Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • American Classic rear hub disassembly – I'm stumped!
  • JoeG
    Free Member

I have a Ritchey branded American Classic made rear hub from about 2005 that has sat around for a number of years. They’re nice hubs with the 6 pawl mechanism but I can’t for the life of me figure out how to get it apart! 😳

There are no wrench flats or internal hex shape for a hex key on the end caps. There are two 19 mm nuts on the nondrive side, but those are for adjustment to remove lateral play. The hub is old enough that I don’t see tech documents on Am Classic’s website. And tomorrow is Thanksgiving here in the US so probably no way to contact them till Monday! 😥

Does anyone know how to get this apart or where I might find some instructions?

DSCN1780 by Joe____, on Flickr

DSCN1778 by Joe____, on Flickr

Greybeard
    Free Member
    JoeG
    Free Member

Graybeard – that looks right. When I tried to remove the outer lock nut, it seemed to stop against the axle end cap. I’ll print that out and try again this evening. Thanks!

wwaswas

doc says that the end cap is just a press fit so I’d keep undoing the lock nut, making sure the axle doesn’t turn and it should push the end cap off as it undoes.

JoeG
    Free Member

Graybeard – those instructions were it!

wwaswa – I think that was the hangup when I worked on it yesterday. I unscrewed the locknut, but it stopped at the end of the axle thread, but the end cap was still holding it on. I didn’t want to force it. I’ve never, ever broken anything before while working on my bike* 🙄 and didn’t want this hub to be the first. 😆 So, per the instructions you unscrew the locknut then follow with the adjusting nut which pushes the end cap off.

The hub is now disassembled, degreased, and drying. I’ll put it back together later tonight or maybe tomorrow. (If I didn’t lose any parts! 😳 )

*This may not be exactly correct.

JoeG
    Free Member

All back together now! Just need to adjust the lateral play, but need to put it in a frame to do that.

Thanks!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘American Classic rear hub disassembly – I'm stumped!’ is closed to new replies.