• This topic has 67 replies, 45 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Moe.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Americanisms – who wins?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Personally I think torch beats flashlight into a cocked hat but I'd have to concede cellphone is better than mobile phone.

Any others..?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I'd have to concede cellphone is better than mobile phone.

Do what? Do **** what??? 'Cellphone'? WTF is that??

'Mobile' 'phone is far, far better. It's a 'phone, that is mobile. WTF is a 'cell', other than something I've sat in on far too many occasions?

THREAD CREATION FAIL STRAIGHT AWAY WITH ORIGINAL POST/ER.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

WTF is a 'cell'

it's the region serviced by a mast…

RoterStern
    Free Member

Winningest!

Hohum
    Free Member

I don't know how to start this reply to be honest…

Americanisms boil my blood to be honest, they really do.

My children watch those American children programmes like Hannah Montana, Sonny with a Chance (some of those girls are quite fit!), those two wee **** who used to be in a hotel and are now on a fooking boat, plus many more

Get America out of our lives, please!

loddrik
    Free Member

My 4 year old daughter asked me what 'toadally' means the other day! Too much nikelodeon methinks…

Northwind

Cell sounds terrible but cellphone's OK by me.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

IE, a region then? So it's a 'regionphone'.

Region indeed. Serviced by a mast? You've been grotting far too much.

A 'cell' is something you spend the night in if you've been naughty. At worst it's a singular thingy you use to power an electrical device.

In France a mobile is called a 'portable'.

Or is that a laptop?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

IE, a region then? So it's a 'regionphone'.

no, it's called a 'cell'

You've been grotting far too much.

I'm not familiar with that verb

A 'cell' is something you spend the night in if you've been naughty

a small room
    a component of an electrical battery
    a part of an organism
    a group of people working together in secret
    a section of a thunderstorm
    that's all the others I can bring to mind now

Kahurangi

Elf – cellphone makes a lot of sense when you consider that each mast centres a 'cell'. As opposed to a satellite phone. Which is also mobile.

"Sidewalk" beaks "pavement" (function vs. construction)
    "Boot" beats "trunk"

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

no, it's called a 'cell'

Who by, Americans?

So, it could quite easily be called a sector, a compartment, a pod, a space, etc.

No bollocks to that once again I am right it's a telephone what can be mobile there for it is a mobile telephone, a mobile 'phone, a mobile.

DISCUSSION CLOSED

loddrik
    Free Member

Elfinsafety = failed attempt at humour 🙄

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Anyone who thinks Americanisms rock is a douche-bag!

retro83
    Free Member

'I could care less what you think' 🙁

ARGH!

Also burgled vs buglarized. Don't know which is technically correct, but I find the latter doth boil my widdle.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Aloominum: Americans correct.

Momentarilty: I love their useage (In a moment) as it winds brits up.

Garden: It is not a back yard.

Car Park: Not a parking lot.

Cellphone: a mobile phone you carry around your house and it uses a base station. I have a Mobile cellular Telephone.

zokes
    Free Member

simonfbarnes – Member

WTF is a 'cell'

It's also another name for a battery, which is why I think you'll find the seppos call them cellphones

joolsburger
    Free Member

Could be worse Germans call them Handis, Handyphone FFS

kevonakona
    Free Member

Sidewalk!!! Oh come on, by extension the road should be called the middledrive.

Inconsistency, that's the problem with the colonials.

boblo
    Free Member

Dint the first UK mobile company call itself 'Cellnet'? In some places in the Far East they are called 'Hand Phones' which makes sense to me.

Gotten? Can I get? OMG? For Crying out loud, **** off and pollute somewhere else…..

BoardinBob

Cerran wrap is much better than cling film

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Reading some of these posts, it's no wonder American culture tends to ignore the rest of the world. There's a reason why the founders went there to escape in the first place.

