Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • American classic front 130 hub bent axle destroyed forks
  • Janesy
    Free Member

So a little history with my mountain bike. I had 2011 SIDS and the lowers bent and had them replaced under warranty, they have just gone and done it again in the last month (so I think), I have replaced them with a set of Reba’s from On One.

Thing is, the wheel sits straight as you’d expect, tried both sides to make sure, but when compressed the wheel looks like its leaning towards the disc side. Hence, I’m guessing why my previous forks bent. 😈

The hub is an American Classic 130 disc, good hub and I can buy a new axle from http://www.justridingalong.co.uk for under £20

Question is, is it likely to be the QR axle?, bearings seem smooth with no play, I dont want to throw ££ at this… common thing?

njee20
    Free Member

Take the axle out and roll it along a flat surface, it should be pretty obvious if its bent.

wwaswas

I can’t see how compressing the forks without rolling the bike forward will cause a bent axle to change the rim position relative to the stanchions as it will be static?

Have you tried a different wheel?

Cheezpleez

Spoke tension?

Janesy
    Free Member

Thanks for advice. in the end I gave it to the lbs to true the wheel and check it out.

busy day whoa..

d45yth
    Free Member

I’ve seen play like that which was down to the skewer not tightening properly…I think the skewer cam was worn and was loosening slightly after going past a certain point. It wasn’t my bike, so I don’t know all the ins and outs.

STATO
    Free Member

The forks have a spring in one side and damper in the other, so when compressed on side will be fighting to extend, the other stay compressed. The fork arch is there to keep the lowers acting together so you should not notice any ‘flexing’ as you explain. The wheel will also add stiffness through the QR on the axle.

As you are seeing this flex it could be that your QR is poor or not tight enough, not adding to stiffness of the fork. Might also be worth checking your wheel spoke tension, as mentioned above spokes are shorter on that side so could just be wheel flex, quick way to check is flip wheel round and put it in backwards.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘American classic front 130 hub bent axle destroyed forks’ is closed to new replies.