Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • An Apple fanboy question about going backwards.
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

OK, firstly I used to hate Apple but now I’m fully converted & only use their products as I like the simplicity of them all talking to each other & the fact that I don’t have to work around using iTunes for music.
    I’m happy with my mac & iPad but my problem started when I moved from a very sensibly sized iPhone 3GS to a 5, I just find it a bit big for what I use it for, which TBH is talk, text, iTunes & camera. There are other apps I love, but TBH I can live without most/all of them.

Now for the strange bit, my 5 contract is up & I have been offered the new iphone6, would it be absolutely bonkers to go for a 4S over the new offering whilst they are still available? I’m worried about the support for older apple stuff as they seem not to care about the people who bought it, but I have only a few weeks ago upgraded my 5 to the latest IOS & I can’t see any improvement 🙁

The phone is a work one so I don’t pay for it, so no money saving incentive in this question.

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

jam-bo

Unless there is something groundbreaking in the iphone 6 I’ll probably get a 64gb 5s when my contrAct renewal comes up next week. I think the 4s would be a real step back other than size.

Work phone to no incentive not too before someone tells me how much the phone might cost me.

Jamie
    Free Member

If it’s a size thing, I would ditch Apple and go for the upcoming Sony Z3 Compact.

http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/products/phones/xperia-z3-compact/

I would not go back to a 4S. I currently have a 4, and it’s slow, and getting slower as newer apps are optimised to work with the faster chipsets. The same thing will happen with the 4S, and it will do your head in.

Cletus

Wait for the iPhone Nano to launch (caution properly vapourwear)

jam-bo

Oh that looks tempting. When’s the Z3 compact being released?

tonyd

I wouldn’t go back, will the 6 be that much bigger than a 5? I have a 5 and don’t think it’s particularly massive, not a lot bigger than a 4s and I’m sure it’s slimmer and lighter.

Edit: Oh, a bit bigger then

http://www.macrumors.com/roundup/iphone-6/

Jamie
    Free Member

Oh that looks tempting. When’s the Z3 compact being released?

Pre-order for all networks was announced from today. No firm release date, tho.

I’m worried about the support for older apple stuff as they seem not to care about the people who bought it

Apple, up to iOS8 being released, have still supported a 4 year old phone in the iPhone 4. That’s not too bad.

loddrik
    Free Member

Am on a 5s now, don’t think I’d want to go any bigger with my girly hands. Wife has a 4s though and it’s a bit laggy, this’ll only be exacerbated with ios8 i’m sure.

fisha
    Free Member

I would say it would be bonkers to go back to the 4S ( which has its issues I found when upgraded to the latter OS versions ).

I think it would be worth waiting a week till the formal announcement of Apple’s latest rounds of devices ( expected to be the next phones ). I don’t think the current iP5 form factor will be going anywhere, so once the new phones are out, there should be better deals on the existing hardware formats.

Is it really just the size that bothers you at the moment? My wife had a iP4s whilst I had an iP5, and it really noticed how small the 4s screen was, and just how much information got lost on it compared to the longer 5 screen. Have you used an old 4 recently, now you’ve had the 5 for a while? You may be surprised at how much of a difference there is. I didn’t notice the step upwards, but really noticed the step downwards.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Thank you all.
    Jamie, what Sony call mini now appears to have larger dimensions to the current 5, I’m not sure it’s a direction I wont to go in 😕

Cheers.

CountZero

Now for the strange bit, my 5 contract is up & I have been offered the new iphone6, would it be absolutely bonkers to go for a 4S over the new offering whilst they are still available? I’m worried about the support for older apple stuff as they seem not to care about the people who bought it, but I have only a few weeks ago upgraded my 5 to the latest IOS & I can’t see any improvement

Sorry, but that’s bollocks, for all sorts of reasons. Apple maintain support long after most other manufacturers would have given up on a given device. It’s still possible to use an iPhone 3G, although you won’t get the latest whizzy OS, but that’s fine, because the very simple to understand fact is that electronic devices are under continual development, and always have been. As the hardware improves, software does the same, and older devices, with less RAM, slower processors and system architecture will struggle to run a newer OS. Plus, by comparison, everything else being equal, the older device is going to be slower. It can’t be anything else.
    I have a ten year old PowerBook, it still runs, it has an OS that still gets some updates. But that machine runs on completely different architecture; it’s PowerPC, not Intel, and Apple can’t be expected to give full support to such an old machine, we have a couple of Mac desktop towers at work, both of which still work, but both are around fourteen years old. Do you expect Apple to still offer full support for machines that it’s almost impossible to find 3rd-party apps that will run on it?
    Same with iPhones; it’s not just that the OS evolves continually to take advantage of increasing speeds in the main and graphics processors, but the apps are being, generally, upgraded all the time.
    I still have, and use, an iPhone 4, but frankly, it’s really bloody slow by comparison to my iP5; frustratingly so at times. Why should Apple continue to give full support to something that’s now four years old! It has iOS 7 on it, but that only up to 7.1.1. It only has 512Mb of RAM, though! And it’s processor is 1GHz, single core; the A8 in the iP6 likely to be 2GHz, dual-core.
    It came with iOS 4, so still being able to run an OS three generations on is remarkable, frankly.
    Buy an Android device, and if you’re not careful, you could easily find it has no means for the OS to be upgraded further; it’s effectively disposable.
    Unless you have l337 h4k3r sk1llz. 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

TL;DR

CZ really likes Apple. Android, not so much.

ebygomm
    Free Member

All manufacturers phones are getting bigger, the new HTC mini is bigger than a lot of their older models. Mine is on its last legs and I’m struggling to find anything the same size. Really don’t want anything bigger.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘An Apple fanboy question about going backwards.’ is closed to new replies.