Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • American classic hubs tale of woe
  • ibnchris

So…this weekend I went for a mucky muddy ride in the chilterns. The rigid ss swift was an obvious choice for this kind of occasion. I know we all know the real reason for riding ss is to prove our manliness to each other but I did always think the was an element of truth in the ‘less to go wrong’ thing.

Imagine my surprise when an hours ride from home my freewheel failed to connect. A long walk home (interspersed with bits of freewheeling). I’d noticed the pick up was getting a bit ropey before so I took it apart and cleaned the pawls etc. And it all performed well for the first couple of hours, and then started to fail before complete meltdown.

What else could have caused it? Something other than the pawls? Me taking it apart and putting together again? How much does it cost to get a hub properly serviced? And who would do it in London do you think?

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Not totally sure about their SS hubs but the geared hubs have a circular spring that has a pointed bit coming out of either side . This is the part that causes the freehub to engage and with use it wears down until you eventually have no drive . You can take it out and grind a new point onto it but that’s a bit of a temporary fix . The other solution is a new freehub body . I don’t know if this information directly translates to your ss hub but it seems likely to me .

Baznav
    Free Member

yes all American classic wheels use the same innards.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘American classic hubs tale of woe’ is closed to new replies.