Little Britain indeed.

nickjb
    Free Member

It wont be long now until everybody in the world speaks English. That's good for us, less good for the French, Germans, etc. The concession is that it will be American English. Its a shame but that's life. I suspect English English will go the way of Welsh or Gaelic.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Oh, and of course "Elfinsafety" is trying to promote Islam elsewhere on this forum. Here, it's anti-Americanism. He claims to have "grown quite distant from the Muslim side of (his) family" from Islam but I'm wondering what his real agenda is… 👿

Hairychested
    Free Member

Sneakers, highway, cellphone.
    Did I mention soccer?

Hairychested
    Free Member

I suspect English English will go the way of Welsh or Gaelic.

So it'll be taught in schools then. And no swearwords in its vocabulary! Result!

boblo
    Free Member

I don't think it's 'Little England' to try and retain just a little independant culture is it?

The problems with 'Americanisms' is they are all pervading, just look at the Nicholodian comment above. Our own media buy in the bulk of their stuff from the US these days and this means UK kids grow up thinking they are from the 51st state.

Why is it that the majority of teenage girls these days have voices that sound like they've a 40 a day Capstan full strength habit and litter their dialogue with 'OMG' and 'like' etc? It's telly innit.

Trouble is, we're losing a little bit of our independant identity in the same way that you can go anywhere in the world now and see largely the same stuff….

bassspine
    Free Member

what's mobile about a mobile phone? Mine just lies there, it hasn't got legs or wheels.

johnnywhitesox
    Free Member

It's not a line it's a queue!

sslowpace
    Free Member

The use of the word 'like' at every inopportune moment. It was, like, totally, like, awsome, like and, like, awsome. like. Eff off!

Oh, and my old line manager used to call everyone 'guys'. Tosser.

Bez

Meh to most differences – there's very little right and wrong, just branches of evolution – potato, potato, let's call the whole thing off because it's just not very interesting unless your aim in life is to appear on Grumpy Old Men/Women, which would make you a bigoted, stupid, misguidedly pedantic reactionary arse of the highest order.

The one I don't get, however, is "I could care less", which is American for "I couldn't care less" and is clearly, like, so duh.

jonb
    Free Member

mikertroid – Member

Aloominum: Americans correct.

Only if you can't read. They seem to have missed out a letter.

AluminIum

grumm
    Free Member

The only thing that really annoys me is that many of the teenage girls round here literally speak with a mid-Atlantic accent and every other word is 'like'. 😡

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

"Must have forgotten it at home"

👿

TooTall
    Free Member

No bollocks to that once again I am right

Fred in shocking self-righteous-inaccurate trolling thread shock

🙄

ourmaninthenorth

Gotten?

Ah, the small minded English speaker who forgets that this was once a regularly used word in spoken and written English. Only, they also forget that, when various English speakers escaped various iniquities and domestic tyranny, they took with them words they found had a continued use and value.

Indeed, Americans also developed a simpler relationship between spelling and pronunciation, viz Hertford became Hartford. Same pronunciation, but rationalized spelling.

Oh, and before you try to pick me up on the use of "z" in "rationalized", might I refer you to the standard English usage prior to the "s" becoming the preferred spelling in Britain in the 20th Century.

Thick people. Boils my piss, so to speak.

Macavity
    Free Member

Deeeeeecal
    what happened to sticker or transfer?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Oh, and of course "Elfinsafety" is trying to promote Islam elsewhere on this forum. Here, it's anti-Americanism. He claims to have "grown quite distant from the Muslim side of (his) family" from Islam but I'm wondering what his real agenda is…

Well, obviously, as I'm Brown, my real agenda is about bringing down the decadent Western civilisation and replacing it with Sharia Law.

Come and discuss it with me over a pint.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

"Solutioneering" is a current buzzword at our work & i'd wager it's floated across the pond from the States…

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Elevator / lift, freeway / motorway, skyscraper/ high-rise, yanks win

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"and my old line manager used to call everyone 'guys'. Tosser."

I prefer "chaps" or "gentlemen".

Whilst I'm not anti-French, I slightly prefer the original spellings that came across from Latin: color, flavor. It's all inconsistent though: Brits don't complain about honor. And the yanks named their space shuttle "Endeavour".

Not worth worrying about.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Americanisms – who wins?’ is closed to new replies.