Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Amazon prime as good as netflix?
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

for movies, documentaries and TV series?.

molgrips
    Free Member

Er.. they are both equal I’d say. Bit more up-to-date stuff, but the latest seasons you have to pay additionally for. But it’s cheap.

We have both – good coverage, and still cheap.

northernmatt

As molgrips says they are much the same. Some crossover between them but each have their own exclusive things that are worth the money. We have both but only because the mrs has a kindle and signed up for prime for that mainly.

aaron-bangor
    Free Member

student rate on prime is good if you can wangle it. my wife was doing a pt course and got it. watched rush on it the other night, great film!

molgrips
    Free Member

Seem to have watched more Amazon lately. Currently ploughing through Haven, which is ok – five series of it on there though!

AdamW
    Free Member

“Transparent” was free last Saturday on Prime so I took a peek.

Really interesting, slightly funny in places and very sympathetic to trans people. You can see from the acting and story why it won two Golden Globes.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Prime subscription gives you free next day delivery, plus selected Instant Videos are free (some in HD) but not all the library. You still have to pay for a lot of it.

Not sure how much the “free” (that you’re paying for with subscription) content compares to Netflix though. However last time I tried Netflix the quality sucked. Prime Instant Video stuff is okay, but varies with content. The HD stuff seems to be quite good. Classic TV shows in SD can be a bit poorly encoded compared to DVD.

Just wish we could stream stuff we’ve already bought on disc for no fee, much like the included streaming options for certain CDs you buy. I believe US version of Amazon offers this for video now.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Pain in the arse to set up. Only ended up with amazon prim by accident and we only have an android tablet. Several different apps, got to make sure you install the correct one otherwise your system will not work very poor IMO. Situation may have improved since december. I hope so as it was a joke when we tried in december.

hilldodger
    Free Member

For Android I just use Showbox, free and apparently legit – cancelled my Amazon prime when they hiked the price to include “free” Netflix

ktaylor
    Free Member

I think Amazon Prime might be slightly better on content. However Netflix can use Chromecast which is a massive plus. Also Netflix has more series of the US “The Office” which I’ve acquired some sort of chemical dependency on!

deadkenny
    Free Member

I’ve got the Amazon app on my Samsung Smart TV, so no hassle setting up other than trying to type in an email address and password using the TV remote 😀 . Works great except for some minor audio glitches on occasion, which seem related to the Dolby Digital stream and is a known issue looking at Samsung forums. More likely a TV or Smart TV issue than Amazon’s app.

zilog6128

A mate has the Amazon Fire TV which works great with Prime (obviously!) I tried out Prime with the 1 month free trial and while the content was good, it wasn’t user-friendly. To watch on my iPad (unless I was doing it wrong?) I had to “authorise” the content on the Amazon website (which doesn’t have a great interface) and then watch it on the iPad app. There also didn’t seem to be an easy way of watching on a non-smart TV – I did it by connecting a PC to the telly via HDMI and then watching it from the Amazon website. It works, but it’s not exactly slick.

Netflix has equivalent (but different) stuff but is a lot easier/slicker e.g. plugins for Apple TV, XBMC/Kodi, etc

For Android I just use Showbox, free and apparently legit

You honestly think it is legit when you can watch films which are still in the cinema, for free and with no ads? 🙄

warton
    Free Member

with the HOLA app on chrome, you can easily switch between US and UK netflix, so for me Netflix is miles better…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Amazon prime as good as netflix?’ is closed to new replies.