Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • An hour to kill in Manchester this afternoon – inspire me!
  • geoffj

Bike shops with bling or other distractions?

binners

The bike shops in the city centre are rubbish!

You’ve just missed the Kevin Cummins exhibition at the Royal Exchange, unfortunately

So… do you want us to just recommend you some good pubs? Whereabouts are you? Which part of our great city?

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Pinarello shop in town,,,, according to my mate 🙄

geoffj

Which part of our great city?

Need to escape from piccalilli station, but have metro travel card and 2 working legs .

jekkyl

Museum of Science and Industry
    Liverpool Rd, Castlefield, Manchester M3 4FP
    0161 832 2244

1.2 miles from picadilly, get walking.

ThePinkster

Science Museum? should be quite quiet now the kids have gone back to school.

Not been there for a while though so no idea what it’s like these days.
    EDIT Damn, beaten to it

Free Member

MOSI is well worth a visit….

http://www.mosi.org.uk/

or the Bike Rooms for mostly road bike type bling:

https://www.thebikerooms.com/

jekkyl

that’s well spooky, 3 people posting same idea at the same minute. We should all buy lotto tickets. Anyway, OP that muesum is great.

binners

If you’re in piccalilli then go for a stroll down through the northern quarter, and have a pint in one of the many great pubs and bars, (like the castle) or if you’re hungry, grab 3 curries and rice in one of the cafe’s. Or go for an Espresso Martini in Apothica. Theres a too cool for school hipster fixie shop next to Cord

Or you could go to the national football museum in what was Urbis.

geoffj

Cheers guys bike rooms is looking favourite!

Edit: I’ve just donned my waistcoat and will be following binners’ northern quarter advice for a pint and search for some Mumford band music .

AlexSimon

There’s a surly dealer in the northern quarter with some nice fat bikes and other bikes that you don’t see very often (if that’s your thing).
    http://www.keeppedalling.co.uk

If you fancy a cheap plate of great-tasting curry with a smile, “This and That” is ace:
    http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187069-d732222-Reviews-This_That-Manchester_Greater_Manchester_England.html (go to the toilet somewhere else though).

Both easy walks from picadilly (the bike shop is very near).
    Chinatown?
    Lots of nice shops/bars/cafes in the northern quarter.

geoffj

Northern Quarter – shouldn’t that be Salford?

AlexSimon

Northern Quarter is a completely made up name to make it sound trendy – it worked.

geoffj

Northern Quarter is a completely made up name to make it sound trendy – it worked.

Indeed.

edit – some sage advice here – http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g187069-d732222-r193071365-This_That-Manchester_Greater_Manchester_England.html

🙂

binners

Where did you and your ironic flat cap end up then geoff?

geoffj

Where did you and your ironic flat cap end up then geoff?

I had a wander up the Northern Quarter before grabbing an Ostrich Burger from the street food bit of Piccadilly Gardens (with your comments about pop up restaurants going through my mind) and now I’ve retired to The Mayfield in the station for a pint of wife beater before the train back north in 15 minutes.

Quite successful really.

AlexSimon

My wife loved This & That. But then I knew she would. (I also warned here about the toilets).

binners

glad you had a successful afternoon fella. And an Ostrich Burger could be the very embodiment of the Northern Quarter. It is really wanly, but you’d be hard pushed to dislike the place. Well worth spending a drunken evening (or afternoon) touring the bars there

tomhoward

Pinarello shop in town,,,, according to my mate

Yep, the bike room on deansgate. 4 pinarellos in the window last time I went past, 3 of them had 5 figure prices tags. The other was a supermega hipster fixie.

globalti
    Free Member

If you wanted some culture the City Art Gallery has some stunning pre-Raphaelite art, considered vulgar by serious Victorians but collected enthusiastically by northern industrial cities with their new money and now highly valued. Also the main hall in the amazing Manchester town hall is worth a visit for the murals by Byrne-Jones.

tiggs121
    Free Member

There’s a wee footie team near Salford looking for players – nip over and ask for a trial?

You can’t be much worse than the current incumbents!

mrchrispy

default answer is MOSI so its aint that spooky.

Pinarello shop has some awesome bike, I just can see myself ever having enough money to buy something from there!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘An hour to kill in Manchester this afternoon – inspire me!’ is closed to new replies.