppy

my idiots guide would take too long, so take a look here[/url, as there guides are pretty damned good and simiple enough to understand easily.

james
    Free Member

Re-read the shimano instructions and follow it exactly, making sure you understand the consequences of each step so that you know when its exactly right

ajf
    Free Member

also follow the shimano instructions in the order of the instructions. They are literally a step by step. If you do the last stage first then it won’t work as well.

Also use 1/4 turns then check or possibly half turns of the screws. They are sensitive little buggers.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Sounds like you haven’t pulled the shifter cable quite far enough through the deraileur clamp when you put it back together.

Drop down to the smallest gear, loosen the cable clamp and pull the cable through a few millimeters and retighten. Then run the chain up through the gears. If you get onto the biggest cog without difficulty and can still get to the highest gear, then you have adjusted the cable within “the zone”.

Now use the small adjuster screw that the cable passes through into the deraileur. Spin the wheel and change up and down the gears until there is no skipping and the changes are slick and smooth. Look closely at the position of the jockey wheel tracking in relation to the selected cog as you turn the screw. The jockey wheels should align with the selected cog.

There are two screws in the deraileur to adjust the limit of its travel both inwards and outwards. All these do is prevent the chain coming off the cassette. Identify which screw does the inner and run the chain up to the large cog. Adjust the screw so that the deraileur can’t shift the chain into the spokes, but will stil change up and down between the adjacent cog. Repeat the process with the other end stop screw for the outer (smallest) gear. Again. observe closely as you rotate the screw. Turn either way until you see movement. Then back it down to stop the chain jumping off the end of the cassette.

This should sort it out. A ten munute job at most.

nickc

Dan, have a look at the park tools website, it’s got a great section with very clear photos and step by step instruction about exactly this sort of thing.

epicyclo

An idiots guide to sorting out gears?

Is this a subtle appeal for how to do a single speed conversion?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve discovered (well, recommendation from someone else) that indexing the rear cassette is best done without the chain at first. This way you can get everything lined up (indexed) by sight ie cassette chain rings lining up with top jockey wheel when you run thru the gears. Then put the chain on and fine tune. i used to be hopeless at indexing gears, but this way works for me everytime now.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘An idiots guide to sorting out gears?’ is closed to new replies.