Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 133 total)
  • An honest question, hopefully honest answers
  • bassspine
    Free Member

go for it!

grahamt1980

Definately 1, will also look at the bike and be impressed thats its holding up, as most often when you see overweight people they are on halfords specials which are hardly designed for heavy people.
    And BTW that mechanic is a tw*t for pointing and laughing

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Thank you for your honesty. I'll sit a little taller on my bike next time I go out.

You go for it lady! Treat people how you'd like to be treated and let karma pick up the pieces!

joolsburger
    Free Member

Some people are cocks, plain and simple.

Stick with it.

amplebrew

I've always found us mountain bikers to be a friendly, chatty and outgoing bunch.

All one family 'us against the world and we have something special that the others don't know about' type of thing 🙂

GJP
    Free Member

Never happens. It always seems to be some morbidly obese person who is riding past me these days and then I am definitely in camp 2 😆

miaowing_kat
    Free Member

for some reason, I've never really clocked fat mountainbikers – perhaps their size is better disguised? if I see an overweight jogger though I always think 'good on them'

anyway, having skimmed through your blog, must say big respect to you: Mountain biking is a very steep learning curve, especially for females who pick it up after not having ridden for years (in my experience anyway!) – and tbh, we are a bit more self-conscious than men. I'm slim but very unfit at the moment, and it's bloody painful at times, especially when all these men are zooming past effortlessly 🙁

hug
    Free Member

I reckon they deserve a very big large lump of respect bearing in mind what their legs are having to pedal uphill, as for downhill the suddenly gravity's your best mate. Also as i'm learning once you "suddenly" put on 2&1/2 stone trying to unload it is like trying to cut granite with a childs toothbrush.

jordie
    Free Member

Just keep going you have found something you really like doing.If that mechanic was any good on a bike he would be riding instead of being somebodies pit bitch.

loulouk
    Free Member

Self conscious. Oh yes. Horribly so. Everyone else in baggy shorts & jerseys & me in skiing wicking base layers & combats cos nothing else will fit 🙂
    It's odd, I always notice other peoples bikes before the people riding them too – curiosity. I didn't realise no one else was seeing me either. Makes me feel much better.
    I removed the nationality from the mechanic. It's irrelevant. And unfortunate that the person at Glentress making horrible comments in French to his friend didn't realise my French is good enough to understand. But it's still irrelevant. Misconceptions come in all nationalities.

amplebrew

I removed the nationality from the mechanic. It's irrelevant. And unfortunate that the person at Glentress making horrible comments in French to his friend didn't realise my French is good enough to understand. But it's still irrelevant. Misconceptions come in all nationalities

You should have replied something back in French 🙂

The look on their face……………. priceless 🙂 hee hee

cinnamon_girl

Can I say "well done" for getting out there? Sounds as though it was a quite an achievement so be proud of yourself.

I can honestly say that mountain bikers are actually the least judgemental – you like riding bikes and that's all that matters. Anything else doesn't really get clocked, it's a broad church.

I always used to feel self-conscious at group rides, accompanied by my mid-life crisis bike. Everyone seemed younger than me and surely they thought I should have been at the knitting circle. There was no reason to, there are some terrific people in the mtb community.

If you're ever down South and fancy a guided tour around Swinley Forest, e-mail in profile.

Very best of luck and hang in there. 😀

Tiger6791

Arn't most MTB overweight and middle aged?

I know I am and therefore I don't judge I just think good on ya!

(my BMI when I restarted my biking was 33.2)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Fair f**king play is what I'd think.

I'm the first in the queue when it comes to bashing the Pastry Positive but if you're out there doing something about it and doing something that I also love then RESPECT!

loulouk
    Free Member

Re: French – it was halfway up from Osprey to Buzzards at Glentress, you think I had breath for a retort? :O)
    cinammon_girl – Thank you. I'd struggle to keep up right now, but give me a year, ok?
    Tiger – What is it now if you don't mind me asking? Inspiration is _good_.

Pauly

"Fair play" is what I think as well. Good on you.

Rich
    Free Member

It can be hard but please try not to let what other people think or say, affect the way you think about yourself, as it is your own thoughts that beat you up!

Stay positive and just think how much nicer and non-judgemental you are.

🙂

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Loulouk –

My ex was a large girl, falling into the obese category at 5'4" & almost 15 stone. She bought a bike but wouldn't really try on it, the most she would do was to ride to the pub along the canal. One day i met her at the pub in tears because some lads had laughed & made hurtful comments about her size. She never touched the bike again.

The difference is, you are trying and having fun. She jacked it in and sat on the sofa feeding her face whilst obsessing about David bloody Tennant!
    I'm a skinny whippet at 9.5 stone & i understand that being over 5 stone heavier than your boyfriend can/will be horrible for a woman – the difference is that even when she went to the docs for a hip problem, she dismissed his opinion because he told her it was weight related & to lose it if she wanted to see an improvement.
    You are out, about & active – and that is always good to see.

Keep calm & keep pedalling 8)

markenduro
    Free Member

Biking is the only excercise that I will do, don't like running, hate the gym and walking is for poor people who can't afford bikes and is far too slow for getting anywhere.
    Good on you for getting out and don't let a couple of comments by **** put you off. I'm no lightweight and up hills are not my favourite, however I think it helps on the downs due to gravity rather liking me…

cranberry
    Free Member

As someone who went from morbidly obese to merely obese ( and happy ) on some of the same trails you use and has more or less given up on riding in the last 2 years reversing the journey – I say bloody good on you for getting out of the trails and enjoying it.

