Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Amateur wheel builders – spoke re-use?
  • druidh
    Free Member

Assuming you might end up building more wheels for yourself in future, do you retain any old spokes & nipples you’re taking out of wheels? They all look in good nick/no damage so I can’t see why not.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Yes, I do with spokes, assuming no damage.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d answer but I’m a pro 😀

yes,

barrykellett
    Free Member

Yes

burnie
    Free Member

I do but I don’t know why as I never use them.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i do for my personal wheels , but i wouldnt do it for a paying customer

druidh
    Free Member

That’s what I was getting at 😆

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Hell yes!!
    Dug me out of a couple of holes, has keeping and reusing spokes!

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Yes.

Just built my first full wheel from scratch, so am an amateur.

But I have trued, replaced spokes, replaced a full set of alloy nips that were crumbling away, straightened a full pringle at the side of the trail so that I could ride back to the car.

If nothing else, you have a few spares for when you spot a broken spoke on the Saturday night before a Sunday ride.

jonathan
    Free Member

Always keep them, but have only used them once when doing an unexpected rebuild of a mate’s knackered wheel as a favour.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Yes.

bigdonx
    Free Member

Spokes – yes,

brass nipples – yes,

alloy nipples – NO, bin them as they are false (weight) economy, IMHO.

nedrapier

I’ve got a flat spot on a rim, and a spare rim to replace it with. I’m going to do teh side-by side switcheroo with all the same spokes and nipples, as long as they’re all in visual good order.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes but next time i will seperate them in to forn and rear and drive and non drive rather than place them all in a spoke box and guess at the length 😳

Out of all my sets of wheels i have ever built only 2 sets used new spokes – and i have reused them since

wwaswas

if you’re effectively re-rimming then taping old and new together and transferring spokes in situ and one at a time is the easiest way of doing it 🙂

PJM1974
    Free Member

Of course!

leffeboy

all the time. Of hand i think I normally get to 3 or 4 rim changes before I would think of changing spokes and I’m more likely just to buy a new wheel at that point.

spanishfly
    Free Member

Yes for spokes normally bin old nipples

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Amateur wheel builders – spoke re-use?’ is closed to new replies.