Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Amazon Echo – anyone got one that works
  • Cletus

So Amazon Echo has just been delivered. Have plugged the unit in and installed the Alexa app on my iPhone but nothing seems to be happening. Just displaying a white page with “amazonalexa” and a spinning gadget.

After 20 minutes tried installing the app on an Android phone with the sane results.

Not the triumph Amazon was touting.

Anyone else bought one? – if yes is it working?

Cletus

Working now but took a while. Voice search seems pretty good

BobaFatt
    Free Member

What is it for?

robowns
    Free Member

It’s a subpar Bluetooth speaker that offers the functionality you already have on a smartphone. What’s the point?

footflaps

It’s the ultimate GCHQ / NSA creation. Everything you say in your house is piped direct to their servers for analysis.

Cletus

For me it is a radio replacement. I am also going to look at getting it to control devices, heating etc.

Kryton57

For me itd just replace me shouting my wifes name with Alexa, on the one hand id get more willing feedback, on the other it doesnt cook dinner*

*unless you can order a pizza by voice control?

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Mine was set up in seconds. Not sure i will ever tire of asking it to play a band amd it comes on. Music quality is good.seems very customisable with phone and most radio stations are on it. I think it will evolve ito something v useful. Basics like weather and music seem to work perfectly. Not sure about thus buying stuff from amazon with my voice though….

johnnystorm

It’s a subpar Bluetooth speaker that offers the functionality you already have on a smartphone. What’s the point?

It sits in one place with a power supply so it’s always there
    It’s not anyone individuals device so again, it’s always there
    It does actually sound pretty good, certainly as good as the dab radio it’s replacing

Not exactly life changing but it has its uses.

*unless you can order a pizza by voice control?

There is a justeat plug in and it suggests something like “re-order my last takeaway” 😀

jimdubleyou

Disappointingly, they appear to have patched the capability to define your own custom wake words 🙁

“Bellend, play spotify”

legend
    Free Member

stevemuzzy – Member

Mine was set up in seconds. Not sure i will ever tire of asking it to play a band amd it comes on.

Is it linked purely to Amazon Music? Or can it get tunes from somewhere that might actually have what you’re looking for?

superfli
    Free Member

Its bloody brilliant!
    Whole family is using it in the kitchen. Tune In radio stations on all day, shopping lists updating. Checked weather, football scores, some jokes and also asked it who the fairest of them all was…

Oh the nay sayers who havent actually tried or listened to it. You get them all the time for whatever the subject.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

BT hub compat issues I think I just read?

martinh
    Free Member

Alexa, sing happy birthday

RichPenny
    Free Member

Alexa, do you love me?

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Legend. It connects to prime or your phone so whatever you have saved on the phone. Prime has *stations* which are named after a band ie snow patrol and it plas some snow partol plus lots of other songs like snow patrol stuff. The voice rec seems amazing,even with my stirling twang.

Cletus

I suspect Alexa is a Manyoo fan in denial. I asked her what the United score was earlier and she told me they were not playing 😆 Thursday night football!

dudeofdoom

i likey mine…….

It’s pretty cool as said the voice recognition is impressive.

woffle
    Free Member

I found it easier to setup via the web page on my laptop rather than the app on iOS which was disappointingly flaky.

Works a treat. The selection of skills leaves a little to be desired but hopefully it’ll continue to mature as per the US…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Amazon Echo – anyone got one that works’ is closed to new replies.