I'm surprised regarding the overwhelmingly positive responses on this thread – its really good to see a less judgemental side of STW.

miaowing_kat
    Free Member

lou- same invitation extends from me if you're ever up Glentress-way again. if you're worried about holding people back then fair enough, but I've happily dragged my brother and plenty of friends round who could only just about ride a bike.. plus, it's always fun to go riding with someone else 🙂

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I just think 'good on ya'. (I'm a bit of a lardy myself but I consider myself as a 'fairly fit' lardy!)

Anna-B
    Free Member

Just read your blog too. I see a really overweight guy cycle up my road regularly, and I always feel kind of proud of him for cycling. I'm sure he gets his fair share of mean comments from the kids round here, but he keeps on going. Some people will be cruel about anything, one of my favourite retorts when I was 2.5 stone heavier until last year, was "I can go on a diet, you'll always be a tw*t" Fair enough if you're too out of breath for retorts though!

Good for you loulouk and good luck.

Edit/PS don't worry about the cycling clothing thing, the sizes are notoriously small anyway. As a 12/14 now, I'm considered Large, rather than the XL I was at 16/18, and I've never seen bike clothes in more than XL. All very shortsighted… maybe there's a gap in the market here!

Woody
    Free Member

My general experience of the biking community has been awesome.

There you go, why let one (or two) morons spoil your enjoyment and take heart from all the +ve comments and encouragement.

There are plenty cyclists out there, myself included, who are a million miles from being race whippets, so as long as you enjoy it who cares what other people think.

tazzymtb

as an ex big boy* all I can say is keep going, it does get easier with time. If you enjoy yourself you won't notice how hard you exercise. Bruce lee always talked about "serious play" as the best form of training and that sums up mountain biking perfectly. You will always get nobends in any walk of life, but most "proper" bikers are decent if somewhat odd folks.

*now a weight weenie with a few body dysmorphia hangups 😕

neilnevill
    Free Member

Good effort Loulouk! Annd I reckon the best response to the idiots is just a big beaming smile that shows them how much you are enjoying riding your bike 😀 Mtbing isn't a fashion contest or image thing….except for shiny bke bits perhaps 😉 It's just about having fun, so carry on!

That said, I know it is hard to ignore other people being so rude 👿

samuri
    Free Member

option 1 from the OP and sorry to hear of your experiences, there really are some idiots out there. Don't let them bother you and carry on.

Tiger6791

Tiger – What is it now if you don't mind me asking? Inspiration is _good_.

It is now into the merely overweight category!

BMI is 28.3 now (taken since December so it's a slow old grind but worth plugging away at) 😀

2 more months at the same rate and I'm into "Normal" that's something that hasn't been "Normal" for 15 years

epicyclo

loulouk – Member
    …I'm the 'morbidly obese' rider in the question….
    …All it took was one mechanic laughing his ass off while pointing at me to ruin my day….

Don't worry, you can fix your problem, but that mechanic will always be an asshole. Pity him.

Keep it up and enjoy the scenery.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

All it took was one mechanic laughing his ass off while pointing at me to ruin my day.

Bar ends on riser bars ?

GW
    Free Member

What do you think when you ride past a 'morbidly obese' person out on the trails? Yay, good on you, go for it, or **** off back to your sofa you fat knacker?

neither, I'd generally just say "thanks" (for letting me pass) or "hello".

Talkemada
    Free Member

A person, who by their own definition is 'morbidly obese', comes on STW, asks for honest opinions, reads them, and then says that they feel lifted by the responses?

Jeeze, that takes some courage. Fair play. This forum needs more folk like you, and less of the prejudiced idiots. I hope you'll be a regular fixture on here from now on, and part of the 'community'.

Excellent! Good this.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Jeeze, that takes some courage.

Only if you're bothered what a bunch of random strangers on an internet forum think.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Well, it seems that Loulouk does. So, yes, she's got some courage.

Unlike you, what is a nasty, hateful, heartless bastard who has no feelings for anything or anyone. In place of your heart, is a lump of cold, hard stone.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well, it seems that Loulouk does.

Well she needs to WTFU and not worry about the opinions of inconsequential people. Either on forums, or on the trails.

That's a TopTip that is 💡

Talkemada
    Free Member

I think she is. She's out there riding her bike, in spite of other people's insensitivity. Getting over it and getting on with things. Nice one.

Now, you, on the other hand; No-one wants to see you out on a bike, because that black hole of a 'heart' of yours sucks up all joy from anyone around you. Flowers wilt and die, children are reduced to tears, and the sun disappears, plunging the World into darkness. Your not allowed near dairy cattle, lest you turn the milk.

I am willing to help you return to the land of happiness and joy, however. Come, take my hand, and let us dance once more into the light….

Don't try to touch my bottom though you dirty bastard. I know your type.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Now, you, on the other hand; No-one wants to see you out on a bike….

But everyone enjoys seeing a circus midget on a bike.

When you coming down to Leith Hill next ?

Talkemada
    Free Member

Marvellous. Have a go at someone for their size, eh? Nice. Cos, that's sensitive, eh? 🙁

i was at Holmbury Hill last Saturday. The new end bit of BKB is brilliant! Proper fast berms. And they were doing free ice-cream and milkshakes at the shop in Peaslake. Dunno when we're coming down again though. Depends on my driver's licence status… 😯

ratherbeintobago

Loulouuk – Don't know if you've seen the Amazing Shrinking Gaz on another fora, but his blog may be of some interest to you.

Andy

pitduck
    Free Member

(ernie_lynch) – Bar ends on riser bars ? 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 133 total)

The topic ‘An honest question, hopefully honest answers’ is closed to new replies.